PDA

View Full Version : Retro-fitting Autochanger to an A4

Hairy_Dave
04-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi all,

I've just bought a 2001 A4 2.0 sport and, no doubt because it's an ex-demo, it is only fitted with a tape player. It fits the dash very nicely and though I know you can get the kits so a non-audi stereo will fit similarly well, I happen to already have a Sony 6 CD autochanger, so it seems sensible, if possible, just to plug this in.

Only question is how?! I've had a look round the threads on here, and on some other sites and can't seem to find the information I'm looking for. From my cursory observations there doesn't seem to be an easy way to feed a cable from the rear of the current head unit as the centre unit is solidly encased. I have seen mention made of two courses of action and wonder if anyone can advise on their accuracy:

1. Apparently in the boot the leads should already be there ready to plug in. I can't see them anywhere obvious and there aren't any hatches lurking which I haven't explored. Will I find them if I remove the pretty carpetting?

2. There is an alternative glovebox arrangement to mine (mine allows no access to the rear of the HU), will removing/replacing the glove box reveal the cables, or at least allow access to the HU for me to wire up the autochanger?

Surely someone must have retro-fitted a (non-audi) CD multichanger to one of these models before? Any guidance gratefully received. My cassette collection is limited and there's only so many times one can listen to 'sultans of swing'.

Thanks

Dave