PDA

View Full Version : Lower Engine or Gearbox Rattle/Clunking

AlmaDougan
29-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi there

I have a 55 plate A3 1.9 TDI with 70K on the clock. Ive had it a year and it was serviced only 2500 miles ago by a local garage.

In the past weeks or two Ive noticed an increasingly worsening rattle or rumble that i intially felt as a vibration through the clutch pedal when slowing to stop. The noise may have got louder or Iam just listening more and more aware of it but the frequency has definitely increased. It seemed to be more prominent when going downhill but has now occured when flat too. I think though, that it begins when on a downhill slope and continues for longer. It doesn't seem to matter if the engine is cold or hot. The noise is in snyc with the revs and when approaching a stop changes when the clutch is depressed.

Some days it doensn't happen at all others its very prominent, loud and causes vibrations.

There Doesn't seem to be any performance problems or issues shifting gear but the clutch does alter the noise and vibration.

Just recently I checked the engine oil and seen it was a little low, nothing major so I topped it up with Magnatec. I sometimes put a tank of BP Ultimate in it. Those are the only variables that I can think of that have been changed.

Any ideas ?

I've had a local garage look at it quickly but it didnt do it when they had it so they couldn't give me any answers. They thought maybe the flywheel or something in the gearbox moving around.

Finally sorry if i seem a little green, I am a noob and have limited knowledge.

Any advice is appreciated.

kind regards

Alma
x