PDA

View Full Version : Unleaded (95ron) -V- Super unleaded (98-99ron)

shadowstalker
05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I have a bog standard 1992 1.8 mk3 golf with 54,000 miles from new and was wondering if super inleaded would make any difference to: a) my fuel consumption (currently 300 miles per tank @£40 per tank), b)performance and c) make it run smoother?
any help welcome
craig

Fizzbitt
05-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Will deffo make it run smoother... Well having tried it on various older NA engines thats the main difference you will find.

Some people claim it also increses the mpg but then if your paying extra per litre in the first place it doesnt give you more miles per the £1.

shadowstalker
05-07-2007, 12:01 PM
so is it worth filling up with super in my car or just sitck to ordanary stuff?

Fizzbitt
05-07-2007, 12:04 PM
try it an see...

They say you need to go through a couple of tanks before you start to notice a difference... all depends on the car i presume.

Wont do you any harm but will cost you just a few more £ at the pump. Decide for yourself...

shadowstalker
05-07-2007, 12:06 PM
ok still not sure lol i have heard stories that supermarket fuel can, over time, harm your engine is this true?

Fizzbitt
05-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Dont know how much truth is in that to be honest but the recent incident with one of the major chains where it had a batch of 'dirty fuel' doesnt exactly give faith to people. lol

I tend to stick to the major players like Shell and BP.

shadowstalker
05-07-2007, 12:14 PM
yea i use bp as i get nectar points :) but still need to do more research into the super unleaded
thanks for your help

Fizzbitt
05-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Im sure i keep going on about jap cars but having owned modified jap sports cars you have to use high grade fuel otherwise you are at risk of damaging the engine.

Even cars sold in the UK such as EVO etc advise that the only fuel to use is the super unleaded. All depends on what your car has been mapped on in the first place.

Jap fuel is 100Ron so when you buy an import you have to use as close as you can get to 100ron, V-power etc.

shadowstalker
05-07-2007, 12:20 PM
i think ill stick to the norm unleaded lol well until i can get some thing a bit quicker/more powerful as i am only 18 lol am looking at getting skoda vrs:)

MalcQV
05-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Pros for using supermarket fuel are you are very much less likely to have your credit/debit card scanned. I had mine scanned last year using a reputable petrol station in Bradford. For this reason I fill up at supermarket petrol stations when I do not have cash on me (I rarely have cash on me).

I understand that unless your engine is designed to run on higher octane fuel (97 and above) on an older car then there is not a great deal to be gained, other than that some of these fuels can help keep an engine clean.

If you have a newish car then the engine management system can "learn" therefore you may over time benefit obtaining better MPG/performance.

Fizzbitt
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
I Never use cards at petrol stations as i live in Bradford and have had the same done to me. Tis a big problem round these parts.

Most of the petrol stations i use have a free cash point these days so that is never an issue for me now. :)

MalcQV
05-07-2007, 10:51 PM
I Never use cards at petrol stations as i live in Bradford and have had the same done to me. Tis a big problem round these parts.

Most of the petrol stations i use have a free cash point these days so that is never an issue for me now. :)

Point taken, but I believe it is a big problem everywhere.

V5_170Mk4driver
09-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I have run my V5 golf on both 95 and 98. The filler cap has a sticker advising me to use 98 but its so damn expensive. I used about 5 tanks od Super before switching back to normal. I noticed switching back to normal, more than switching up to Super. It runs a little cleaner on super and I get about another 1 mpg or so.