PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Earth Fault???

irodgers
17-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Hi - 1st Post so be gentle.

Got 2001 A4 1.9TDI. Sometimes (not always) get warning lights up together and independently to tell me front Nearside Sidelight and indeed rear nearside Brake lights arent working.

Doesnt happen all the time and generally if it does happen then within 10-15 minutes sometimes sooner the warning lights disappear and everything back to normal. I have checked bulbs etc and they do work but not when warning light is on.

Anyone seen this before and if so any ideas on cause/cure. IS there a common earth that could be checked??

Thanks to anyone that may be able to help.

hibbsy21
17-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi and welcome to the site!

Right then, does it occur during wet weather? It could mean the electrics are damp.

Does it happen after you have been on a particularly bumpy road? Something could be loose and the wires could be moving away from where they should be.

And lastly, you could have a fault fuse or relay.

Good luck and i hope this helps

irodgers
17-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks for that

I have to be honest and say that nothing obvious comes to mind. For instance can go to start 1st thing in morning and the lights start flashing as soon as I turn the ignition key, or can have been driving for some time and then they start - doesnt really have any pattern

I have tried contact cleaner etc - but that hasnt made any differnce