PDA

View Full Version : B7 Scoped In The Flesh

DSG4ME
21-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Saw one today, had a snoot around, impressions?

Style, it is different, more square and blocky, but more aggresive at the front.

Inside, nice, but it's still a B6 feel due to no new dashboard, rear legroom looks slightly better.

Overall it's a nice car, I think it will appeal to those either in a B5 or never owned a Passat before, I'll have one eventually I expect, but it's not ground breaking to me, it is an entirely different car bar the dash though, I don't think anyone who likes a Passat will be saying I'm not having one of those, so tbh it's a facelift that isn't a facelift at all, new DSG knob is nice and classier than the T section one, it's more like the R sport models of the VW range.

Guest 2
21-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Have seen a few about myself and I must say it looks well. Big improvement on the B6 imo.

g-black
21-03-2011, 02:41 PM
As Chris said, loads knocking about NI already. Dealership has a few and I've seen quite a few on the roads too. I think there ok, but don't like the fact they call it a "new Passat" when is a facelift and therefore devalues our cars for no reason other than a new bumper etc.

rapport25
21-03-2011, 03:03 PM
i think there ok, but don't like the fact they call it a "new passat" when is a facelift and therefore devalues our cars for no reason other than a new bumper etc.

x2 :(.

The Fingers
21-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Well i just had one delivered about an hour ago......................:D

2.0 TDI (SE 140) Manual - Candy White.

You are right though get inside and it feels just like a B6 (like a B6 Like B6:biglaugh:)

I am coming out of a 57 SE B6 DSG 140 and although the layout / dash etc etc has had revisions its pretty much the same.

Auto hold button on right side of gear stick though;)

Nothing like the smell of a new car in the morning!!!!!!!

rapport25
21-03-2011, 03:17 PM
(like a B6 Like B6:biglaugh:)

:biglaugh:

VeDubDan
21-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Question - flat tyre indicator/electronic tyre pressure monitoring

whats the difference?

The Fingers
21-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Question - flat tyre indicator/electronic tyre pressure monitoring

whats the difference?

Flat Tyre Indicator - ABS sensors monitor wheels, when one goes flat ABS senses difference in rotation and flags up flat tyre. (Cheap One)

Electronic Tyre Pressure Monitoring - Valve with sensor in each wheel reports exact tire pressure of each wheel in DIS. (the good one)

VeDubDan
21-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I read on VW site that if you opt for a Colour Multifunctional computer you can check the pressure of each individual wheel. So presuming this is not possible without the colour screen? huh?

Mine has got the tyre pressure monitoring but thought I'd need the colour display to do so.

:confused:

The Fingers
21-03-2011, 04:37 PM
I read on VW site that if you opt for a Colour Multifunctional computer you can check the pressure of each individual wheel. So presuming this is not possible without the colour screen? huh?

Mine has got the tyre pressure monitoring but thought I'd need the colour display to do so.

:confused:

The proper one comes on 'sport' models.

The cheap one comes on 'SE' models. (so far it seems like you set the tire pressures, then press the button and drive around for a bit, this then tells the ABS sensors what the crack is and they report back if anything significant changes) i will be surprised if it will notice a say 5 psi drop. Will have a play and see how sensitive it is.

The colour screen is no different to the standard 'highline' apart from being colour. So i assume if you have the proper tyre sh*t then it should be all good with the standard issue screen on a sport model.

If like me you have an SE then it will be the cheapo nasty one, which lets face it it will have to be quick to point out a flat before you notice it yourself.

VeDubDan
21-03-2011, 04:42 PM
I've ordered a Sport so i will report what the deal is.

In the meantime, why not slash all 4 of your tyres to test this functionality?:biglaugh:

The Fingers
21-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I've ordered a Sport so i will report what the deal is.

In the meantime, why not slash all 4 of your tyres to test this functionality?:biglaugh:

Ordered a SPORT............Now you are showing off. I feel underspecced already!!!!, yours will have the cornering fogs too. Mine has DRL's where the fogs should be.

Good idea.......... off outside with a stanley blade:D. Had it a couple of hours and already i want a flat tire!!;) to see if it works.

wait till your get to play with the DAB module, my god its a mare. Too many settings to play with just to get the radio on. (local, national, freq this, freq that) I am listening to the FM till i get to grips with it. Good read over the distruction book tonight and will be all good.

Its surprising how 'baggy' my B6 had got at 70,000 miles / 3 years as this feels tight (a lot tighter)

VeDubDan
21-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm sure once you've had an evening with it that DAB will become easy. you can tell me all about it! :D

Bet you can't wait to go for a big drive. You got anti-fatique?

May i suggest tonight you take some sleeping pills, do 90MPH down the M6 and if it works?

The Fingers
21-03-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm sure once you've had an evening with it that DAB will become easy. you can tell me all about it! :D

Bet you can't wait to go for a big drive. You got anti-fatique?

May i suggest tonight you take some sleeping pills, do 90MPH down the M6 and if it works?

Anti Fatigue - we will be arguing every Monday morning. Apparently if you pretend to be tired (head droop and a bit of wandering with the wheel) it goes off. Cant wait to try this out and see if it works.

I have to fight the sleepy eyes to the next services every now and again. We will see if it picks this out as fatigue!! Quick redbull / costa 10 mins kip and all fine again.

Couple of hours with the distruction book and i will be a B7 Sexpert.

She is right outside my office window and i keep looking at her you are right tonight she is going to get some milage put on her. I will be able to get the Mrs back for that head ache she had the other night, sorry love i am playing with me Passat!!!!

VeDubDan
21-03-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm in the Manchester area - i'll keep my eye open for a white passat flying abuot with the DAB blasting and the driver either falling asleep or slashing his own tyres!

DSG4ME
22-03-2011, 06:16 AM
I still think had they changed the dash, it would look more like a new model, the body panels are different, and unless it's a placebo the car is slightly bigger over the B6, and if they've managed to iron out all the B6 faults like the ing,inj etc, it makes the car a sensible buy still given the dep rates on them over other cars, fuel and emissions are well in advance of everyone else right now as well, esp the Bluemotion models, the jump in mine is the off figures urban are 32, and now the Blue 140 dsg is quoted at 44.5 mpg urban, like to know if anyone with a CR engine in a 7 is getting anywhere near 60-70 mpg overall.

The Fingers
22-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Whats it like then.........................

First impressions having done about 30 miles, Like it ALOT!!

Lots of improvements over the old one (comparing to a 57 DSG SE 140).

Stereo Area - Miles better, i had RCD300 / Aux in (cheap connects 2 unit) / parrot ls 3200. Now the new one has RCD 310 (still bobby basic i know) DAB, Bluetooth music streaming, fantastic phone kit, MDI with 5volt charging for ipod etc etc.

All carpets / plastics etc etc feel better quality allround.

Button layout - How it should have been in the B6 ( we all know they didnt make a true right hand drive version of the switch gear round the gear lever)

Some of you have probably had this before, but the coming home / leaving home lighting has little lights in the wing mirrors to light up the floor next to the doors.

Lights - non projector ones now, although this is strictly a backward step they do seem better and throw light further.

Fatigue Detection - Only works above 40mph on a straight road with no bends (ie motorway) we should get on fine on monday mornings!!

Parking Brake - Periodically winds motors on and off (one at a time) when left for long periods to reduce failier.

It is still very tight but engine is alot more refined compared to my old PD lump. Cabin is loads quieter. Handling i am now on conti's in new car (marangoni's old car) turn in is great, no skipping through corners, less understeer still there just doesnt let go quite as easy. Soaks up bumps / grids miles better.

I had loads of minor improvements to tell you about but i have slept and forgot now. They will come to me, its almost a 'no way thats the same thing but works better in the new one'. It may just be me you know 'kid in a sweet shop'

Once i have had it a few more days and done some more miles / spent more time in it i will give more feed back. But first impressions are GOOD GOOD GOOD.

We are all saying its really a B6.5 i would say this would be more of a B6.8

VeDubDan
22-03-2011, 02:06 PM
excellent - thanks for the brief review.

3 more sleeps for me!!!

The Fingers
22-03-2011, 03:27 PM
One thing i have noticed is the prep before delivery was rushed / non existant, even though they have had it for two weeks!!

The windows are filthy (inside) and its dusty. Its got finger prints pretty much everywhere it was touched. It looks like whoever put the dealer sticker under the window brake light had just finished a bag of chips!!

With it being white, possibly completely unwaxed!! and even only after a total of 150 miles (including the 80 miles it did being delivered i mean rallied to my office) the dirt is starting to settle in up the rear side of the wheel arches.

First Shopping List:-

MUD FLAPS
GLASS WIPES
DECENT WAX (i only have a bottle of MER and while its a blank canvas i am going to treat it to some of the good sh*t)
SOFT POLISH CLOTHS

Then this weekend its a good wax, hardwire my tomtom charger into fuse box at drivers side end, hopefully i will find boot 12v fuse in there like on my old one. Quick job if it is, good earth and then solder live to output side of fuse spade. DONE!! to save me having a ciggy lighter socket in the fuse box area i may try and pick up a charge from the MDI as it puts out 5v which is the same as required by my tomtom. but do i want to be pulling all the glove box to bits yet?

Now finally a question........

Where does the service book go? it cant stay on the seat where they left it and the usual slot in the glove (i wonder how people keep gloves in it) box is filled with MDI stuff now. WELL DONE VW!!:confused:

The Fingers
22-03-2011, 03:53 PM
excellent - thanks for the brief review.

3 more sleeps for me!!!

3 more sleeps is a nightmare.

It could be worse we are still awaiting the delivery of two golfs with the 1.6 TDI and they have been on order for two months longer than my passat which is here. Still no confirmed delivery date yet. Those two guys are well p*ssed as we have loaner ford crocuses for them and they are complete rubbish, they were even more p*ssed when my passat turned up.......EARLY:D

NOT LONG NOW, i keep making excuses to pop out of the office for a sneaky drive;)

VeDubDan
22-03-2011, 03:59 PM
For the car care stuff - Seeing as you're in the Manchester area I recommend heading over to AutoCraze in Walkden. I bought a shed load of stuff from there and they're always super helpful. I always buy Meguiar's stuff. It's not cheap but it's really good. They'll even come out to your car and polish a panel for you to show you the effect. You can go crazy with the products, they do a product for every car care task you have. Plus they'll advise you on what to buy so you're not buying stuff you don't need or they'll suggest a cheap alternative. I suppose the polish stuff is cheap comparing to others by brough&howard - think they sell one for around £20k! Meguiars around £25. :biglaugh:

VeDubDan
22-03-2011, 04:03 PM
3 more sleeps is a nightmare.

NOT LONG NOW, i keep making excuses to pop out of the office for a sneaky drive;)

It's killing me this now! Going away Friday for the weekend so looking forward to giving it a good run!

The Fingers
22-03-2011, 04:10 PM
For the car care stuff - Seeing as you're in the Manchester area I recommend heading over to AutoCraze in Walkden. I bought a shed load of stuff from there and they're always super helpful. I always buy Meguiar's stuff. It's not cheap but it's really good. They'll even come out to your car and polish a panel for you to show you the effect. You can go crazy with the products, they do a product for every car care task you have. Plus they'll advise you on what to buy so you're not buying stuff you don't need or they'll suggest a cheap alternative. I suppose the polish stuff is cheap comparing to others by brough&howard - think they sell one for around £20k! Meguiars around £25. :biglaugh:

I was actually thinking of 'Zaino' products this time, i have driven past autocraze a few times will have to pop in.

my worst wax nightmare to date was with my black passat, the kids used to polish the car for a few quid, which turned into me paying before they wax and then them not waxing, now its me paying and no mention of waxing.

Well they had been shopping knowing its car polish time when they get back.

They decided to buy some pound shop wax, this was parafin based and stunk real bad. They then gave it a really good spreading putting far too much on. This dried and would not come off, i spent 3 hours buffing then fell over and gave up. It was about three days and 12 fairy liquid washes before it had gone.

Do you want us to polish you car dad............................ERM................ .......NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Fingers
22-03-2011, 04:18 PM
It's killing me this now! Going away Friday for the weekend so looking forward to giving it a good run!

Good idea..... we are coming to end of first Qtr bonus time (feel like a Bwanker with a few less zeros) so i can hear Cornwall calling early this year.

I am thinking with the extra bank holiday in April and a full weeks holiday only costing 3 days leave that week cause some posh toff is getting hitched. Cornwall here we come!!!

VeDubDan
22-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Good idea..... we are coming to end of first Qtr bonus time (feel like a Bwanker with a few less zeros) so i can hear Cornwall calling early this year.

I am thinking with the extra bank holiday in April and a full weeks holiday only costing 3 days leave that week cause some posh toff is getting hitched. Cornwall here we come!!!

already booked. As soon as I heard the word "extra bank holiday" I was on it like a car bonnet! 3 days holiday - off for 12!

Interest to test the MPG on the passat usually average 45MPG on the Golf to Northwales and back. Will provide the results on here Monday morn ' hopefully!

Bet you can't wait to out there today - this sun is awesome.

VeDubDan
22-03-2011, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=The Fingers;628403]Good idea..... we are coming to end of first Qtr bonus time (feel like a Bwanker with a few less zeros) so i can hear Cornwall calling early this year.
QUOTE]

Have you got the SD card reader on your head unit? Keen to see what this is like. Also, did you suss the DAB shoyte out?

The Fingers
22-03-2011, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=The Fingers;628403]Good idea..... we are coming to end of first Qtr bonus time (feel like a Bwanker with a few less zeros) so i can hear Cornwall calling early this year.
QUOTE]

Have you got the SD card reader on your head unit? Keen to see what this is like. Also, did you suss the DAB shoyte out?

No mine is the RCD310 bobby basic one, you have the RNS 315 which will have an SD slot. I believe you just set the file tree like on an MP3 CD and it will be just like having an MP3 player attached.

DAB is actually pretty easy, tune it in and forget all the other Bo**ocks, most settings dont need changing. I am in one of those area's where the signal drops out alot so i will have to reserve judgement for a few days as we are still arguing a little. I am currently listening to my album collection streamed from my Blackberry over the blueteeth. Sound quality over the R2D2 blueteeth is perfect, crank it up and it sounds crystal even some of the more bassy tracks off of 'recovery - eminem - going through changes' the guy is a genius.

Interest to test the MPG on the passat usually average 45MPG on the Golf to Northwales and back. Will provide the results on here Monday morn ' hopefully!

I havent done much milage but mine is showing about 10mpg over and above last car tinkering around town. So forecast looks good. Still only shows a range of 700 miles to a full tank in dis though.

VeDubDan
23-03-2011, 02:56 PM
So fingers - hows day 3 of the B7?

The Fingers
23-03-2011, 03:38 PM
So fingers - hows day 3 of the B7?

Vast improvement over previous car, i cannot tell you how pleased i am with it. It is also quite a head turner as there are not many around these parts and the White one sticks out a mile.

Now its done 250 miles i am starting to give it a few full throttle blasts in 3rd up to about 4000rpm. Its still very tight and doesnt feel as harshly fast as the 140 pd with DSG. But it pulls like a train i am going to give it up to 1000miles to ease off before a pop on the 'Italian box' (see ebay). this should turn it into 170 - 180 BHP bullet train!!

Two more get ups for you then, its like waiting for xmas morning or going on holiday time drags.

All i can say is its certainly a big difference from the B6 and as they say at McDonalds 'i'm loving it'

Needs a wash though:zx11:

Thats it off for a drive:D

VeDubDan
23-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Glad I got the 2.0litre - I did almost get the 1.6 due to the extra MPG but if you're saying it pulls well then I'm happy! I imagine the 1.6 to work a bit harder when fully loaded so 2.0 should cope no probs.

I'm actually going to enjoy filling the tank up! :biglaugh:

Please Mr VW, don't let me down on Friday!

VeDubDan
23-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Thats it off for a drive:D

Still not seen one on the road. Nipped to the pub on lunch today and a saloon went past.

So if you do go for a drive - head up this way! :biglaugh:

The Fingers
23-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Glad I got the 2.0litre - I did almost get the 1.6 due to the extra MPG but if you're saying it pulls well then I'm happy! I imagine the 1.6 to work a bit harder when fully loaded so 2.0 should cope no probs.

I'm actually going to enjoy filling the tank up! :biglaugh:

Please Mr VW, don't let me down on Friday!

You had exactly the same thought as me, i had a 1.9 lump (105 bhp same as the new 1.6) in a Mk5 golf that was OK but no match for the 2.0.

I have driven a golf albeit for about 2 miles with the 1.6 TDI and you needed to really wind it up to get anything out of it. That was me in it alone (10 stone wet threw) i could only imagine it 4 up.

When you look at the savings for being in a 1.6 (114 g/km) against the 2.0 140 (119 g/km) there isnt much difference. the tax bill (co car) from my B6 140 dsg (172 g/km) was massive (big mistake) the new one same output more toys less than half the BIK tax bill (massive bonus) its a no brainer.

This 2.0 TDI CR BMT (sounds like a subway sandwich) is a peach very smooth power delivery, its also quiet as a mouse, seems a little flat very very early in the rev range until the turbo starts to spool up at about 1600 rpm, its then a strong pull right up to the 4000 rpm (red lines at 5K) where i bottled it. I killed a brand fire new 2 stroke 125 TZR bike once by buying it riding it home, opening the valve in the exhaust and thrashing the sh*t out of it after about 5 miles, little ends were ****** in 500 miles. lesson learned although you could pull the engine to bits in about 20 mins. This one is going to get a gradual build up over 1000 miles. i am sure she will loosen up nicely.

I am still struggling with the manual a bit after having a DSG for three years. Forget to change gear every now and again. Also i have to remind myself when stopping at the lights. Luck would have it that the stop start restarts the stalled engine when you put the clutch in. I will soon get the hang of it again. Its re training my subconcious auto pilot!!!

Filled her up as they rallied it to me with the fuel light on!!!! £ 92.00 full thank d lord for allstar cards!!! Also no free bottle of oil with this one to top up over first 1000 miles again thank d lord for allstar cards.

God i waffle a bit!!!!!:D

VeDubDan
23-03-2011, 04:57 PM
You had exactly the same thought as me, i had a 1.9 lump (105 bhp same as the new 1.6) in a Mk5 golf that was OK but no match for the 2.0.

I have driven a golf albeit for about 2 miles with the 1.6 TDI and you needed to really wind it up to get anything out of it. That was me in it alone (10 stone wet threw) i could only imagine it 4 up.

When you look at the savings for being in a 1.6 (114 g/km) against the 2.0 140 (119 g/km) there isnt much difference. the tax bill (co car) from my B6 140 dsg (172 g/km) was massive (big mistake) the new one same output more toys less than half the BIK tax bill (massive bonus) its a no brainer.

This 2.0 TDI CR BMT (sounds like a subway sandwich) is a peach very smooth power delivery, its also quiet as a mouse, seems a little flat very very early in the rev range until the turbo starts to spool up at about 1600 rpm, its then a strong pull right up to the 4000 rpm (red lines at 5K) where i bottled it. I killed a brand fire new 2 stroke 125 TZR bike once by buying it riding it home, opening the valve in the exhaust and thrashing the sh*t out of it after about 5 miles, little ends were ****** in 500 miles. lesson learned although you could pull the engine to bits in about 20 mins. This one is going to get a gradual build up over 1000 miles. i am sure she will loosen up nicely.

I am still struggling with the manual a bit after having a DSG for three years. Forget to change gear every now and again. Also i have to remind myself when stopping at the lights. Luck would have it that the stop start restarts the stalled engine when you put the clutch in. I will soon get the hang of it again. Its re training my subconcious auto pilot!!!

Filled her up as they rallied it to me with the fuel light on!!!! £ 92.00 full thank d lord for allstar cards!!! Also no free bottle of oil with this one to top up over first 1000 miles again thank d lord for allstar cards.

God i waffle a bit!!!!!:D

ahem?! £92 for a full tank!? No bloody wonder they say it can do 1000 miles per full tank! My Golf would do a 1000 miles on £90 worth of juice!?!

(I like your waffle - any talk of the new passat tides me over tell i see one in REAL life!) :biglaugh::biglaugh:

The Fingers
23-03-2011, 05:12 PM
ahem?! £92 for a full tank!? No bloody wonder they say it can do 1000 miles per full tank! My Golf would do a 1000 miles on £90 worth of juice!?!

(I like your waffle - any talk of the new passat tides me over tell i see one in REAL life!) :biglaugh::biglaugh:

That £92.00 was fuel light just on so i would say a £100 tank is only weeks away, lets face it if it dont calm down in the east soon i think we could be £ 150 a tank by summer. its just so boring filling it up, most people have pulled up after me put in their £20 paid and are home having their tea and i am still filling!!!!!! You can actually see the suspension drop under the weight.

My B6 was a £90 fill up a few weeks ago and that did about 650 miles to the tank.

we have a 911 4s, 2 335i BMW coupes and a couple of golf gti's and mine is currently the talk of the carpark:D I would still swap the MD though for his 4s!!!! its a beast the kids could get the BUS!!

VeDubDan
23-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I asked if VW would fill my tank up due to the problems with the delivery schedule - I suspect that will be a no due to the cost of one.

The Fingers
23-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I asked if VW would fill my tank up due to the problems with the delivery schedule - I suspect that will be a no due to the cost of one.

This is the first car i have had that didn't come with a full tank.

All others came from Smith Knight Faye / lakeside and they are always clean and tidy with a brimmed tank, nice key rings and a show round to make sure you knew about hand brake etc etc. This one 'here chief (yes he called me chief, i am going to have to stop trying to hide the baldness with feathers!!) cars here, sign there, can you give me a lift to the train station!' Done. Erm bye then!!

this one came in from Burton on Trent (why i do not know) with no fuel. they may give the delivery drivers the cash to fill them up and he pockets it ;-)

logiclee
23-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Newbolds VW were pretty good with mine, it was all polished up lovely but only had a quarter of a tank in and no freebies. Pretty poor to say I'd just handed them £24000. Skoda gave my wife a bunch of flowers when we picked her Fabia up and my Dad was presented with a Jeep umberella when he picked his Patriot up.

Costing me £85 to fill up from near the red mark on the fuel guage, try not to get as far down as the red light. I get about 750 miles out of that and mines a DSG and not Bluemotion Tech, my commute is 60 miles a day mainly Motorway and A road. The taller gearing on the bluemotion tech would probably give me a bit more as would the regen alternator but probably wouldn't make much use of the stop start.

The Euro5 CR 2.0 140 is a super refined unit but it does take a few thousand miles before it starts to loosen up fully. Mine will zip round to near 5000rpm now but for the fastest progress there's no point in going past 4500rpm in my opinion.

Mines now done 8000 miles and doesn't feel like a diesel at all, one other thing in those 8000miles it hasn't used a drop of oil despite the warning from the dealer that it would and the 1 litre top up they gave me is still unopened.

Cheers
Lee

The Fingers
24-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Newbolds VW were pretty good with mine, it was all polished up lovely but only had a quarter of a tank in and no freebies. Pretty poor to say I'd just handed them £24000. Skoda gave my wife a bunch of flowers when we picked her Fabia up and my Dad was presented with a Jeep umberella when he picked his Patriot up.

Costing me £85 to fill up from near the red mark on the fuel guage, try not to get as far down as the red light. I get about 750 miles out of that and mines a DSG and not Bluemotion Tech, my commute is 60 miles a day mainly Motorway and A road. The taller gearing on the bluemotion tech would probably give me a bit more as would the regen alternator but probably wouldn't make much use of the stop start.

The Euro5 CR 2.0 140 is a super refined unit but it does take a few thousand miles before it starts to loosen up fully. Mine will zip round to near 5000rpm now but for the fastest progress there's no point in going past 4500rpm in my opinion.

Mines now done 8000 miles and doesn't feel like a diesel at all, one other thing in those 8000miles it hasn't used a drop of oil despite the warning from the dealer that it would and the 1 litre top up they gave me is still unopened.

Cheers
Lee

You can tell in mine when the sun is on it that the windows havent had a wipe over, they are full of dust.

I was surprised by the stop start, i thought i wouldn't use it............But......... its just there in the back ground, cuts engine out when you pop it in neutral at a long wait at traffic lights, i have noticed though that it doesnt come on unless you get the clutch pedal right to the floor. Also stays fired up if you are on a relatively steep hill. Its fired back up before you have the clutch pedal half way to the floor to pop it in first. The engine is so quiet that i sometimes have to look down at the rev counter to see if it has stopped.

Bonus with the stop start is that it re starts the car is you stall it, pop clutch in and it fires back up no bother. It seems pretty well thought out. Yes i have managed to stall a diesel, coming out of a DSG i keep forgetting the third pedal is there.

The gearing seems quite a bit taller than any other 6 speed i have driven, 1st is short, 2nd is then a very long gear seems to take miles longer to get through second than i am used to out of the 140 lump. May pick up when engine frees up more. 3rd and 4th seem pretty much as my DSG PD140. It doesnt like 5th at 35 - 40 mph and 6th is well........ i dont know i have not managed to get any use out of it yet. Poor thing has only done 250 miles!!!

I am finding 'auto hold' pretty useless most of the time in a manual. In the DSG i couldn't have lived without it. I am actually missing my DSG a little too!!

I also still havent sussed out why the three botton module is in the roof panel. I havent managed to make a button do anything yet!!!!

MDI - amazing coupled with the now spot on factory fit bluetooth (i think parrot ahave something to do with this now)

The new SE seats are miles better shape, i used to find the 'bum' part not quite long enough on the B6 se seats and got pain up back of legs after a long stint. They were also too flat. The only complaint would be the spacing between side bolsters made for a 'fatty' but saying that i am only slim. I think the old SE seats are now the S seats in the new one. The new SE seats are a little like golf GT sport seats.

logiclee
24-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I am finding 'auto hold' pretty useless most of the time in a manual. In the DSG i couldn't have lived without it. I am actually missing my DSG a little too!!

Yeh I never use the handrake, I have auto hold set on by default. Pull away and the handrake goes off, pull up in drive and the car just sits there untill you press the throttle and when I pull up at the end of my drive the handbrake comes on when I undo the seat belt, job done.
Probably why the stop start wouldn't bother me too much as I hardly ever take the car out of drive and never do on my 60 mile commute.

The CR DSG combo is a silky smooth combination, I've only ever driven a PD DSG Golf and the experience was quite different.

I did say in the other thead the manual B7 I tried had noticably longer gearing than my B6, I know the B6 Bluemotion Tech had taller gearing too but it wasn't available as a DSG. My old Mondeo diesel had 6th at about 35mph/1000rpm, my Passat seems to be about 32.5mph/1000rpm (GPS Speed).

Cheers
Lee

The Fingers
25-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Yeh I never use the handrake, I have auto hold set on by default. Pull away and the handrake goes off, pull up in drive and the car just sits there untill you press the throttle and when I pull up at the end of my drive the handbrake comes on when I undo the seat belt, job done.
Probably why the stop start wouldn't bother me too much as I hardly ever take the car out of drive and never do on my 60 mile commute.

The CR DSG combo is a silky smooth combination, I've only ever driven a PD DSG Golf and the experience was quite different.

I did say in the other thead the manual B7 I tried had noticably longer gearing than my B6, I know the B6 Bluemotion Tech had taller gearing too but it wasn't available as a DSG. My old Mondeo diesel had 6th at about 35mph/1000rpm, my Passat seems to be about 32.5mph/1000rpm (GPS Speed).

Cheers
Lee

Yes auto hold and dsg were made for each other, the combo is just so user friendly. it wasn't on as default in my 57 se dsg (PD) so it was a bit of a pain remembering to put it on sometimes but after a while it was like second nature to hit the swith as you pop it in drive when you first set off.

PD DSG is quite harsh if you give it too much gas, but having now driven a new CR i would say the dsg would be immense, especially with the revised auto hold set up.

Auto hold with the manual is OK most of the time until you are in traffic on a downward slope, you then have to give it a bit of gas, to get auto hold to disengage. I just feels a little alien, DSG is tiny tap on gas auto hold of, manual clutch and gas together.

I did a but of a test last night and 40 MPH is 1200rpm in 5th, if it drops down to say 37 mph there isnt enough beans to pull it back up to 40 you have to drop to 4th or wait forever. May improve as engine loosens up.

Now a slight disaster - got home last night and either some one gas stolen it or its fell out but i have lost a centre cap off front passenger wheel............NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!! Rang VW supplying dealer (TL Derby) this morning and without any hassle they said dont worry we will order you one and post it out. It seems they have had 4 passats in the last three weeks that have lost a centre cap or two. Watch out for yours!!!

logiclee
26-03-2011, 10:57 AM
I did a but of a test last night and 40 MPH is 1200rpm in 5th, if it drops down to say 37 mph there isnt enough beans to pull it back up to 40 you have to drop to 4th or wait forever. May improve as engine loosens up.

It does look like the gearing is quite a bit higher then although the engine will loosen up with a few thousand miles on. My last Mondeo was a 3.0V6 Petrol and that had 6th gear at 27mph/1000rpm, it would happily burble along in 6th at 30mph. Used to average about 26mpg so when my commute increased from 18miles to 60miles it had to go.

One other thing with the CR, because it's more refined and linear than the PD you tend to believe it's not pulling as hard as it is when actually the much wider spread of torque means you make better progress.
My wifes 1.9PD engined Fabia feels like it pulls much harder than my Passat but on the road I can easily pull away from it.

Cheers
Lee

VeDubDan
28-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Well, collected the car Friday. Oh my word, it is AWESOME.

So in love with it. Parked it right outside my office window and it looks amazing.

Everything is feels really well put together and it drive really well. Feels like a much more expensive car than it is.

However I do have a niggle - the boot. Press the button on the key fob and its unlocks it but it doesn't open (Automatic boot opening was listed as a feature?). Also, the "Tailgate" button on the drivers door doesn't seem to do anything, nothing. Am I missing something or do I have a fault?

Other than that - it's a$$ spankingly good!

The Fingers
28-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Well, collected the car Friday. Oh my word, it is AWESOME.

So in love with it. Parked it right outside my office window and it looks amazing.

Everything is feels really well put together and it drive really well. Feels like a much more expensive car than it is.

However I do have a niggle - the boot. Press the button on the key fob and its unlocks it but it doesn't open (Automatic boot opening was listed as a feature?). Also, the "Tailgate" button on the drivers door doesn't seem to do anything, nothing. Am I missing something or do I have a fault?

Other than that - it's a$$ spankingly good!

Saloon or estate?

Saloon - button should open the boot fully (both of them - keyfob and interior button)

Estate - i think the button just unlocks the boot as if it opened and you were close to a wall it would hit. I think this would mean the button inside wouldn't do much if the car is unlocked already with you in it.

If you have a saloon you have a fault, if estate i would say its right, but someone with a big *** should be able to confirm.

Glad you like it they are great aren't they, yours is white like mine also yes?

I am loving mine more everyday, the engine is lossening up all the time.

VW have also replaced the missing centre cap this morning (well done Marco and T L Darby) no hassle only reported it missing late last week new one arrive FOC in post this morning.

Enjoy.................................

VeDubDan
28-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Thats excellent service by VW! Bet you were gutted to see a centre cap missing!!!?!

Yes mine is a white, sport, estate. Disappointed about the boot thing, I know what you're saying and I suppose it does make sense. Just annoying to have a button that doesn't do anything, and more so when i've read "Automatic Boot Opening" as a standard feature. Usually it has a little * next to a feature to denote extra information around that particular thing, Oh well.

Makes sense now that that wouldn't apply to estates -:(

The Fingers
28-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Thats excellent service by VW! Bet you were gutted to see a centre cap missing!!!?!

Yes mine is a white, sport, estate. Disappointed about the boot thing, I know what you're saying and I suppose it does make sense. Just annoying to have a button that doesn't do anything, and more so when i've read "Automatic Boot Opening" as a standard feature. Usually it has a little * next to a feature to denote extra information around that particular thing, Oh well.

Makes sense now that that wouldn't apply to estates -:(

We need photo's next to each other.................

Top Boll**ks White Sport estate next to a Sh*t Box White SE saloon (with auto boot opening and 4 centre caps!!!):biglaugh:

I think the Boot opening on yours should actually disengage the lock so you just have to lift it open. I think even the wavvy foot thing would have been a disappointment in your estate. Wave your foot and it smacks you in the chops!!

They do feel well put together though dont they, i dont think i was this chuffed when my B6 DSG turned up!!

logiclee
28-03-2011, 04:57 PM
They do feel well put together though dont they, i dont think i was this chuffed when my B6 DSG turned up!!

Great you are both delighted with your cars. I think the early B6's were a step too far too soon for VW. When you look at the guys having all the parking brake, rattly dash, faulty injector and other issues on their 2005-2007 B6's you wonder what VW were thinking. Must have turned away many customers from having another VW. The 2.0 16V PD engine really turned out to be an unrefined and for many an unreliable lump didn't it. VAG should have stayed with the 1.9PD and put all it's eggs into the CR basket a generation earlier.
But for the B7 everything is tried and tested more or less, can bus is now widely in use as are the MDI and bluetooth integration, the CR engines have proven reliable, bluemotion tech's proven and the build practices for the B6/B7 platform have been refined over the last 6 years and the cars now feel solid and extremely well put together.
I still think the Passat lags behind in spec compared to other big family saloons for the money but as an overall package it's hard to beat, especially if you are buying out of your own pocket.
If lead times had been better I may have gone for a Superb Elegance instead but I would have needed a new garage then because the bloody thing is huge. Because of the new bumper design the B7 Passat is 4mm longer than the B6 but I think I'd scrape that in without extending the garage. :D

Cheers
Lee

The Fingers
28-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Great you are both delighted with your cars. I think the early B6's were a step too far too soon for VW. When you look at the guys having all the parking brake, rattly dash, faulty injector and other issues on their 2005-2007 B6's you wonder what VW were thinking. Must have turned away many customers from having another VW. The 2.0 16V PD engine really turned out to be an unrefined and for many an unreliable lump didn't it. VAG should have stayed with the 1.9PD and put all it's eggs into the CR basket a generation earlier.
But for the B7 everything is tried and tested more or less, can bus is now widely in use as are the MDI and bluetooth integration, the CR engines have proven reliable, bluemotion tech's proven and the build practices for the B6/B7 platform have been refined over the last 6 years and the cars now feel solid and extremely well put together.
I still think the Passat lags behind in spec compared to other big family saloons for the money but as an overall package it's hard to beat, especially if you are buying out of your own pocket.
If lead times had been better I may have gone for a Superb Elegance instead but I would have needed a new garage then because the bloody thing is huge. Because of the new bumper design the B7 Passat is 4mm longer than the B6 but I think I'd scrape that in without extending the garage. :D

Cheers
Lee

Agree totally there.........................

My B6 was an 08 (57) it was a really good car (apart from DSG failing at 55K)

The 2.0 PD was a harsh lump attached to the 6 speed wet dsg, it was as if only the first inch of the pedal was usable until you got into third. Kick down rolling in roundabouts was the worst. Mine engine wise was fine although suffered usual very lumpy idle. Very agressive come turbo spool up time, GAS....................BOOOOOOOOOOOM.

This CR unit is a world away from the PD power delivery is very smooth right through the rev range (still tight yet but loosening up every day). Its also a lot quieter acn only just hear it ticking over. (this could be more sound insulation or just that the CR is quieter than the PD)

Quieter, smoother, plusher, more toys (compare 57 SE to 11 SE) even the ride is better and now i am on 17s rather than the 16s on last one soaks up the bumps loads better.

I would give my B6 say 7 out of 10 where my B7 is currently a 8 out of 10 may improve to 9.

logiclee
28-03-2011, 05:40 PM

This CR unit is a world away from the PD power delivery is very smooth right through the rev range (still tight yet but loosening up every day). Its also a lot quieter acn only just hear it ticking over. (this could be more sound insulation or just that the CR is quieter than the PD)

The CR is silent on tickover in the B6 and come to think of it in the Golf and Superb too with no vibration reaching the cabin. You get a light growliness with foot to the floor but never any diesel knock or rattle.
To give you a DSG comparison with your old car I can floor the car in 1st from the line with just the slightest chirip from the front tyres and even full throttle change to second is hardly noticable. I have a workmate with a 170PD manual and I can beat him from the line everytime wet or dry, it really annoys him.
The CR units may lack that kick in the back but they are far more refined and much easier to get the torque down.
The DSG does like to hang onto each gear to nearly 5000rpm though when your are flat out and I think it's faster manual changing at 4200-4500rpm but once yours is run in and freed off you will find out for yourself. :approve:

Cheers
Lee

Passatier3
20-04-2011, 02:06 PM
I've owned a B5 and two B6 estates and when I heard a B7 was due out looked for some pictures on the web. I was disappointed to see that it was basically a facelift and IMO the new corporate look doesn't fit with the design of the car. I'm not keen on it with the Golf, prefer the previous version, but with the Passat I think it has ruined the looks.

For me the B6 was a complete design where the body, radiator and lights were designed in the whole with the result, that for me, was a nice looking car and one that I wanted as soon as it came out.

With the B7 the radiator and lights just don't work in what is only a slightly altered body and having seen a few on the road confirms what I thought when first seeing the photos. In fact I would go further and say it looks nondescript and bland. What have VW done? I think it will hurt sales? Especially as mechanically and interiorwise it's not much different.

I'd probably have been looking to change mine in the next 12 months if I felt the same about the B7 as I did about the B6 when it appeared but I definitely won't be and will keep the B6 for awhile longer. Easy decision!

logiclee
20-04-2011, 05:37 PM
I quite like the front, especially with optional xenons and LED DRL's.
Side profile is obviously pretty similar to the B6.

I really don't like the rear though looks bland and pretty low rent. Could be a Kia or Hyundai, doesn't look a premium product. Bodywork looks too square and the lights should have been a big, bright, styled LED Cluster, even the optional ones with led tail lights look poor. The facelift Mondeo has a sharper front end with bright LED DRL's and the rear has been smartened with a new all LED cluster. Think VW missed a trick here.

Cheers
Lee

Passatier3
20-04-2011, 09:11 PM
What makes it worse is that other manufacturers are moving on with their designs e.g. Vauxhall, Citreon, Skoda etc. and bringing out more modern and classy designs and I feel that with the Passat, VW are actually going backwards.

I've been a fan of and owned many VW's and Audi's over quite a number of years and I'm glad that I don't need to change just yet otherwise I would have to look elsewhere.

logiclee
20-04-2011, 09:21 PM
The B7 will probably only get atound 3 years as the platform is already over 6 years old. For a mainstream model to be on the same platform for 10 years is virtually unheard of.
The Mondeo Mk4 is 4 years old, 2 years younger than the Passat and Ford expect that to be replaced in 2015.

The A4 seems to get a new platform every 6 sears or so. I wonder if VAG will start sharing more now money is tighter?

Will have to wait and see.

Cheers
Lee

DSG4ME
21-04-2011, 03:56 PM
The B7 will probably only get atound 3 years as the platform is already over 6 years old. For a mainstream model to be on the same platform for 10 years is virtually unheard of.
The Mondeo Mk4 is 4 years old, 2 years younger than the Passat and Ford expect that to be replaced in 2015.

The A4 seems to get a new platform every 6 sears or so. I wonder if VAG will start sharing more now money is tighter?

Will have to wait and see.

Cheers
Lee

I think it might be sooner than that Lee, originally I read 2012, but I think 2013 will be the earliest, I expect to see it get a new dash in the next 12 mths though as it lags behind in sales to the other more 3D looking offerings from the competition, could end up role reversing with the Superb and getting the Skoda's dash in the end, probably depend on it it impacts what they want in the B8, look at that, I think I said it first B8, ok, I'll B8 myself :D

Passatier3
30-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Having now looked closer at them in the showroom agree that the front is alright, but it's just that, alright. But the rear, as Logiclee says is poor.

On the road, when ever I see a saloon I think it's a Jetta because the more slabby sides make it appear smaller. The more I see just confirms my earlier thoughts that overall it is a poor, disjointed design that definitely won't be a grower.

It's good that there are some guys who are really happy with their cars but honestly now do you really like the looks?

logiclee
30-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Having now looked closer at them in the showroom agree that the front is alright, but it's just that, alright. But the rear, as Logiclee says is poor.

On the road, when ever I see a saloon I think it's a Jetta because the more slabby sides make it appear smaller. ?

I like the all new Jetta now it's a saloon car in it's own right and not just a golf with a boot.

Looks like a cross between an A4 and a 3 Series.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/SqZZgzeqcoE/0.jpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_805/car_photo_402748_25.jpg
http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_805/car_photo_402754_7.jpg

You can tell the Jetta is now a complete design and it has more leg room than the Golf

Should ride better than the golf as it has full independant rear suspension same as the Passat instead of the torsion beam arrangement of the Golf and previous Jetta.

I'll certainly give it a look next time.

Cheers
Lee

Passatier3
01-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Yea, it's not a bad looking car but I always wonder where the Jetta fits when you have the Passat which explains the low sales.

Having said that it may well take sales from the Passat now :D especially if it's a bit bigger.