PDA

View Full Version : Mayo on dip stick should I buy?

m/bikertom
17-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Looking of r a car for my mum as the passat is too big & thirsty so looking at the A2 which I love the look of and think it'd be a great car for her.

I have found one though the seller says that the gasket would need to be fixed as the dip stick is contaminated.

The car apparently runs and is ok generally though I am a little concerned buy a car knowing there is a problem, which could be a lot worse than I had originally thought.

The cars a 1.4 petrol with 65k miles. Would I be crazy to buy this or should I collect and sort?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Also on general wear & tear how have these cars stood up? I borrowed one when they first came out and I thought it was quite a nippy frugal car with good seats and switchgear. Have the interiors stood up to the years of abuse?

As you can tell I haven't even been round to see the car as yet as there is no point if the issue described above is going to costs lots!

Many Thanks

Tom

towcestervag
17-03-2011, 07:06 PM
depends on price?
switchgear as a tendancy to peel
antiroll bars and bushes
my mates is a neglegted model and its stood up to the dog etc very well

m/bikertom
23-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Car was up for £2k with 64k on the clock though as I mentioned before I've not been round to look at it as yet due to the distance and as its for my mum so need to be sure she'll be happy with it.

Sure they hold their money though does it have the same feel as other models or was it Audis forray into the mini mpv market which they then left for Vw with the Golf Plus with Seat etc to also offer similar options.

burkey1
23-03-2011, 10:00 PM
cost you at least 500 nicker to get gasket done properly and thats assuming there is nothing else wrong with it that might have caused the failure, or is a result of the failure..,

towcestervag
24-03-2011, 08:56 AM
i feel they are a good little car!
as audi dont do a small mpv other than q3 which is a soft roader and like all newer cars is bigger then you may be right with audi leaving it to vw/seat
they actually drive like a polo but feel more solid

onzarob
24-03-2011, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't bother unless you are experienced in fixing head gaskets. Its a major gamble. find one with no issues and a good history, may cost a little more initially. But less in the long term.

zak40
31-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Hi mate, I'm trade and bought a Tdi version back in Sept 2010 to sell on, i loved it so much i still have it. It's excellent on fuel, road tax is £30 and immensley robust and easy to drive. Definately recommend one to anyone.
Hopefully oneday i'll get round to selling it!!!!!!!

zak40
31-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Hi mate, I'm trade and bought a Tdi version back in Sept 2010 to sell on, i loved it so much i still have it. It's excellent on fuel, road tax is £30 and immensley robust and easy to drive. Definately recommend one to anyone.
Hopefully oneday i'll get round to selling it!!!!!!!

johnloaderuk
31-03-2011, 04:20 PM
If there's any doubt in your mind, which does seem to be the case, leave it. Surely the current owner would be better off fixing it, then trying to sell it for a higher price (perhaps they can't afford to fix it), so that alone would make me suspicious of anything else he's trying to hide on the car. Another one will come along before too long.

Withnail
31-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Does the car warm up quickly and reach the proper temperature, ie @ 87 degrees on the gauge? Running round with a permanently open thermostat caused major amounts of mayo on the dipstick of my A4 over an extended period, albeit with no coolant loss. Once the stat was changed (and it looked fine visually) the build up on the stick melted away in no time.

m/bikertom
02-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Sorry, not been on here for a while.
In answer to the last question, I'm not sure as I haven't taken the car out nor seen it as yet as didnt want to drive what would be a 150mile round trip if I were warned against it.

Glad to here that although Audi discontinued the car a while ago the build quality is heigher than VW and is still worth looking at over a Golf or Golf Plus.

I do like the look of the A2 as I don't think its dated much as it was one on its own and didn't seem to follow the corporate branding as is the cas now with the line up.

I worder wether the A2 was ahead of its time or purley that Audi developed and launched it without a clear focus on their market, pitching it against the Glf Plus, A Class, Zafira(?) and other small MPV's though being higher priced not winning over the owners to buy.

I do think its alittle like the VW 'Rado which was similar in that it had a soft launch a few years after the scirrocco had ceased production, time enough for people to go elsewhere.

I maybe wrong with my timings its just how I remember it, loved the Rado's speed activated spoiler.

Maybe going off track here abit. So moving to price, what would you think a good price to pay for an A2 1.4 Petrol with 50k miles, not bothered about age as I don't think this is as relevent to mileage as this model didnt have a face lift, did it?