PDA

View Full Version : Pairing and using multiple phones via Bluetooth

Drifty
23-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi All

I think this is a long shot but....for all those out there who are using the standard Bluetooth option....

It is possible to pair multiple phones (I have a work and a personal one) and have them both connected at the same time? (if only just for inbound calls)

Thx /D

andyhamer28
23-03-2011, 05:28 PM
It would be great if there was a way to do this!

I have two phones registered with the rns315 but when I get into the car, it only pairs with the last one that was used. It is possible to swap between the two however by clicking setup when you are on the phone screen and selecting bluetooth paired devices - both phones should be displayed here.

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to switch between them quickly enough when i get a call on my non-paired device! :confused:

Teflon
23-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by the "standard" bluetooth, because it depends on the year of your car. But assuming that you have the factory fit "Premium Bluetooth" that VW were pedalling until quite recently, then the options are quite limited:

You can pair a maximum of 3 phones. If you want a fourth you have to delete one of the first three. It doesn't tell you this and pretends to try to pair but fails.
Only one phone paired at a time. Nothing sexy and it doesn't seem to be able to handle data calls. (I'm not aware of any bluetooth kit that can multiple pair but if you find one please let me know 'cos I have the same need).
The only phones certain to pair are Nokia, and even then not all models. Some HTC's and Blackberrys will work if you are lucky or a witch. iPhone, Sony, LG, Motorola and Samsung all pretty much non-starters.
If you receive SMS messages while paired they stay on the car and you do not get a copy on the phone once you un-pair.
You can swap between paired phones but have to stop the car to do so. It won't allow you to do it while the car is moving.
The newer bluetooth isn't as good functionally as the old Premium Bluetooth but will pair with just about any phone, so I hope that's what you have.

Autoparts
23-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi there the factory fitted bluetooth kits do not have the option to have more than 1 phone paired at the same time to have this function you would have to go for an aftermarket phone kit like the Nokia ck200 which has the option to pair 2 phones at once, there is more and more kits appearing with this function but i cant see the dealers putting this function into the car for a while.

if you are interested in the CK200 Nokia kit let me know i can easily get this for you and supply all the accessories

Drifty
23-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Hi there the factory fitted bluetooth kits do not have the option to have more than 1 phone paired at the same time to have this function you would have to go for an aftermarket phone kit like the Nokia ck200 which has the option to pair 2 phones at once, there is more and more kits appearing with this function but i cant see the dealers putting this function into the car for a while.

if you are interested in the CK200 Nokia kit let me know i can easily get this for you and supply all the accessories

Thanks Gavin - hopefully the car will be arriving soon, so I'll have a fiddle and let you know if I want to go down the 3rd party route.