PDA

View Full Version : First impressions.

LeginTF
23-03-2011, 04:52 PM
After three weeks of Golf ownership I thought it was time to record my first impressions, so here they are.

From ordering to delivery the performance of the dealer has been excellent, with friendly, knowledgeable staff that never used aggresive sales tactics. Soon after ordering, the car was allocated a delivery date that never changed - the car was actually delivered three weeks ahead of schedule. During this time the dealer never bothered me with unnecessary phone calls or letters, but always got in touch promptly whenever there was anything that I needed to know. Everything that he promised to do, he did. On delivery the car was well presented, with everything, including the spare litre of oil and the bottle opener, being present. The flowers for my wife were a a nice touch.

I think that the car looks good from any angle. I would have preferred a three door as I think they look a little sleeker and we seldom carry back-seat passengers, but three doors with DSG was not an option. THe paint is very well finished, shut lines are tight and the panel fit is very good. The cabin is excellent with all major controls falling easily to hand and very little obscured from the driver. The seats are first class. My previous car, a Ford, caused me significant backache and I dreaded journeys over an hour long. There was probably nothing wrong with those seats, but some people do have more curvaceous backs than others. The Golf's seats fit me like a glove and I have driven 400 miles in a day with no discomfort at all.

On the road I have found the car a delight to drive. It is very quiet, the ride is supple and I am astonished at what VW have got in performance terms from 1390cc; TSI technology is impressive. I have been careful with the car so far, but clearly there is more fun time under the accelerator that is yet to be revealed. The DSG is a revelation. I have owned cars with conventional automatic transmission in the past and I understand the differences between those trnasmissions and DSG, but most gear changes really are imperctible. If anyone is considering a DSG, but is as yet undecided, I certainly recommend a test drive before finally deciding which to go for. The box is not faultless, however, and on four occasions has failed to respond promptly to the accelerator, before waking up and sending me forward in an undignified fashion. I have established that this is not some cunning VW safety feature, designed to keep the driver alert, but requires some attention from the dealer.

I will apologise in advance for there being no pictures of the car. At a time in my life when the Government advises that I should be kept wrapped up warm and given frequent hot drinks during the winter, I find the process of posting pics just too time consuming. Instead I would ask you to close your eyes for a moment and imagine a fine summer morning with the sun shining down on a winding, undulating road. Along this road travels a Reflex Silver Golf Mk 6, sun roof open, the driver grinning broadly as he urges his car through the bends, fingers beating a tattoo on the paddles as he briefly relives golden moments from his mis-spent youth. You see, you didn't really need millions of soulless pixels to get the picture, did you?

Nigel

Keithuk
23-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Nice for it being 3 weeks early Nigel, thanks for the quick report I hope everything works as it should. Look forward to any pics later? ;)

LeginTF
23-03-2011, 06:47 PM
I'll try to do some pics, Keith, but it is unlikly to be any time soon - it really does take me ages to post pics anywhere.

Nigel

welshpedro
23-03-2011, 10:37 PM
I'll try to do some pics, Keith, but it is unlikly to be any time soon - it really does take me ages to post pics anywhere.

Nigel

Nigel.. your description really did negate the need for pics....

gib786
23-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Congratulations on the new car. I have the same trim/engine/box combo car due in a few weeks although without the extra options. It will be a little slower than my previous car (2.5 V6 twin turbo) but it should make up for that with a more refined drive and superior fuel economy. Looking forward to the pics, whenever they arrive.

Gerryf
24-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Excellent review Nigel :), when I first started driving the DSG, I too experienced delayed gear changes on occasion but soon figured out that the delays could be avoided by being decisive about accelerating and decelerating.....e.g. if you back off the throttle and then decide to accelerate hard there is a delay because the box had already engaged the wrong clutch ......thus the delay you spoke of.

I concur, who needs images when the words are so descriptive.

Enjoy your well spec'd newbie :)

Keithuk
24-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I concur, who needs images when the words are so descriptive.
A picture speaks a thousand words.