PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Filters.

Bratty
29-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Are aftermarket filters or induction kits detremental to your engine?

ie. Replacement Panel Filter, Foam or cotton gauze? or full on Cone induction kits that replace the original airbox?

Dunk

SammoVWT
29-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Yes, 2 x cones to replace the original box :approve:

Bratty
29-03-2011, 01:50 PM
I have used K&N replacement panel filters on previous cars and I never really noticed any difference except for a bit more induction roar, but I can see the attraction, cleanable and long lives. Was going to fit one to my current car which is 8 years old and backed off the idea after doing a bit of scare-mongering reasearch, fitted OEM paper instead (in the vain hope my engine will last longer:Blush:)

Dunk

SammoVWT
29-03-2011, 01:59 PM
To be honest its all in the correct application. The benefit of the piping and the filters on top far outperform the stock box on my golf, less hot air and less restriction from a 1.5" intake hole.

Too many people expect to put one on and see a gain while its sat open in an engine bay, but ive not had any problems with mine at all. I just applied a bit of physics to mine before I did it, i just looked at it in terms of reducing static pressure while reducing intake temperature. Worked a treat for me :p

Re-usable which saves me having to nip down to the shops every few months for a replacement. For me it was worth the outlay, but then i have space in my engine bay to make it work. Not all engine bays are as roomy as mine (or have the god awful round box).

I forgot to mention it also cured my rubbish breather/reburn system in the stock box and has stopped it from foaming up with emulsified oil on short trips.

Also oil is there to trap dirt and carbon :p as long as you change your oil regularly it should be fine

Bratty
30-03-2011, 12:11 AM
I had a 1995 Golf Vr6 that I bought new, I fitted some aftermarket RAM-AIR thing that fitted into the car via the front fog light to the Air Box. Looked good :confused: but even though it was a particularly quick anyway:approve: (but handled like a bus!) did not notice any particular improvment in performance.

Dunk

SammoVWT
30-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Makes sense, you will only get minimal benefit at speed if any, you see a similar idea on formula one cars, but they go much much faster. It probably wont do much as there wasnt much restriction in the first place.

If anything, the induction tube sounds like it made the intake longer, the longer the pipework, the more static pressure, and thus the more vacuum must be generated before you get any 'new' air being drawn in.

The shorter the intake the better, you get fewer losses, the only way around it is with forced induction because it tries to maintain a fixed pressure on the intake side. The main benefit of that one would be cooler air entering the engine, but theres not a lot of room with a V6 in there :approve:

For example, take a straw, blow through it, seems fairly easy. Now add a second or third straw, try it again, and you will see how difficult it starts to become. I designed my intake on a similar principle.

DSG4ME
30-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Not really what I think you are asking, but GSF sell Mann filters, VW use Mann filters as OEM, Jurid brake pads are the same, VW fits Jurid's, only real difference is the price and the logo.