PDA

View Full Version : Question 80 tdi chip or bigger nozzles?

bilbo136
24-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm about to tow a caravan,sad but true, and my little beautiful could do with a bit more ummph.
Do any of you guys or girls have any actual experience in upgrading from the basic 90 bhp to any thing else ?
I've looked at this site and can not find anybody with actual experiences of named devices.
I don't need rolling road results, just more umpph results.:Blush:
Any advice would be greatful.

scotty33
25-03-2011, 09:17 AM
I dont have actual experience of 90hp tuning. Bigger nozzles will get you more power/torque 110 nozzles are probably easiest to find but t4 van 5 cyl 150hp are bigger.
I would try the 'evry' mod first, seems like a diy version of a tuning box, very cheap and looks quite easy to do and can be removed if you dont like it. google it or search tdi club forum
There are chips on E bay from time to time, but I think you need to get your ECU modded, ie fit a socket to accept the new chip.

acmo
27-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Check out Diesel Bob's website, will tell you all you can do to the 80. I am going to fit bigger nozzles to mine as this seems one of the only reliable ways to get more power.

bilbo136
29-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks to scotty33 for the reply, I don't mean to sound ungreatfull scotty33, but I too have read all about the ways to go about upgrading, just wanted some experienced views from people who have tried and tested chips or bigger nozzles on there 80 tdi.

Looking forward to amco's bigger injector project.:biglaugh:

adamss24
29-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I have been playing with them 1.9 tdi engines for quite a while and i am about to swap a 1.9 tdi AFN lump into my b5 audi a4 quattro with a v6 tdi engine. I know it sounds daft but i allways wanted a 1.9 tdi quattro sport and i i had one a few weeks ago but i could not get on with the 5 speed gearbox. Anyway, i have a 11mm Bosch pump, Bosio race 520 injectors, a merc. MAF, a ported head with dBilas cam and PD hydraulic lifters, twin valve springs and titanium retainers, Rosten rods and PD pistons. All i need now is a 3 bar MAP, a 240mm S2 clutch, a solid flywheel (from 1Z/AHU engine) to mate with the engine and a socketed ECU and i will start swapping the engines. I know that i should not build a car i could buy but me a4 quattro is fully loaded, has better brakes all round (4 pots up front and rs4 rears), the suspension is all sorted and just had a full spray job ! Back to your post, swapping the injectors nozzles with Bosio PP520 or AEL/Transporter t4 van 150 Bhp will give you a net increase of 20+ Bhp and better fuel ecconomy. The downside is that the injector pump will need adjusting as the engine will shudder at iddle... A good tuning box from Steinbauer, PSI Motorsport, Van Aaken or Dragon Tuning will also return a good 20-30 Bhp and will make the engine feel nippier. The downside is the turbo in your car, its tiny and wastegated. Later Tdi engines have VNT turbochargers wich are easy to upgrade. You could upgrade the turbo by fitting a k14 turbocharger (off the vw LT van 2.5 tdi 102 Bhp), will need a little modding but its doable enough. I have AEL injectors (old shape audi a6 140 Bhp) in me 99 vw t4 van LWB and a modded LT turbo and the thing flies. I can feel the clutch slip in 3rd but the engine pulls hard from tickover ! I needed to do the hammer mod as the engine shuddered badly at iddle but its fine now.

bilbo136
31-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks adamss24, you seem to know quite alot.
I don't know if I'm that capable of all that turbo messing, so I went and spoke to a proffesional tuner today . He said that as the car was getting on a bit. so he wouldn't trust the old ecu to be rechipped, better to buy a plug in to the fuel pump tuning box.
He also said that bigger nozzles would just increase my fuel bill and give me a lot more black smoke.
I no people say , just advance the timimg, but I've not found any information on how to yet. Newer engines, yes, my old IZ, no. And Ido mean a idiots guide.
So i,m looking at your suggestions of people to use, and others.
Hopefully I can report back with some positive news.
Thanks again.

acmo
04-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Just an update on those nozzles. Cost me £70 and resulted in a considerable power increase. Dead easy to fit, took me just under an hour. Look for the .216 nozzles designed for use in the 150bhp Transporter.
Hope this helps as a cheap and easy way to go.

bilbo136
05-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Excellent acmo, sounds like an easy upgrade.
Did you have any black smoke?
Can you tell me did you have to up the fuel pump timing to allow for the extra fuel being delivered, if so, how did you did this?
The views of other people say you will have 'clutch slip', with such an increase in power. Have you experienced the clutch slipping , or have you upgraded your clutch?
I'm interested to know where you got your injectors from, do they have any more, and do you have the part number, as I'm unsure which ones to get.
Info and pics,if any , would be really helpful:Blush:
Cheers for the replies to my question, hopefully we all can find a simple practical upgrade for this work horse of a vehicle.

adamss24
05-04-2011, 01:20 PM
See here for 1Z chips, larger injectors and stronger turbo's for your car: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dieseltuningshop-DPC. You will need a competent electronist wich has a hot air soldering station and a very steady hand...

acmo
05-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Excellent acmo, sounds like an easy upgrade.
Did you have any black smoke?
Can you tell me did you have to up the fuel pump timing to allow for the extra fuel being delivered, if so, how did you did this?
The views of other people say you will have 'clutch slip', with such an increase in power. Have you experienced the clutch slipping , or have you upgraded your clutch?
I'm interested to know where you got your injectors from, do they have any more, and do you have the part number, as I'm unsure which ones to get.
Info and pics,if any , would be really helpful:Blush:
Cheers for the replies to my question, hopefully we all can find a simple practical upgrade for this work horse of a vehicle.

I have a little black smoke, but that's to be expected, it was clean as a whistle before!

I have not upgraded the clutch and not experiencing any slip.
The ECU will compensate so I see no need to adjust pump timing.
I have sent you a PM

Happy playing ;)

bilbo136
08-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks for all your advice, now its time to tinker! :biglaugh:
I'll post back the results and what i've used, when I'm up and running.
Cheers :beerchug: