PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Or Diesel

shoolhouse
22-03-2011, 09:06 PM
OK what do you all think, 2.0 fsi petrol estate or 1.9 tdi pd estate both around 2005/6.

Petrol cars are slightly cheaper to buy and the fuel is cheaper but less mpg.

Diesel cost more to buy and the fuel costs more But better mpg.

This is going to be my wifes car, she does around 12k per year with a mixture of journeys .

waaarp
23-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Don't bother with diesel if you're only doing 12k miles, they do more mpg but on average cost more to maintain, especially if something breaks.

I just swapped from an unreliable Golf TDI 150 to a Skoda Octavia VRS petrol.

Eshrules
24-03-2011, 10:11 AM
That's a rather shortsighted opinion there mr warp.

How is a Tdi more expensive to maintain than a petrol counterpart? I've had diesels and petrols, I can't say one cost more to maintain than the other - you just have to be careful what you pick.

If you choose the one mk4 tdi that's renowned for all sorts of issues, more fool you (imho). Had you opted for the stronger 130, you would probably be singing a different song.

That said, diesels do not like stop/start - if more than 50% of the typical annaul mileage is stop/start driving (mainly urban) then I would consider a petrol more suitable.

If it's mainly motorway mileage, diesel makes sense, it's easier to drive on the m.way, has higher torque for those overtakes and once sat in the highest gear, 60mpg is a realistic value to expect.

Last time I checked, in regards to servicing, there's very little in it between petrol and diesel - make sure that regardless of which you choose, it has a decent history and the cambelt's been changed on schedule.

waaarp
24-03-2011, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't say it's short sighted, should have added that I've had a number of diesel and petrol cars and in my experience the diesel ones cost more to maintain on average.

Eshrules
24-03-2011, 03:17 PM
In what regard? Servicing, wear & tear? ... typically, Diesels tend to be cheaper to run for higher mileage users - hence them being the preferred choice of many business and taxi fleet owners.

waaarp
24-03-2011, 04:09 PM
All of the above.