PDA

View Full Version : My New S3 - Replacing Split Pipes and other faults

inertia
24-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Hi, its been a while since I have been on here, I just bought a 1999 S3 and have a couple of problems with it.

Here she is and for the most part I am very happy with the purchase :

http://img830.imageshack.us/i/65922807.jpg/

I have driven in about 200 miles since buying it, and it was a very quick car, was being the operative word,
Just recently it has lost power, and I can hear a boost leak, I investigated and although i'm not 100% sure of the cause I have found 2 perished and split pipes under the plastic engine cover.

the first 1 is the Y shaped curly pope which attaches to the rocker cover area, and to the flat topped black valve, and via other pipes runs to the inlet manifold in roughly the middle

the second is the piece of rubber piper from the inlet manifold which connects to the piping running to the Y sahped curly pipe mentioned above.

i think there is a good chance these are related to PCV breathers and not actual boost, but I suspect they could still be the cause ?

either way I need to replace them, can anyone give me part numbers please ? Is it worth using silicone pipes to replace my pipes as I go ? I dont want to do them all but when each one fails, can anyone point me int eh right direction tog et these ones ?

My car never threw an engine light (and it does come on with the key so it does work). however I put it on my friends ODB reader anyway,

I dont have the exact faults I left them int eh car at his garage, however it mentioned intermittent clutch switch, and intermittent coolant temp reading.
Are these parts fairly cheap ? might as well do them if they are, we removed the codes, and they haven't come back but I haven't done many miles in it since.

Thanks for reading, all feedback appreciated.

NickPicks
24-03-2011, 02:13 PM
The easiest way to get a part number is to visit your local Audi parts department. If you don't take the car, take a photo. Unless they're really busy, the parts guy will usually be very helpful and you can point to the screen in Etka to show which bit you need.

They're not usually too pricey on bits like that either.

You can often find intermittent faults - it could just be that someone's unplugged the sensor and run the engine - if they don't come back once cleared, then it means it's no longer happenning.

inertia
24-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the help I ordered all of the parts to collect tommorow.

£160 total for all the pipes, clips and t-piece ,a coolent temp sensor, and new dipstick tube.

I was wondering with these parts being damaged, is that likely the cause of me loosing power (holding boost back a bit).
Just wondering if once I have fixed these pipes I will likely be cured, or still looking for a leak somewhere else ?

NickPicks
25-03-2011, 09:36 AM
It could be the cause - but since they're damaged, they needed doing anyway even if they're not the cause.

I don't know exactly which pipes they are, but if they're on the manifold, then air leaks in any of them could affect the boost control.

Only one way to find out really - replace them and see if it's any better.

inertia
25-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks, they will be changed today and I will find out.

inertia
31-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Changed all of the PCV pipes, which needed doing, but didn't restore lost boost.

Replaced the boost feed pipe which comes out of the turbo and put stronger jubilee clips, this helped somewhat. replaced old knackered 710 DV with a brand new 710N and this helped even more.

I think its running as it should now, time to add more forwards ....

I'm wondering is it worth going for a miltek cat back and a panel filter before I remap ? or just get a remap and see if I'm happy with it then add those later ?