PDA

View Full Version : MPG - Bluemotion

VeDubDan
31-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Hey team,

So - filled my tank up to the brim and I have to say I'm a little dispointed upto now at my MPG. I'm averaging 49MPG to my tank so far. I'm been driving uber slow in order to see what I'm likely to get maximum.

The fuel needle does seem to be dropping quite fast to be honest. On 3/4 of a tank now and I've done around 170 miles. Doesn't seem very good to me.

Any comment / experiences surrounding this?

Car is Passat Estate Sport 140BHP bluemotion.

Cheers

The Fingers
31-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Its still tight yet give it time, mine is only reading 42.9 mpg, not seen the motorway yet so the majority of this is town driving / daytime work traffic.

It has crept up to this 42.9 over the last 150 miles, it was averaging 35 for the first 300miles.

Mine is lossening up nicley, feeling stronger through 2nd and 3rd all the time.

I am going to give mine a run on the motorway this weekend over to north wales so we will see how we get on.

I am pretty sure its not going to go into the mid 60's though, maybe on the summer road trip to cornwall but then i am 5 up and finding any spare space in the boot for straighteners etc etc (all the kids are GIRLS........:D)

johnloaderuk
31-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I have the previous model B6 Passat with the 2.0 TDI 140 BMT engine (standard engine on the B7, was an option on the last of the B6). Under normal A road and town driving it doesn't seem to be any better than a non BMT version, probably as the gearing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd seems to be the same. Where it really notices is on a long steady motorway run at a constant speed, where 6th gear seems to come into its own. I find 5th on the BMT is the same as 6th on the non BMT version. The best mine has averaged was on a trip from Sheffield to London which averaged 68MPG on the MFD, actual 66MPG, using cruise for the entire journey.
Over the last 4k miles mine is showing an average of 53mpg, not too bad as that's a mixture of all types of driving, although a little way down on the claimed 60mpg average.

I wouldn't rely too much on where the fuel gauge needle is. If I fill mine to the brim it does 100 miles before the gauge moves, and usually I like to see 500 miles on the trip by the time it gets to showing half a tank, the best I've seen is 550 when the needle is on half a tank from completely full.

VeDubDan
31-03-2011, 04:47 PM
So there is hope yet! Thats good to know.

I've kept the rev quite low considering - just getting upto 500 miles in total now. I'll give it a blast when i get over the 1000 mile mark.

A long trip to cornwall sounds awesome - even with the boot full of girly products!

The Fingers
31-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I have given mine full beans from 500 miles (exactly - tipped over i booted it)

I think my last one took about 3K to loosen up properly.

Cornwall is my most favourite place in this country, found a great set of holiday appartments near penzance. In an old 16th century manor house. We just ring the guy up and agree how much i am going to pop in the brown envelope for hand over in a shady corner on arrival;) the one we went in last august was meant to be £ 2200 for the week cost me £700 for 9 days:D. Flat screens in every room, PS3 in lounge, Full sky package inc sports and movies, t'internet, two bathrooms (cant do without 2 bathrooms;)). He couldn't let it to general public as it had a crack in one of the baths so it was awaiting a bathroom strip for a new one, had a seperate shower in that room anyway so no bother at all.

I spend most of my time either in the sea or burning the steaks on the disposable on the beach waiting for the sun to sizzle as hit drops into the sea.

We have learned that most of the 'tourist' outings are actually quite poor so we dont really bother anymore, apart from a day at Flambards and a day at the EDEN Project, why do we all like sweating our nuts off in that tropical dome!!!

I want to go now!!!!!

logiclee
31-03-2011, 08:57 PM
I have the Euro 5 spec CR 140 but without the stop start, regen alternator and taller gearing which makes up Bluemotion Tech. I also have DSG which decreases economy a bit.
When the engine was tight and new and I was running in I was getting low 40's around town but after a few tanks mpg improved considerably. I now average over 50mpg on my 27 mile each way commute so a Bluemotion Tech manual should be nearer 60mpg on the same run.

We also have a week or two in cornwall every year, usually stop at www.porthbeach.co.uk

Cheers
Lee

PASSMCG
05-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I have the new B7 1.6 TDI SE Bluemotion PASSAT bought mainly for the specified MPG.

Great car but I am not seeing the MPG anywhere near the spec yet.

I do the same journey each day of 55 miles (50 miles on the Motorway usually cruising at 70-75 and 5 miles of town driving) each way alone in the car).

I so far have done 3000 miles in the first month and the MPG is creeping up slowly but nowhere near the 75MPG spec.

In the first week I got 50MPG and got to 60MPG by the third week. No change in the fourth week and also did 650 mile trip north with a full car (4) I only got 51MPG.

Very interested if anyone is getting 65MPG or better as that is really what I hipe to acheive realistically.

VeDubDan
05-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I have the new B7 1.6 TDI SE Bluemotion PASSAT bought mainly for the specified MPG.

I do the same journey each day of 55 miles (50 miles on the Motorway usually cruising at 70-75 and 5 miles of town driving) each way alone in the car).

I so far have done 3000 miles in the first month and the MPG is creeping up slowly but nowhere near the 75MPG spec.

In the first week I got 50MPG and got to 60MPG by the third week. No change in the fourth week and also did 650 mile trip north with a full car (4) I only got 51MPG.

Very interested if anyone is getting 65MPG or better as that is really what I hipe to acheive realistically.

Hmmm that's interesting as the 1.6 should be even higher than our 2.0 BMTs. I would try your normal commute but knocking 10MPH off your speed and do 65-70. Just as a test to see if it is directly speed related.

PASSMCG
06-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks, I will try dropping the speed for a few days to see what the effect this may have. When I did this this morning I got an average of 60.7 for the journey.

logiclee
06-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Hmmm that's interesting as the 1.6 should be even higher than our 2.0 BMTs. I would try your normal commute but knocking 10MPH off your speed and do 65-70. Just as a test to see if it is directly speed related.

There is a 17 page thread about the 1.6CR TDi engine over on Briskoda, seems people are not getting anywhere near the claimed figures.

My Uncle has a 2010 1.6CR DSG Golf that has a combined economy figure over 12mpg better than my 2010 2.0CR DSG Passat but he gets similar mpg. I've even taken it to work for a few days to discount driver and route differences but it's still only 1 or 2 mpg better. The general opinion over on briskoda is the 1.6CR can post excellent figures during the EURO emmission test but in real world driving you can't get anywhere near the official figures.
Both our cars do not have bluemotion tech by the way.

65mph on the motorway, I think I'd crash and die within 15 minutes. ;)

Cheers
Lee

The Fingers
07-04-2011, 10:40 AM
We also have a week or two in cornwall every year, usually stop at www.porthbeach.co.uk (http://www.porthbeach.co.uk)

Cheers
Lee

Great part of the world Cornwall, we have stopped at a few places over the years, best one was 'penhale villa' Perranporth, the house was amazing. However people have cottoned on to how good this place is so its always booked up, you even get a semi retired 'helper' man, we arrived to local steaks on the barbaque. Nice!! The cant do enough for you.

The last few years have been on the hills overlooking St Michaels Mount, in a converted 16th Century Cornish Manor House. Used to be a holiday park from a pretty well known chain in devon and cornwall, however most of it has been sold off and the manor house updated to luxury appartment specs. Know the site manager so we get back hand cheap deals now. two bed (top end) appartment for the price of a caravan. Bonza!!!

Rick Steins - fish and chips is a must.

It always makes me want to buy a camper van and 'mint it' while i am down there. I saw a splitty the other year on ebay which had been completely stripped by an austin martin mastertech and re built. It looked completely brand new and mint from the outside, but then inside he had gone to town with an Austin Martin quality leather interior. it went for 11K and i lost out and cried for a while. I am sure i would hate driving the thing 350 miles to get there but once there it would be in its element. I will do it one day!!

I have always wanted to do a 'nice' static caravan down there but the Mrs had a nasty experience when she was a kid, hurricane pulled the roof off one she was staying in and that has put her off. FOREVER!!

There is also a great site for nice appartments in and around newquay but you have to be wary about location of them, Newquay is quite rowdy in places at night!!

Packing up and going down for the royal wedding week now, give the new passat a good road trip. I am sure it wont be flag cracking weather so the beach will be a wet suit affair, but it will give us chance to do some more of the coastal paths.

DSG4ME
07-04-2011, 03:02 PM
170 miles on 1/4 of a tank not good? are you kidding, that's nearly 700 miles per tank, mine can only do 440 per tank 2.0 PD DSG.

PASSMCG
07-04-2011, 07:01 PM

I have now done a few journeys at 65 or even slower and at that speed I got 68MPG average for a complete 300 Mile journey. When I filled up the range was 950miles so it is possible to get near to the specified MPG. Luckily I was in no hurry that day. Maybe that is why they fit the "Fatigue Detection System" to keep you awake (not that I have actually seen or heard it do anything).

logiclee
07-04-2011, 08:03 PM
170 miles on 1/4 of a tank not good? are you kidding, that's nearly 700 miles per tank, mine can only do 440 per tank 2.0 PD DSG.

440 :eek:

I usually get 650 down to 600 ish with more mixed driving and that's filling up before the light comes on. That's 15.4 gallon tank, leaving about 2.5 gallon in is about 13 gallon between fill ups 50mpg X13 gallons= 650miles

If you leave 2.5 gallon in and only do 440 miles between fill ups you are only getting about 35mpg.
I could average 30mpg in my 3.0V6 Petrol Mondeo.

Cheers
Lee

DSG4ME
07-04-2011, 09:23 PM
80% urban.

VeDubDan
07-04-2011, 10:00 PM
My Golf GT 170ps DSG does around 450 miles to full tank. Absolute best is around 570 if I drive uber slow on a massive long motorway trip.

But a 170 DSG doesn't like going slow....... :)

logiclee
07-04-2011, 10:19 PM
I think the Golf tank is a gallon smaller isn't it?

Is the Golf CR or PD?

Cheers
Lee

Owens Velos
18-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I have a 2011 Seat Leon Ecomotive 1.6TDI and am experiencing the same. After 4000 miles of very careful motoring - speeds 70MPh and below, can only achieve 49MPG over 3000 of the 4000 miles. Nothing like the 2008 Blue Motion Jetta that my wife runs, where she gives it a hard life and still obtains 58-60MPG on every tankful.
Has VW sold us all a pup? This 1.6 engine although on paper has the same performance as the 1.9, the 1.9 appears to be better in all respects.

stuk100
19-05-2011, 12:46 PM
I currently have a loan car B7 1.6tdi S (waiting for 2.0tdi sport). It has around 2200 miles on the clock.

I have done several journeys (35 miles+) which have involved both motorway and town roads. The best I have averaged so far is 67MPG.

Around town, if very careful, I can get 50mpg+, which I think is pretty good - The stop start system works very well at the numerous sets of traffic lights I negotiate on my journey to work, which undoubtedly helps.

I am sure, on a long motorway journey, this car would easily achieve 70+mpg

Owens Velos
19-05-2011, 02:47 PM
It would be interesting to know whether the engine spec between the Golf and Leon are the same, and if there are any differences in gear ratios and weight. There is no way the Leon is ever going to match the Jetta Bluemotion MPG performance on current results

D4D
20-05-2011, 12:51 AM
I currently have a loan car B7 1.6tdi S (waiting for 2.0tdi sport). It has around 2200 miles on the clock.

This sounds familiar, was supposed to pickup my 2.0tdi sport tomorrow, got a phone call at the beginning of the week - delivery is getting delayed by 2 weeks :aargh4:

I'm having a passat loaner dropped off in the morning. Still , at least its not a polo...

stuk100
20-05-2011, 09:01 AM
This sounds familiar, was supposed to pickup my 2.0tdi sport tomorrow, got a phone call at the beginning of the week - delivery is getting delayed by 2 weeks :aargh4:

I'm having a passat loaner dropped off in the morning. Still , at least its not a polo...

Well D4D, I can only wish you luck - I started another thread about this "Delivery issues".

I finally have the delivery date for my 2.0tdi sport - It is next Friday 27th May. This after ordering in December 2010! Still, having the free loan car makes the wait easier.

D4D
22-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Hi Stuk, I live in Grimsby and almost daily drive past the dock where they are landed, on Friday a huge shipment of passats came in (amongst other VW's) the lorrys were heading out down the m180 loaded up with mainly passats.... Hoping ours were among them ??

My passat loaner was delivered on Friday, a metallic black 2.0tdi sport estate, 157 miles on the clock. I "popped" up to Newcastle on Saturday, 370 miles round trip.

I must say I'm very impressed, excellent insulation from wind and road noise, very comfortable seats and a good hifi, connectivity is really top class. Satnav is good, although the A1 improvements aren't in and there is no support for customised pois that I can find (unless someone can tell me different ?).

I also liked the cruise, the accel/decel button adds/minus's 5mph a click, in a sort of "round off" way. I've had cruise control on cars since the late nineties, they have all gone up/down by increments of 1 mph. Don't know if this is a VAG thing or not but I like it !

Fuel economy for the trip worked out at 55.8, 4 up and a boot full of gear, it was REALLY windy as well. Did a steady 70mph mostly, 75mph now and again. Happy with that, especially considering the mileage.

The Volvo 2.0d I had before gave 45 to 47mpg at those speeds, the wind would make it noticeably worse.

splashmattuk
27-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi there everyone,

I have just ordered a new Passat Bluemotion S 2.0 TDI DSG, when I spec'd it online it refers the paddle shifts on the steering wheel, does anyone have any photos of this, as I can't find any.....

best regards

Matt

gold1640
27-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Paddles, - on the left and + on the right, just behind the steering wheel.

Click on photo for a slightly larger version:-

splashmattuk
28-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Hi Gold1640

Perfect, thanks for taking the time to photo for me..... I still have not gotten a delivery date from work, but I think it was actaully ordered 4 weeks ago and after reading some of the threads I might get the car sometime this year!!

Matt

Passat Sport
30-06-2011, 05:57 AM
I was a little disappointed when I first got the car (170 Sport) and was only getting 40mpg. However, soon loosened up and I'm averaging low 50s overall, just averaged 60 on a motorway journey last weekend. I did find that it was more economical to turn the start/stop off when in a slow moving queue.

Brydo666
30-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Despite how good the cars are for their MPG, I didn't think anyone bought a car based on the good figures they give you in a book. The conditions to meet them are perfect and almost unrealistic on day-to-day roads.

How you drive affects this also, you can cruise at 70 but have a heavy foot getting to that and have a heavy foot when overtaking - this all has an affect.

I get about 620 miles to my tank on my 2.0 170 PD BMR. Normally cruising around 80-90 on the motorway, but I take my time getting to that speed.

jkpaul
17-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Hi guys,
I've now had my B7 Bluemotion 1.6 Estate 105ps for 8 weeks and am frustrated with the efficiency figures I'm achieving.

As you can see below, the figures according to Spritmonitor are less than 52mpg average (6 refills, 4000 miles), best figures just under 53mpg. The first week I had it I drove normally with a cruise speed (indicated) of 80mph on motorways. After achieving less than 50mpg I decided to reduce the cruise speed to 70mph (indicated) and this has obviously helped, though only by about 3-4mpg.

The figures quoted by the on-board computer are invariably about 2mpg higher than the brim-to-brim ones I calculate with the actual fuel refill and the mileage clocked:
52.0, 54.5, 53.8, 54.7, 54.4, 56.3 indicated.
48.7, 52.4, 52.8, 52.8, 52.2, 52.7 calculated.

My driving is split: half the time I have a 12 mile commute to work & back, 75% motorway, 25% country roads. The other half of my time is travelling to see customers - probably 85% motorway and 15% city driving. I usually drive alone and have a briefcase and a couple of sample bags in the car, sometimes a small suitcase (carry-on). The car is usually refuelled with the light on 70-50 miles to empty. Tyres are at the indicated pressure and the car now has 11 000 miles on the clock (I collected in May at 7 000) so should have been run-in by now.

What concerns me is that the mpg figures were a significant factor in the purchase of this company car (and the fact that we could get one, unlike the Skoda Superb) and that with my last Passat, B6, which was sold in May, I was able to get an average of 43mpg from the 2.0 litre diesel Estate 140ps (NOT Bluemotion) in spite of my consistent cruising speed of 80mpg. This was quite good for the car I believed - compared to the quoted 48mpg average (presumably due to the high motorway mileage I drive) so I believed I'd manage to get at least in the high 50s / low 60s, closer to the quoted figures for this car of average 64.2mpg.

To be honest I'm pretty happy with the town / country road figures - with Start/Stop and following the gearchange indications I usually achieve 50mpg but when I'm doing 70mph with cruise activated on the motorway I'd expect more than the 50mpg I get. On Friday I drove from East Glasgow to Leeds (home) with a 10 min stop at services on the M6. Most of the journey was at 70mph, traffic permitting, with a long stretch of the A1(M) at 50mpg for roadworks. The on-board computer showed 57mph, 3h 55mins, 224 miles and a consumption for the journey of 57.5mpg but I know that is probably optimistic given what I've noticed, above.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I have the Estate it is for 2 reasons:
with a large family (4 kids including 2 over 18) whenever we go anywhere, even in 2 cars, there's a lot of gear to transport;
and
from time to time for work it is useful to have an estate so we can deliver small trial pallets of paper to our printer customers.

Neither of these have occurred yet so they are not affecting the mpg figures!

The other thing which frustrates me is that a colleague has the previous Bluemotion (B6) saloon and gets above 70mpg on a run similar to the one I did on Friday. I know we'll drive differently but he claims he uses Cruise Control at 75mph where possible and still gets these incredible figures. I can't believe the Estate makes that much difference over the Saloon, especially as the VW figures (weight, mpg) don't show that huge gap. I'm tempted to borrow it for a few days, although sadly he lives in Surrey!

So I'm now wondering whether it is my car or whether it is the engine / car model or the fact that they tune the cars to achieve the best figures in the unrealistic tests for the EU database.
Any advice / comments very welcome!

Cheers,
Paul

Motorway
17-07-2011, 10:22 PM
I took delivery of my B7 Estate on friday last week, only done 250 miles since then. but today did stoke to conwy to see friends, and averaged 56.9mpg 2.0tdi 140 Bluemotion 3 people on board. very impressed Cruise set to 65 most of the way there and back.

I remember back to the early 90's when i was driving Vauxhall cavaliers and vectras. my first was a 1.6i and the most i could get from that one was 37mpg. then i had the 1.8i for 2 years and this was a little better at 39mpg. then i had the vectra 2.0i which was a lot better the first one did at best 43mpg. the second vectra again a 2.0i was the best and i managed 46mpg. (i have to keep records for business expenses)

what i am getting at is whilst the 1.6tdi bluemotion drives well and responds well. maybe the 2.0 bluemotion having slighly more power can obtain slightly better MPG's??

jkpaul
18-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks Motorway, I think I'm starting to agree.

It's strange, but I suppose I just believed the hype from the quoted figures which show the 1.6 engine gets better urban performance and the same extra-urban as the 2.0 engine, giving a better average overall:

urban / extra-urban / combined
53.3 / 70.6 / 64.2 - 1.6, 105ps
50.4 / 70.6 / 61.4 - 2.0, 140ps

I'll keep going and see how much I can improve the style & efficiency of my driving!

Passat Sport
19-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Honest John collates real mpg data and publishes it at
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/Results?manufacturer=volkswagen

He records 1.6 TDI BlueMotion Technology Estate as 64.2mpg (claimed), 50.4mpg real average, 49.8-50.9mpg real range. Doesn't list how many contributors, so don't know how representative this is.

DSG4ME
19-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Honest John collates real mpg data and publishes it at
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/Results?manufacturer=volkswagen

He records 1.6 TDI BlueMotion Technology Estate as 64.2mpg (claimed), 50.4mpg real average, 49.8-50.9mpg real range. Doesn't list how many contributors, so don't know how representative this is.

I wouldn't put too much faith in that tbh, especially if the public are doing the figures, I would think if you had clear road and sat at 60mph you would get 60 mpg from the BM Passat, the more interesting figure of any car is it's urban cycle, the B7 2.0 DSG is claimed 44mpg urban, if this is true it makes it a winner my a mile, given my B6 returns 30mpg urban under poor economy conditions and the CR models were 37mpg then I would expect about 38-40 in real world condition's, mine only misses it's claimed figure by 2mpg, and the CR over a PD is like a Cortina to a Mondeo.

trevor simpson
06-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi , I have a brand new 140 bluemotion s basic passat first brim to brim gave 57 mpg, now just over 1000 miles on it . I have a commute of 38 miles each wat mainly motorway /a roads if i slow down to 55-60 mph show 70+on dash display.I did drive 1.6 golf and 20liter was more economical at motorway speeds.
will post next tank consumption when I fill it next week.
Regards Trevor.

Firkle
12-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I have a 140TDI Sport with just over 1000 on the clock and the overall average works out at 50.7 with 2 journeys of 2oo miles on motorway and the remainder round town and local driving.

On my old B6 this would have been about 44.0

trevor simpson
17-10-2011, 08:46 PM
I now have filled up 3 times .
1- 57.6 mpg
2- 56,4 mpg.
3- 54.6 mpg .
the engine is loosening up a bit mostly a road and motorway .
I have some long journeys this week ,so will post my latest consumption next week.
regards Trevor.

AMacdonald
01-07-2012, 12:11 PM
I've only had my 2011 1.6TDi S Bluemotion Estate for a couple of weeks but I'm happy with the consumption. My normal commute to work (20-ish miles, mostly clear dual carriageway and rural roads, little if any queueing) averages 60-62 if I cruise at about 65. Over 1500 miles, including a fairly hectic 450 mile round trip to the Lake District at 80+, my overall average has been 56.2. Car currently has 16K on the clock. I just love pulling 2000rpm at 70!

DSG4ME
02-06-2013, 12:52 PM
1- 57.6 mpg
2- 56,4 mpg.
3- 54.6 mpg .
I have some long journeys this week ,so will post my latest consumption next week.
regards Trevor.

Good enough for me, looks like the S80 is going to have to be passed up on as I need to use the swede (pun) not the heart this time and a 13 second 0-60 doesn't appeal and nor does 30 ish mpg urban either, the B7 I guess should return me a high 30 urban and I'd be very surprised if a mid 50 isn't available @ 70mph.

btw nobody is going to get 75 mpg out of this car whatever they may kid themselves, to get 75 mpg you would need to be going downhill with the wind behind you coasting, and if anyone says they can achieve it I bet they also got the Queen to give em a blow job at the same time while Prince Charles and Prince Phillip sat in the back cheering raucously and trying to nick each others Biggy Burger cardboard hats they got with the buy a £1 burger and get an iPhone 5 free for 23 mths on a £5 pm contract over 24 mths.

lewyboy
16-06-2013, 09:03 PM
1- 57.6 mpg
2- 56,4 mpg.
3- 54.6 mpg .
regards Trevor.

Are these according to the OBC or your own brim to brim calcs? Reason I ask is that my OBC (and speedo) over reads by about 5 or 6 MPG. I've yet to see 50mpg brim to brim calcs over the last 3 months/12k miles.

Europa25
07-10-2013, 12:08 AM
I had a 55 2.0TDi DSG for 4 years, and was impressed with that, even for an auto.

I've had a 12 plate B7 1.6TDi S Tech now for 8 months. 6 speed manual.
I am impressed with the economy of the engine, and the MPG returns.

I often achieve 60-65mpg at 75 mph on the commute to work.
I have achieved over 70mpg a few times.
Around town I often average 50 mpg, sometimes 45 on a shorter run.

It does sip diesel, and you can easily see 1000 miles + on the range on filling up.
Seems to really like Esso fuel, don't know why :D

My one slight gripe (after a 2.0 previously), is that 1st and 2nd are pretty low geared, and 5th and 6th very high geared.
This is great at 70, seeing your revs barely past 1500, but on runs at 40-50mph, you can find yourself changing a fair bit (If you take any notice of the eco 'arrows' telling you to change up or down!)

I normally switch stop/start off, I don't commute 9-5, and would rather use a few drops of diesel than get a new starter / flywheel!

I would recommend the 1.6 105 engine, particularly if you travel solo alot.
The turbo is very effective and smooth in adding power through the gears.

07-10-2013, 09:27 AM
My 9 month old Sport 140 BMT now has 15000 miles on the clock and has registered 52.4 mpg as calculated by brim to brim. The onboard computer seems to record a figure about 2 mpg higher.

dieseljames
13-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I've got a 2011 2.0 140 BMT DSG Estate - currently on 24k and I average 45mpg (by my calculations) - that is a 14 mile B road commute taking it easy, and on the weekends down to Devon using Cruise control. A little disappointed if I'm honest!

DSG4ME
14-10-2013, 10:10 AM
That's what I am trying to find out James, I'm finding it hard to believe the official figures which in itself isn't a problem as none of them are right anyway but VW used to get them reasonably near to what they'd advertised, a mate has a manual 1.6 TDi Octavia (old model) and each time I see him I ask and it's always reading 48mpg on an urban cycle, another has a SEAT Leon (new model Rapid clone) and that shows near 60mpg but on a brim test I'm wondering just how wide of the mark they will be and I don't want to end up buying something that I don't really want for an economy that isn't actually there,

There's a lot written about how much better the CR lumps are than the PD but I'm not sure myself, granted they are more robust in 2.0 form but as for economy I'm not too sure.

Europa25
02-02-2015, 06:16 PM
I'm intrigued by this thread, as I'm on my 3rd Passat in 6 years, with varying degrees of good/not so good economy!

I had a 55 2.0SE DSG for 4 years, spirited performance, economy fine, sold at 55k , all still good. Prob averaged 55mpg at M25 speeds.
Obviuosly this was the BMT series of engine, had new injectors foc in last year of use, not much difference on MPG..

I then had a 12 1.6TDi S tech manual for 18 months, economy really good , up to 65 mpg at M25 speeds.

Wanted more comfort and DSG after 18 months, so traded that for a -

11 2.0SE DSG, on around 28k at the moment. This probably averages 50mpg on Motorway, 35mpg around town, though I am actually consciously driving it using low torque to try and keep reasonable MPG figures.
Using Shell regular diesel, alternately Nitro+ on fill-ups.

The economy on that, or performance, is not as good as the 55 B6 equivalent model imho.
Bearing in mind, this is the 'leaner' Bluemotion, and CR series of engine, I really expected better, I'm glad fuel has gone down!
I'm not sure if the DPF has a hit on MPG, it went in to VW for something unrelated recently, and they claimed that all was okay.

I'll see how it goes, but I saw someone else on here, needed a new Turbo and EGR valve on their 11 registered B7.

On my previous 2 passats, I used to feel and hear the turbo spooling up, I've never heard it on this one, wondering if its suspect, as the acceleration is less sparkling than both !!!

See how it goes, and I'll report back if something is up !

Arragonis
02-05-2015, 05:42 PM
First post as a Passat owner (used to have an Audi A6).

I've had my 1.6 since Monday and the on board display is showing a tank average of 51 despite the fact I drive 90% in town. Currently 1/4 tank on 175 miles.

I'm happy so far as I'm not really trying to get MPG at all on this tank and it is still 2-3x what the A6 would do on the same journeys. I like the Stop-Start a lot (Edinburgh traffic is a pain) and the hold - can sit in a queue in silence without having to hold thie thing on the brakes.

TurbofanRB211
05-05-2015, 08:18 PM
I picked up my 2.0 TDI 170 about a month ago and only managed around 47mpg on my 200 mile trip back home with it. I do a 25mile round trip to work everyday (15 to, 10 from) and it's showing 51/52mpg after adding millers ecomax. Weekend just gone I did 400miles 90% motorway with no hold ups or traffic, cc set at 72mph & it showed 54.6mpg.

Strange bit for me is the range indication, it's showed around 540miles when I fuelled up to 3/4 of the tank & after the 400mile trip it's giving a range of around 260miles...

Arragonis
17-05-2015, 07:52 PM
The range is calculated based on the current average so it varies. I've had my range saying 300 miles at startup and 50 miles later it says I have 450 miles left.

ledonster
05-11-2016, 09:59 PM
3 days in with my 2011 1.6tdi estate bluemotion and the numbers are no better than my 2007 1.9tdi seat Leon. I have only done 1 longish round trip of 120 miles but I was expecting to average at least 60 doing my normal driving.

The Accountant
07-11-2016, 03:56 PM
3 days in with my 2011 1.6tdi estate bluemotion and the numbers are no better than my 2007 1.9tdi seat Leon. I have only done 1 longish round trip of 120 miles but I was expecting to average at least 60 doing my normal driving.

I think it is down to the power to weight ratio. the passat estate is quite heavy andwhilst the 1.6tdi does seem quite a gutsy engine it may be working harder than the 2.0tdi to do the same job. back in the 90's i had a 1.8 Vectra which was good and delivered reasonable economy, then i changed to the 2.0. i initially thought would it be as good on pertol, i was surprised it was quite a bit better cant remeber figures but at least 10% better from memory.

I have the 2.0tdi (140) passat estate had it from new 5 years ago and i can get 72mpg on a run to Scarborough from the midlands, back in september i did 11 days in cornwall and over 1200 miles a mix of motorway and town driving as you would expect, i got 58.8mpg on computer 2.

hope this helps

ledonster
07-11-2016, 04:00 PM
Makes perfect sense, thanks. I will see how it settles down after I have been driving it for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PBS_2016
15-12-2016, 10:19 AM
We've just completed an 800 mile or so round trip to North Yorkshire over the past few days and were seeing around 47 mpg pootling around the lanes and got 62 mpg after the trip back down, mostly motorway with cc set at 70 and 50 for the inevitable road works on the M1. A bit better than the 28 mpg the departed Discovery was getting!

Arragonis
10-01-2017, 10:09 PM
Had mine for nearly two years now, no tank under 50 MPG and most north of 55.

I can get 800+ miles from a tank which is amazing - my first car was a Metro which had a tiny tank and getting 200 miles out of it was hard to do.

I'm going to give the emissions update a miss as it is doing just fine now.

SHAZIB
12-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Hi Folks i am new to this forum . had a question i have Passat 1.6 TDi Blue motion 2011 with 83 K mileage . recently i noticed a dramatic change in MPG drop from usuall 48 / 50 within the city to 35 MPG almost 15 mpg is lost on average have tested many times but now it gives only 35 /36 /34 MPG . any advise what should i do .

Thanks

niall campbell
13-03-2017, 09:34 PM
take the car to a straight piece of road

boot the car in 2nd gear and hold it in 2nd gear, with the engine revs just under the res. Look in rear view mirror and see all the rubbish getting blasted out your exhaust and stop when clear

then reset computer in dash, on window wiper stalk, press and hold for 5 to 10 seconds and you see ----------

fill car right up with diesel, reset trip meter and see how many miles to the gallon you get

in cold weather, the mpg will drop also ................................. demisting windows etc

Arragonis
15-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Hi Folks i am new to this forum . had a question i have Passat 1.6 TDi Blue motion 2011 with 83 K mileage . recently i noticed a dramatic change in MPG drop from usuall 48 / 50 within the city to 35 MPG almost 15 mpg is lost on average have tested many times but now it gives only 35 /36 /34 MPG . any advise what should i do .

Thanks

Have you had the emissions fix done ?

Otherwise recent low MPG could be just low temps. When the temp is around the 4-5 Deg C mark I can expect lower MPG all the time, down to ~50 at best, sometimes worse on a trip. At the 7.5 Deg C + we have had here in Embra for the past few days no trip has been less than 50, and most have been 55+.

This is the trip computer of course which is "estimating" (aka guessing) your real MPG. The only way to be sure is brim the tank, zero the trip and compare when you next fill up. If you are >750 miles on a tank then you are doing well. Best I've had recently is 863, trying for 900 in the summer.