PDA

View Full Version : Boost problem Help!!

Eugheugh
05-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Of the forum members who have had one apart - Who can tell me if the round sheet metal 'Washer plate thing' behind the compressor wheel on a Garrett turbo is supposed to be 'floating' as i wonder if this is causing the boost problem on my TDI 130. I took the turbo apart to clean the VNT mechanism and thought 'is this supposed to be detached from the compressor wheel'. Can anyone help here as I cannot find any exploded diagrams of a Garrett.

chrisvrscrx
06-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Are you talking about a gasket i think I know what you mean but not sure, i've just replaced my turbo so I should know what you mean.

Eugheugh
06-07-2007, 03:32 PM
It's not a gasket but a 5 inch diameter sheet metal 'disc' that sits behind the three inch diameter turbine wheel. The disc moves about behind the turbine wheel and appears to be loose on the shaft. Problem is that I can't find anyone who knows if it supposed to be like this:aargh4:

Eugheugh
08-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Okay, to help anybody who doesn't have a clue what I'm on about - Here's a pic of my dissasembled turbo and the 'steel disc' in question-the disc can be seen behind the very sooted-up 'paddles' of the compressor wheel as a polished ring Please ignore the pen pointer to the actuator lever. Is this steel disc supposed to move up and down as it does on my turbo. I guess the only people capable of answering this wouldfile:///Users/paulvincent/Desktop/turbine%20wheel.JPG be Garrett themselves - has anybody got a contact anywhere? Please help as I am getting very depressed with the prospect of spending a grand that I don't have on a new turbo. file:///Users/paulvincent/Desktop/turbine%20wheel.JPG

chrisvrscrx
09-07-2007, 09:19 AM
The pic never worked!! Try rinning a turbo supplier, i was quoted about £500 for a brand new turbo and about £350-400 for a recon.