PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Perforation Warranty 6 or 12 Years?

gun_mender@hotm
05-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Help. My 7 (22/05/2000) year old Golf has bubbling wings. Does anyone know the warranty length for these cars. Is it galvanised or non-galvanised? Thanks

Sam
05-07-2007, 11:01 AM
All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against rust attacking the internal cavities of the bodywork for 12 years from the date of first registration (six years for Sharan models) by our Body Protection warranty.

They'll claim it's a paint defect first and say it's not covered so you need to keep at it.

I presume you've not had any part of it resprayed? They check for paint depth and so on too, so just be ready.

gun_mender@hotm
05-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks MYCARSAVW. The car is totally original from new. I am the only driver and it has never been in any type of accident in any form. There has been no respray nor touching up. I'm still confused though, is it galvanised or not galvanised? Also it can't be a paint defect because the back arches are the same. Thanks.

Sam
05-07-2007, 11:38 AM
It's galvanised, sorry, I missed that part off.

Good luck, keep us posted.

gun_mender@hotm
08-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Update- confirmed by phoning direct to VW (UK) and they said 12 years as it is a galvanised car. Booked into local dealer Tues PM to see it and I will not back down from any silly reasons they give me. Cheers.

gun_mender@hotm
10-07-2007, 02:34 PM
What do I do next? It has happened. The dealer has stated that it is not perforating from the inside out??? so therefore it is not covered. They said that water has got in between the paint and the metal but not from the inside. Where do I go from here?

Eshrules
10-07-2007, 02:45 PM
What do I do next? It has happened. The dealer has stated that it is not perforating from the inside out??? so therefore it is not covered. They said that water has got in between the paint and the metal but not from the inside. Where do I go from here?

complain :approve:

Sam
10-07-2007, 02:51 PM

Well there's a surprise!

complain :approve:

Yup, open a case with VWUK and complain complain complain.

Details in here - http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8197

gun_mender@hotm
10-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks eshrules and mysarsavw. I have just written out a polite but strong letter to VW(UK) in Milton Keynes. I have also complained about the dealership (we don't get on). I'll keep you info'd.

Eshrules
10-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks eshrules and mysarsavw. I have just written out a polite but strong letter to VW(UK) in Milton Keynes. I have also complained about the dealership (we don't get on). I'll keep you info'd.

dealerships and complainants rarely do, theres only one thing a dealership likes to see, a new customer.

stick with it ;)

mluton
10-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Hope it all works out mate.

gun_mender@hotm
23-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Update - wrote to VW customer services and they have allocated a case number. I was then asked to take it to a VW approved bodyshop (Lloyd Carlisle). the bodyshop manager said it is rusting from the inside out (Hooray) and informed VW that he can't carry out warranty work. So I now have to go to Carrs (VW) of Hexham for confirmation....................

Sam
24-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Update - wrote to VW customer services and they have allocated a case number. I was then asked to take it to a VW approved bodyshop (Lloyd Carlisle). the bodyshop manager said it is rusting from the inside out (Hooray) and informed VW that he can't carry out warranty work. So I now have to go to Carrs (VW) of Hexham for confirmation....................

Forgive my stupidity but the fact that it's rusting from the inside out is good right?

Why can't the guy carry out any warranty work?

gun_mender@hotm
24-07-2007, 10:54 AM
I suppose it's good for me in that it means I'll get the wings replaced. It's now up to this dealer in Hexham to confirm what Lloyd bodyshop has said. I don't know why this bodyshop has no authorisation, I would have thought a simple OK from VW (UK) would suffice. As us grown ups know nothing is simple in this world. Thanks everyone.

gun_mender@hotm
09-08-2007, 04:03 PM
SUCCESS!! I have now been told after a lengthy farce that the wings and the rear qtr panel are going to get done under warranty. Carrs of Hexham requested another independant bodyshop inspection. This turned up some useful info - the diesel Golf from 98 on has a sponge type insert on the offside wing. This leads to water retention and rust from the inside out. HOORAY. Don't know what's wrong with the nearside wing though, didn't wait to ask. Cheers.

Sam
09-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Excellent result!

Good to see them giving in too, it doesn't happen often.