PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Pressure Monitor Retrofit?

Red 2
31-03-2011, 07:54 PM
At long last the Golf (Match) has turned up at the dealer.

But according to the dealer, the tyre pressure monitor option has been omitted in error and the salesman is being about as much help as the proverbial choccie teapot.

Can anyone elighten me as to whether the TPM can be retrofitted by software activation or does the Match not have the relevant hardware to start with?

Thanks.

Keithuk
01-04-2011, 01:01 AM
I think you need another ABS module and just programme the ecu. If this was part of the order then the dealer should correct this.

Red 2
01-04-2011, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the info.

Yes,planning to take delivery on condition retrofit follows. Let battle commence....

johnloaderuk
01-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info.

Yes,planning to take delivery on condition retrofit follows. Let battle commence....

Might be better not to take delivery until they have sorted it out. If you take delivery, then find they can't/won't sort it, despite any agreement, you will be stuck with the car. If the dealer can do it, should only take a few days. if that.

percymon
01-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Also you need to check the warranty position - items fitted by the dealer don't necessarily carry the same warranty cover and period as the factory warranty. Just check to avoid future issues !

You'll also need it adding to the vehicale spec as held against the VIN number, otherwise your insurance company may declare it a modification (albeit they'd have to look very hard, and be very arrogant, to find the option and justify it) in the case of a total loss.

dcdick
01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the info.

As has already been mentioned, DO NOT accept delivery until the car is as per ordered spec.

If you do take the car without the monitor it really will be "let battle commence"

Good luck

cb2001
01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Hi Red 2 I have good news and bad news for you. The Bad news you cant retro fit tyre pressure monitor, I just found out 1 day after receiving my
1.6tdi Match (3 weeks ago). My local dealer had me bring the car back to make sure I was not telling porky pies. The sale staff then had there camera
out taking pic to send to VW H/Office. And no they could not find it fitted, so it looks like I was telling the truth after all.
I rang a friend who works at a VW dealer in Brighton, and he confirmed the dealer can not fit as a retro item.
Now the good part. I paid £35.00 of my hard earned money for this little luxury and was not going down with out a fight
The dealer offer me £35.00 back and free gap insurance.
NO THANKS.
Well how about free paint guard.
NOPE , try again.
Well we can order another car but it will take 4-5 months, you of course can keep this car until it comes in.
No cant wait again as my winter 4x4 off the road in April.
Well what do you want ?
I will accept a removable towbar with factory electric pack no bypass system and a drawer under the passenger seat for the wife's make-up bag.
I think he was about to have a heart attack, but went to talk to dealer manager and came back with a YES they will, But there not happy.
So next week the car is booked in with them to fit.
Now I think that's the best £35.00 I've spent. To pay to have this to done at dealer would have cost £650.
When fitted next week I will let you know the dealers name.
So far I cant fault them, they matched the best internet price I could find and ended up putting a free set of carpets in as well.
So go and haggle for something you want. Its not something that you will miss that much in future, just get the wife to step outside and have a look at big black round things on the corners to see if there's a flat bit at the bottom.
No female complaints please my wife's just had a go at me about the last comment.:biglaugh:

Red 2
02-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks to all for comments.

Turned out to be dealer's fault, not VW's as the salesman first said.

So VW will not sanction retrofit TPM and warranty issues could then follow. Faced with the hassle of waiting another 6 months for another order (wonder what would be missing next time), have settled for full tank of petrol,flaps etc. and cost of service pack deducted from invoice.

Add £200 of vouchers as VW's goodwill gesture and we will just be glad now to get the car after an 8 month wait.

Just trying to get back that new car excitement that should be there.

Keithuk
02-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Well its the best £35 I've ever spent on my car. I'm sure I've read somewhere you can retrofit it for the indirect system.

How to: retrofit indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring in 5 minutes. (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/how-retrofit-indirect-tire-pressure-monitoring-5-minutes-7k6-50164.html)

But you will need VCDS to reset it unless you fit the Set switch.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=173643.0

It was standard on the Mk5 so it shouldn't be hard to change.

vc-10
04-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Do you mean that the ABS module was standard on the Mk.5, or that the entire system was? Because I know my parent's 54 plate Mk.5 doesn't have it! :-) How tricky would it be to retro-fit it to a Mk.5?

Keithuk
04-04-2011, 09:42 PM
A 54 plate 2004 without ABS I would have thought that was unusual that must be a very early Mk5? Have a read on the link I posted

How to: retrofit indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring in 5 minutes. (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/how-retrofit-indirect-tire-pressure-monitoring-5-minutes-7k6-50164.html)

How to: - Retro fit OEM TPMS (http://www.mk6golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,123.0.html)

vc-10
04-04-2011, 09:50 PM
I was confused about you saying that stuff was standard on the Mk5, it has ABS and ESP but no pressure monitoring. Hell, even my horribly basic 02 Polo has ABS. Tire pressure would be something my mum might appreciate though!

hartry
05-04-2011, 12:37 AM
You can absolutely retrofit tpms just need vcds to do it and if u want it to be exactly the same as the factory option you need the button and repair wires. There's instructions on vortex. I'm talking about the £100 option not the proper tyre pressure monitoring. Don't listen to the dealer they reckon you can't even enable drl on a cc (hoopla!).

Keithuk
05-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Yes the same as I've posted.

Red 2
05-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Yes, we were told it can be done,just not VW approved which was the problem with the dealer retrofit.Google even throws up illustrated guide for one option.

Our car is however now fully as ordered and we are happy.;) And various goodwill gestures for all the hassle helped us forget the pre-delivery pain.

On most new Audis, also simply a 2 minute software switch .

Chris-h
07-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Red 2 it's a shame your car didn't come with the tpm. I had the tpm warning light come on yesterday. I checked the tyres and they all looked fine. It was only when I took the pressures that I found one was just 0.1 bar low and lo and behold there was a nail in it. I'm amazed that the system is so sensitive. The system in my Merc is nowhere near as good. It still cost me a new tyre though - only done 5k miles too.

Keithuk
08-04-2011, 12:22 AM
0.1 bar is 1.45psi mine only shows with a 3psi drop everytime.

Salopian
08-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Ordered my Golf GTD via leasing company as my new company car. Order placed 1st September 2010, car delivered to our Head Office on 7th April 2011 - just the 7 months. Not seen it yet, but apparently is exactly as specced but without the tyre pressure monitor. Was the person responsible for fitting this off sick lately?! Told only option was accept without TPM or get entirely new car built and wait another 18-20 weeks (and the rest). Unsurprisingly, have opted to accept car without the TPM. Is a 'nice to have', but not the end of the world. Annoying though that you wait 7 months and still not right!

hartry
08-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Just a thought... you do all know that VW moved the TPMS reset switch on the Golf from the switches by the gearstick to within the glovebox do you? Just wondering if you're just not seeing the switch where it used to be?

Salopian
08-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Not actually seen the car yet, just been told by our Head Office (who were told by the dealer) that the TPM is missing. Am assuming the dealer knows what they are talking about but....

Keithuk
09-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Well if you want TPMS which is the best additional option you can order then get the dealer to fit it. I should have the correct ABS module fitted so its just a matter of fitting the Set switch and programming it.

Red 2
09-04-2011, 07:57 AM
VW evidently won't sanction a dealer retrofit.

But pleased to say that our Golf is happily running about with TPM ;)

Keithuk
09-04-2011, 11:39 AM
VW evidently won't sanction a dealer retrofit.

But pleased to say that our Golf is happily running about with TPM ;)

So did you order it or have it fitted?

Red 2
15-04-2011, 06:17 AM
Story not one that dealer really wants publicising but can say that if it is the dealer's fault that TPMS isn't on car (order omission). VW evidently will not officially sanction retrofit.

Our car thankfully did not need full retrofit and was therefore probably a one off but all is well that ends well. Full TPMS with warranty intact.