PDA

View Full Version : Ipod and an A3

prolfe
04-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Well, I've just stumped up the cash to get the Audi iPod adaptor and after one day of flicking between tunes, I am really pleased.

I bought and fitted the kit yesterday. The Audi instructions were clear and very easy to follow.

I just popped out the Concert II and un-did the rear aerial and loom.
I disconnected the thick brown live wire from the main loom.
Connected this to the new iPod adaptor brown wire.
Connected the iPod adaptor new brown wire in the old ones place.

Connected the new loom into the back of the loom assembly.

Replaced the Concert II and set out on the glovebox removal.

removed the glovebox by undoing the 7 screws.

Drilled a 13mm hole in the side of the top right compartment and fed and fitted the iPod wire and grommet.

Connected the iPod cable to the little black box of tricks on the new adaptor.

Assembled the glovebox and plugged in my iPod.

Switched it all on and sat listening for about an hour.

I am very pleased. Although i wish they would sort out the text on the Concert II to show playlists and track names.

Still, I do love the Audi logo on the iPod

:)

madfella65
25-10-2007, 12:39 PM
prolfe, did you use the cable for the SAT NAV setup or the normal stereo setup - I had the cable for the normal stereo setup but broke two of the cables taking it out for my new car the other night, Willing to pay for it if you have it spare, name your price....

prolfe
26-10-2007, 12:09 AM
prolfe, did you use the cable for the SAT NAV setup or the normal stereo setup - I had the cable for the normal stereo setup but broke two of the cables taking it out for my new car the other night, Willing to pay for it if you have it spare, name your price....

There were no extra cabling behind the stereo that I could make out easily. the ipod adapter fits straight into the empty cd changer slot.

Not to say that the cable is not there though. I just couldn't see it lying about or strapped up to another cable.

any ideas?

madfella65
27-10-2007, 11:52 AM
no i think you've used it - it was the cable that plugs from your stereo to little blackbox (for controlling the ipod) i was after the non sat nav one, 12 (i think) different coloured cables - whereas the sat nav setup has a blue plug connector on it.

TheMatador
27-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Does the Audi iPod adapter let you access all the tracks on you iPod or just a selection? What does it show on the stereo display?
Cheers

prolfe
27-10-2007, 06:52 PM
This is the display:

CD 1 Track 12 CD 4

CD 2 0:34 CD 5
. .
CD 3 CD 6

Each of the six positions is a playlist that is on your iPod except the first one which is always every song on your iPod.

The iPod has to have it's equalizer off so that the stereo can sort out the bass etc.

I have mine on a playlist and then on Random/Shuffle.

The display of the iPod displays the song etc as normal. You can then mount this so you can see it. Although it's much nicer for the dash not to be cluttered.

With all this in mind, i did find that if whilst on the train I had been listening to just one genre, then plugged it into the car, the car would carry on playing that genre.

madfella65
28-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Display does not show track / artist / album info etc - if you setup 5 playlists on your ipod these are CDC 1 to 5 (CDC = CD Changer) then CDC 6 is all tracks - this connection also works with the new ipod touch - this is what i was using up to the other night when i broke the cable - ordered a new cable (from rear of stereo to little black box) €22 - Part number 8E0 051 445 (in case anyone else is a numpty like me and breaks it taking it out!!!)

BUSSINIT
15-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi, I know I'm dragging up an old thread but I fitted a genuine Audi ipod adaptor over the weekend and was just wondering if anyone has managed to override the fact that the stereo assumes you've connected a CD player and will only play the first 5 playlists on the ipod and then a 6th, being all tracks? Dan

prolfe
15-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi, I know I'm dragging up an old thread but I fitted a genuine Audi ipod adaptor over the weekend and was just wondering if anyone has managed to override the fact that the stereo assumes you've connected a CD player and will only play the first 5 playlists on the ipod and then a 6th, being all tracks? Dan

This is how the Audi iPod adapter works.

It fools the head unit into thinking that there is a CD changer attached.

I stick it on Random anyway so seeing the track is pointless.

You could always use a playlist as a 'what i fancy listening today' kind of list.

Or record the name of the playlist as song 1 in the list, then when you swicth over you will hear what the playlist is called.

If you really want to see the track names then re-route the cable into a ipod holder that you can see when driving. personally, I find it great, even though i cant see the names

BUSSINIT
15-04-2008, 03:24 PM
You could always use a playlist as a 'what i fancy listening today' kind of list.

I think thats why I might have to do. I use the playlists in the ipod most of the time when listening to music as it is so I'll have to make a few special driving ones and name them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or something.

Other than that its great and easy to fit.:beerchug:

TheMatador
16-04-2008, 08:42 AM
I've got an x-link iPod adapter and it works in pretty much the same way except it's crap. It doesn't show the name of the playlist on the stereo and it doesn't connect to the playlist in the right order - depends what one you were listening to when you last turned off the car.

Its also really easy to screw it up by skipping tracks too quickly or fast-forwarding/reversing. Wish I'd paid the extra 20quid to get the Audi one:aargh4:

BUSSINIT
16-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Try and sell it on ebay and buy a secondhand Audi one from there too. I can't imagine there is too much difference in the 2nd hand price.

Problem is i thnk there are a lot if new x link ones for sale on there which might make yours hard to sell.

ESL
23-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Been reading the posts here with interest.

Can someone tell me how much the "official" iPod interface for a new A3 is please? Are they only available from Audi dealers (I saw ebay mentioned).

If available from ebay the Audi part number would be helpful.

Sorry for all the questions, but I would be grateful for a reply.

Cheers and Thanks in advance
:D

BUSSINIT
23-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I bought mine from http://vagparts.co.uk/

I found it under the 'Audi -> A4 2002 (B6 + B7) -> Electrical' section. It was £96.64 in total I think.

I recommed getting the radio removal tools from ebay though, they were about 3 quid whereas Vagparts sell them for £13 + VAT. Got mine from kama_ur2007. (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/kama-ur2007_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZ km)

Hope that helps!

ESL
23-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the reply, just been and had a look and found the very thing:
A3 iPod adapter kit at £75 plus vat.

Lots of other interesting bits too, bluetooth kits, interior LED lighting etc.

Nice tip.

TheEggShell
24-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Does anyone have a guide showing exactly how to install the ipod adaptor kit?

I am mostly unsure of how to remove the glovebox.

prolfe
24-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Does anyone have a guide showing exactly how to install the ipod adaptor kit?

I am mostly unsure of how to remove the glovebox.

The glovebox is easy enough.

Take the right hand side panel off, just pulls off. (the bit that almost touches the door card)

There is a bolt headed screw. 10mm I think. (will just call them screws from now on but they are all the same bolt headed type)

Then inside the glovebox there is one screw at the back.

Then when the glovebox is closed there are three more right down at the lowest point of the glovebox. Have to get your head right down into the footwell.

When the glovebox is open right at the top there are two more.

As the glovebox comes out you will need to watch for the glovebox light and switch cable. Disconnect this.

The you are able to drill a hole in the back side of the box and insert the iPod cable with the grommet already attached to the cable.

Plug the Ipod cable into the back of the Quadlock connector and away you go.

TheEggShell
24-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Brilliant, cheers prolfe!

Just to clarify...

"Take the right hand side panel off, just pulls off. (the bit that almost touches the door card)"

Do you mean the side closest to the door?

TheEggShell
24-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Also... Is the vagparts ipod adaptor kit the same one that Audi themselves would install?

prolfe
24-04-2008, 06:11 PM
There is like a triangle of plastic that pops off. It is hidden when the door is closed.

It is at the side of the glovebox.

Behind there is one bolt head screw.

The one on VagParts looks identical.

You'll have a coupleo of wiring looms. But you'll just need the main iPod one end blue square connector the other end.

Do the glovebox bit first. Feed the blue square end through the grommet, then attach the grommet into the hole you have drilled.

Then feed the wire through to the back of the headunit when it's out. I think you have to attach the connector into the quadlock loom and then plug it into the stereo. Yes, I'm certain now.

Plug the stereo back in, check that it works and then switch back off.
Then attach the light switch loom back into the glovebox.
Then mount the glovebox back onto the dash, top inside screws first, then bottom, then side then inside screw.

You'll have enough cable on the Ipod lead to be able to put it onto your lap to connect it if you need to.

Or:

You'll have enough cable to route it through to your centre console arm rest if you want to.

Or:

Routed through to a holder that you can then see. Perhaps the right side of the steering wheel. You'll then see track names and the cool Audi logo when you switch on.

The Ipod lead will charge your ipod when the ignition is on. It will also switch the ipod back off when the ignition is off.

TheEggShell
25-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Ok, brilliant, cheers prolfe!

I had a quick trial run on the glovebox last night and as soon as I started, it all made sense :D

Routing the cable through to the center armrest sounds cool. Do you know how to do this?

TheEggShell
30-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Well, I fitted the ipod adapter last night and I'm really pleased with it!

It was simple to fit (thanks to the directions on this thread) and the sound quality I'm getting is awesome!!

I must say, I don't think not having track/album/artist info on the headset is an issue at all.

prolfe
30-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Well, I fitted the ipod adapter last night and I'm really pleased with it!

It was simple to fit (thanks to the directions on this thread) and the sound quality I'm getting is awesome!!

I must say, I don't think not having track/album/artist info on the headset is an issue at all.

great job

The track names don't bother me either.

Sound quality does.

Here's a tip:

When importing a CD to iTunes make sure the quality rate is at it's highest, by default it's 128kbps I think, increase this to the max. It takes up more space per song, but the quality is higher.

TheEggShell
01-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Nice one, cheers prolfe, I'll bear that in mind!

Rick Draper
14-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Does the kit from vagparts include the dock that audi would fit in the glovebox of a A3?

BUSSINIT
14-05-2008, 08:41 AM
No it doesn't but the lead is long enough to pull it right out of the glovebox and rest the ipod somewhere on the dash like the slot under the aircon unit (single din dash thats is).

thecount
19-05-2008, 02:43 PM
I've found this one on ebay, claims that you can have the tracks show up if you have a CD Text?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iPod-iPhone-Dice-Car-Integration-Kit-for-Audi_W0QQitemZ320253729308QQihZ011QQcategoryZ58350 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Issac Hunt
19-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Audi radios dont support CD-text so you wont get any track names onto the head unit with this device.

thecount
19-05-2008, 03:55 PM
oh, I didn't realise that. So even if I have orns-e ? -I think that's what I have.

Issac Hunt
19-05-2008, 04:25 PM
It wont show text on an RNS-E either. This is because the device simulates a CD changer, and Audi CD changer's do not support CD text.

thecount
19-05-2008, 04:50 PM
thats a shame.

burton
14-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread.
I was hoping to fit the VW iPod interface I bought for my MKiv golf into my A3.
Having removed the radio it seems the leads I have aren't the same.
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy just a lead that fits the back of the radio and into the black box.
The part number of the VW adaptor is 000 051 444 k if this helps.
I will try and add some photos when I get a minute to show the connections on the radio (concert)
The car is a 54 plate A3 s-line so I don't know if it's concert or concert 2 or indeed if it makes any difference! It does only say Concert on the front so I'm assuming it not concert 2!

prolfe
14-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread.
I was hoping to fit the VW iPod interface I bought for my MKiv golf into my A3.
Having removed the radio it seems the leads I have aren't the same.
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy just a lead that fits the back of the radio and into the black box.
The part number of the VW adaptor is 000 051 444 k if this helps.
I will try and add some photos when I get a minute to show the connections on the radio (concert)
The car is a 54 plate A3 s-line so I don't know if it's concert or concert 2 or indeed if it makes any difference! It does only say Concert on the front so I'm assuming it not concert 2!

looks like an older concert. mine has a quadlock adapter on the back.

I will have a look at the other cables from my audi ipod kit that i had no need for and didn't use.

Paul

madfella65
15-10-2008, 12:38 AM
you should be able to get lead from ipod 'box' to the stereo - i've found the part no. on here before for my a4 - i cant imaginethere would be any difference in the box.... :confused: open to corrections

(replacement lead cost me about £10 - worth a try!!! )

burton
15-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info.
Paul if you do find anything that would be great. Not a million miles from you.

Cheers

ClarkyA3tdi
04-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi
just wondering, I have a cable in my A3 glovebox, which I think was for a cd changer, I'm led to beleive it's possible to connect iPhone to this using another cable, any ideas?

Mike