PDA

View Full Version : Rear fog light(s)

Ian Stewart
29-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Could you please inform me, how many rear fog lights should there be on a Passat CC, the drivers side rear fog light illuminates ok, but there seems to be no light on the passenger side rear, is this normal ? car 5 months old.

The Fingers
30-03-2011, 02:40 PM
isn't the other side reverse light?

I think every VW i have had has only had one fog (drivers side) one reverse (passenger side)

gamichea
01-04-2011, 03:36 PM
You can have one on the left, one on the right or both or maybe even none. Its software controlled and can be done with VCDS/VAGCOM or by a dealer. As I understand it its simply a matter of how much current the ECU supplies to the bulb(s) which act either as tail lights or rear foglights depending on the position of the light switch on the dashboard and the software settings.

There is a how to thread in the CC forum at VWVortex.com.

hartry
02-04-2011, 04:10 PM
There is a how to thread in the CC forum at VWVortex.com.

The problem with that is that the central electronics module on the 2011 model is totally different than previously, and the majority of the lights are controlled by the undocumented byte 18, I think the rear fogs come under that remit too because the options mentioned in the Vortex thread are nowhere to be found elsewhere in the 2011 CE module.

phantom41
08-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Aw, c'mon guys there HAS to be a solution, with previous cars I've had all that was required was to break off a plastic 'plug' and insert a bulb !!! All sensible cars these days have twin rear fogs - far safer and symetrical. Why do VW/Audi put some with twin and others with (cheapo) sigle rear fogs, surely it cannot be down to the cost of a bulb ....................

vwcabriolet1971
08-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Aw, c'mon guys there HAS to be a solution, with previous cars I've had all that was required was to break off a plastic 'plug' and insert a bulb !!! All sensible cars these days have twin rear fogs - far safer and symetrical. Why do VW/Audi put some with twin and others with (cheapo) sigle rear fogs, surely it cannot be down to the cost of a bulb ....................
The rationale behind only fitting one rear fog light is that in heavy fog the brake lights may be "masked" by the fog lights if 2 fog lights are used. If only 1 fog light is used, the application of the brake light is more noticable. Seems sensible to me. Remember the motorway multiple pileups in heavy fog ? I've noticed some drivers use hazard fog warning lights when braking in heavy fog in an effort to be seen. If you are "tailend charlie" in heavy fog, any improvement in your visibilty to others , particulary when braking, is an advantage.
I was heavily rear ended ( in broad daylight !) some years ago and have no desire for a repeat performance.
Also as lot of drivers use their rear fogs in good conditions , the use of 2 fogs can be doubly annoying in these conditions ( should be made a hanging offence).

hartry
08-04-2011, 04:57 PM
The rationale behind only fitting one rear fog light is that in heavy fog the brake lights may be "masked" by the fog lights if 2 fog lights are used. If only 1 fog light is used, the application of the brake light is more noticable. Seems sensible to me.

Also as lot of drivers use their rear fogs in good conditions , the use of 2 fogs can be doubly annoying in these conditions (should be made a hanging offence).

Completely agree. Can't stand idiots who put them on in the slghtest bit of mist or rain.

thax1
09-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Also as lot of drivers use their rear fogs in good conditions , the use of 2 fogs can be doubly annoying in these conditions ( should be made a hanging offence).

Agree wholeheartedly. However, rather than hanging, I'll incorporate it into my plans for a giant hand mounted on every motorway span. It will slap all drivers out of the middle lane if not overtaking.:approve:

phantom41
26-04-2011, 01:27 PM
So, guys, safety is not an issue here then? Twin rear fogs must be more visible than one and I'm sorry but the pathetic excuse that the fogs will mask brake lights is just too ridiculous for words, as the same could be said for a single rear fog. How many cars does one see these days with only one working rear light?, all adding to the confusion. The authorities (Police) would do well to pull all these illegal ars over and fine each and every driver - and yes, I do agree that those who drive with either (or both) front fogs or rear fogs on when there is no need are a menace, but used responsibly and in the appropriate conditions they are a valuable safety aid. I have lived for many years on mainland europe and driving around there on only one rear fog light is dangerous. Perhaps we should adopt the centrally positioned single fog light on/in the rear bumper as Peugeot have done.

vwcabriolet1971
26-04-2011, 10:45 PM
So, guys, safety is not an issue here then? Twin rear fogs must be more visible than one and I'm sorry but the pathetic excuse that the fogs will mask brake lights is just too ridiculous for words, as the same could be said for a single rear fog. How many cars does one see these days with only one working rear light?, all adding to the confusion. The authorities (Police) would do well to pull all these illegal ars over and fine each and every driver - and yes, I do agree that those who drive with either (or both) front fogs or rear fogs on when there is no need are a menace, but used responsibly and in the appropriate conditions they are a valuable safety aid. I have lived for many years on mainland europe and driving around there on only one rear fog light is dangerous. Perhaps we should adopt the centrally positioned single fog light on/in the rear bumper as Peugeot have done.
The rationale quoted for the single fog light was made by the maufacturers and not made up by me. I think the manufacturers know a little bit more about vehicle lighting than the average motorist and conduct many tests before finalising any design. How many motorists have driven in really heavy fog ? The last time I remember really heavy fog is many years ago when there were huge motorway pile-ups-- maybe the collisions could have something to do with lack of brake light visibilty ( apart from driver stupidity) ?. Have you done any tests to check on the visibilty of brake lights being applied in heavy fog in a car that has 2 fog lights and then compared that result with a single rear fog version ? It's the fog penertration performance not the brightness in good conditions that is important.
Designing a car with only 1 rear fog light is not done for cost reasons as many makers include the near side light with the wiring & bulbholder as std. and simply do not fit the bulb. It does
seem to make sense to fit the bulb on the drivers side to show the vehicle width extremity ,but I agree that a central fog light would be just as efective and would allow the brake light application to be more visible but this would be more expensive as it would require an additional lamp assembly. I always thought that the single add-on central accessory fog lamp was very effective.
There may be a case for 2 brightness levels for brake light - 1 normal and 1 for heavy fog . The heavy fog level would need some sort of fog intensity sensor. Idealy the rear brake brightness intensity would be automatically set by the fog intensity.
IMHO 1 single fog is preferable to 2 simply because of all the idiots who leave them on in visibilty of over half a mile and in nose to tail traffic !

FastEddieVW
27-04-2011, 09:15 AM
You seem to be forgetting that the centre brake light distinguishes braking from fogs also!

vwcabriolet1971
27-04-2011, 08:50 PM
You seem to be forgetting that the centre brake light distinguishes braking from fogs also!
Not so ! I do believe that a central single fog light is preferable to 2 fog lights incorporated within each rear lamp assembly fairly close to the brake lights. But given the choice between one fog light in the off-side rear lamp assembly or fog lamp in both the rear lamp asemblies I would prefer the single lamp.