PDA

View Full Version : Whine from audio tweeters - Accepted by factory as known fault

rmccardal
19-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi All,

Just to let you know an issue I have been chasing with VW regarding a high pitched whine that comes from the hifi system that you can hear when music is low/off has been acknowledged by VW Germany as a fault.

The Whine pitch rises and falls with engine revs, so may be linked to alternator.

I am unsure if it is only certain vehicle spec (dynaudio/xenon) but I certainly have it on mine. Thankfully you can't hear anything if you turn the music up or are OLD!! lol

If you you are hard of hearing get someone to put their ear by a door tweeter and rev the engine a bit to see if you have the issue.

They are working on a fix!!

rmccardal
19-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Also, while I am here.

due to the above VW swapped my Alternator out last week to see if that was the cause (it wasn't) and I swear that ever since whenever the car does stop/start the stereo mutes/cuts on engine restart! ... pretty sure this didn't happen before. Can someone confirm please?

thax1
19-03-2011, 12:19 PM
I am unsure if it is only certain vehicle spec (dynaudio/xenon) but I certainly have it on mine. Thankfully you can't hear anything if you turn the music up or are OLD!! lol

I have Dynaudio, with RNS510, but Halogen lights.
No whistle here.

Must be bloody annoying after paying for the hi-fi upgrade

Gregmeister
19-03-2011, 03:59 PM
I had similar issues with a vectra I had. It would buzz/whine through the speakers when certain things were connected to the 12 volt power socket. I presume you dont have anything plugged in?

rmccardal
21-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Nope, nothing in the 12v. It's just picking up interference from electrical systems that's it's supposed to be isolated from.

Could be a ground loop/ bad earth somewhere, but as the factory say it's know I think it might be to do with the bluemotion changes personally.

Anyone got any info on the radio muting on stop/start??

simonsheil
21-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Mind does not, however, I have the standard speakers.