PDA

View Full Version : Golf Tdi 130bhp help

The Bishmeister
04-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi guys.

1st message, Im Neil from Brighton, Im 23 years old and Im going to test drive an 03 GT Tdi 130bhp 30,000miles (£9995) this weekend at my local VW dealer. I currently own a Fiesta ST (without the horrid over the top stripes!). However Im now wanting more MPG for my money and after driving my bosses Passat 130 (and being blown away by its drivability and performance), Ive decided to test drive a golf gt tdi 130.

I just wanted to know everyones opinions on them, good and bad?

Also is there anything that I need to be checking when I test drive it? i.e: Common faults etc

If I buy it, I plan to have the ECU remapped to unleash some more torque. Is the difference really that noticable??

Sorry for all the questions but Im getting excited! (child with a new toy!)

Cheers

Neil

RickT
04-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi Neil,

Yes you can remap these, for further info, if you post a question into the Golf forum you will get more of a response.

RicKT

Eshrules
05-07-2007, 09:53 AM
hi and welcome to the forum ;)

ive moved your post to the relevant section to limit dupe posts ;)

as for the common faults, try a search, there are a lot of threads on here already with an awful lot of information :D

remapping - a 130 bhp should be safe for up to 175/180 bhp (roughly) not sure on what sort of torque increase you would see, but contact chip n spin on here, hes a chipped UK dealer and has received some good feedback ;)

The Bishmeister
05-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the reply eshrules.

I have had a search but I havnt found a great deal that would help when test driving.

Inrespect of chip/remapping, Id rather remap the ecu rather than chip it. This is because chippin ecu's CAN effect the diagnostic side of things.
I have also heard that I could get 170bhp ish from a remap...I reckon that would put a smile on my face!!!

I see you got a Golf TDi...."your baby" ;0)

Sam
05-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Chip and remap are now one and the same thing. Most newer cars can just have the ECU flashed with a program to up the performance.

Gone are the days of cracking open the ECU and getting the soldering iron out. As you're on an 03, you'll want a remap. Best of all, with a diesel, the extra torque will make that smile that much bigger.

Not too many problems, MAF faults are the most common, water ingress is another but it's not as apparent on Golfs as it is on Passats.

4 years/60k miles you're looking at new belts, you may be able to get them to do that before purchase. £10k seems a little steep too, hopefully they'll come down on price with a bit of bartering.

Welcome aboard too, looking forward to your feedback once you've had a go.

The Bishmeister
05-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Cheers for ya reply mate. TBH, I thought it was quite cheap considering it has 30,000miles! But Im gonna get him to bring the price down aswell as through a years warrenty in with it.

I cant ******* wait to test drive it saturday!

(kid in a candy store)

madmonk
05-07-2007, 03:42 PM
hi , i have just paid £9100 for 02 gt tdi with 34000 miles from dealers with being 4 year old they do the belt and tentioners ect free and give it a 12mths all componant warrenty, if you get yours i would run it normal spec for the warrenty period so any niggly defects will get sorted free then get the ECU remapped, for 10k you want all the toys climate , spoiler, and a decent colour ect arm rest is a waste of time as when down you can't use handbrake properly. BE HAPPY DRIVE A GOLF.

Eshrules
05-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the reply eshrules.

I have had a search but I havnt found a great deal that would help when test driving.

Inrespect of chip/remapping, Id rather remap the ecu rather than chip it. This is because chippin ecu's CAN effect the diagnostic side of things.
I have also heard that I could get 170bhp ish from a remap...I reckon that would put a smile on my face!!!

I see you got a Golf TDi...."your baby" ;0)

ok, threads for you to read through....do take the time to read them, they're very useful ;)

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11188&highlight=bora+buying+advice
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6592&highlight=golf+buying+advice
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4484&highlight=golf+buying+advice

in regards to the chipping, as sam says, theres very little difference between the two now, most chippers dont even remove the ecu anymore, they simply 'piggyback' and code using the slave chip. the main method is to flash the ecu via the obd port, trust me, theres no effects on the diagnostics.... these guys are pros.

'my baby' is exactly that, although there have been moments where i could kill her :( and im currently considering a change to a passat (full leather mmm) but honestly, ive only had 2 cars so far and by far, the golf has captured my passion the most. mines only a 115 but by god does it move for the little power it has, 130 is the best mid range tdi, 150 has more power obviously, but has a massive turbo and spool time so large lag... a lot of people choose the 130 over the 150 and remap.....

i doubt no matter what you choose, you will be dissapointed. apart from the usual niggles, there really aren't any major reliability issues. :beerchug:

VanWheeler
05-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Cheers Esh, Thanks for the Plug

Power gains on these can be up to 50HP and 100nm torque and go like stink once they have been done.

Cheers Mark

hi and welcome to the forum ;)

ive moved your post to the relevant section to limit dupe posts ;)

as for the common faults, try a search, there are a lot of threads on here already with an awful lot of information :D

remapping - a 130 bhp should be safe for up to 175/180 bhp (roughly) not sure on what sort of torque increase you would see, but contact chip n spin on here, hes a chipped UK dealer and has received some good feedback ;)