PDA

View Full Version : VAG COM and Vista. Correct lead and s/w version plz

Loofer
05-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to know whats the correct lead to purchase and also correct version of VAG Com to download when using Vista. I previously bought a USB cable from autonostix.com. It didn't seem to work too well.

Is the serial lead any better than USB?

Links to places/ppl selling correct leads would be preferable.

Thanks

adamss24
05-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Have you tried www.ross-tech.com website ? They are selling their own interfaces that will work best with their own program !

Loofer
05-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Have you tried www.ross-tech.com (http://www.ross-tech.com) website ? They are selling their own interfaces that will work best with their own program !

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of RossTech but their interface leads appear to be quite pricey. I need a USB (laptop dosn't have Serial Port) and it has to be either Hex, Key or Micro-Can.

Was hoping somebody could point me in a cheaper direction and some feedback on purchasing and using lead from supplier other than RossTech

adamss24
05-07-2007, 09:02 PM
With your previous interface, did you try to lover the baud rate ? Ussualy the newer laptops are too fast compared with the car's ECU thar will speak an slow Kwp 2000 protocol ! Read the user manual on the resstech website and see if its improves.

cbrpaul
19-07-2007, 12:56 PM
dude i think this lead will work ?

also very useful info on here , im just going to get it all for my sharan ,

http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/Items/007551-001

nfegan
05-05-2008, 01:01 AM
I bought a vag-com USB cable off ebay... worked a couple of times then gave up the ghost. got it replaced by seller then it failed again after about 5 months (4 days ago) . next time I'll get official ross-tech cable I think!
It looked like a quality made cable... but...

jkay2008
07-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Just buy a proper Ross Tech cable. You get what you pay for. I tried a cheapo fleabay version but they only work with the old software version and are very limited.
The "others" are cheap for a reason. Try Derek at ilexa.com

ShuMart
08-05-2008, 09:43 PM
I have a lead that looks identical to the one on virtualvillage, vista automatically installed the drivers from windows update for it ok. its not compatable with the new versions of vag com only 409.1 or earlier. to run that on vista is a bit hit and miss from what i've read, you need to run it in XP compatability mode and with administrator rights. Having said that i cant get it to find my A4. Its a 97 A4 avant 1.8T but neither vag com or my friends memoscan U581 obdII reader can find the car? anyone any ideas? as far as I can tell the U581 works with audi's and it works with my friends 1.8t golf. Is my car OBD compatable?

jkay2008
09-05-2008, 08:21 AM
I have a lead that looks identical to the one on virtualvillage, vista automatically installed the drivers from windows update for it ok. its not compatable with the new versions of vag com only 409.1 or earlier. to run that on vista is a bit hit and miss from what i've read, you need to run it in XP compatability mode and with administrator rights. Having said that i cant get it to find my A4. Its a 97 A4 avant 1.8T but neither vag com or my friends memoscan U581 obdII reader can find the car? anyone any ideas? as far as I can tell the U581 works with audi's and it works with my friends 1.8t golf. Is my car OBD compatable?

Do you have an aftermarket radio ? if so, check out www.ross-tech.com (http://www.ross-tech.com) and search for "aftermarket radio problem"

ShuMart
09-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Nah I have the standard Audi Conert radio fitted