PDA

View Full Version : Island Grey Pearl B7

Spanky5317
15-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone

I am hopefully taking delivery of my new passat B7 on the 31st March :D. I have ordered the 1.6tdi se saloon in Island Grey Pearl. I have not seen this in the flesh yet, but opted for this over Urano Grey.

Whilst in my local dealer recently I noticed a number of B6 saloons in Island Grey Metallic - is this the same as the Pearlescent I have opted for - or is the metallic a different finish???

I look forward to your comments.

Many thanks

JC

The Fingers
16-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Island Grey is a pearl finish. i would suspect the ones you have seen have been described wrong, the metalic grey is Iron Grey

I was torn between Island Grey and the White i ordered.

I have now seen a few so far and i must admit i saw a Mocca se the other day and it looked spot on.

5 more get ups................

Spanky5317
16-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for clarifying this for me - thought something was not right with the advert.

I saw a black se today with the optional 17" wheels (black inserts) - I think the colour envy has started already!!

I can't wait - only two weeks now!

cameraman
17-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm in the process of ordering a new company car, last time the emissions were capped at 160g/km this time it's 120.

The last 3 cars I've had have had 150bhp engines (1 petrol 2 diesel), one of the diesels a Vectra 1.9cdti was fitted with a tuning box giving 193bhp, I'm currently driving a 2.2 d4d Avensis T4 which has a very high spec (£4000 of extras compared to the Passat SE) & was was good value to lease. The Avensis has also been 100% reliable over the 2 years 70,000 miles I've had it.

I'm looking at the Passat (I've looked at the 1.6tdi Octavia & the sportline Golf estates, neither which fit the bill, even though I could have loaded them with all the extras, leather, xenons etc), I've driven the old shape 2.0tdi Passat but the cost of the lease means I could either have a standard spec 2.0tdi SE bluemotion or a 1.6 with the 510 touch screen stereo & blacked out rear windows in candy white. I just don't know if a 1.6tdi has enough go for the car that size.:confused:

The Fingers
18-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm in the process of ordering a new company car, last time the emissions were capped at 160g/km this time it's 120.

The last 3 cars I've had have had 150bhp engines (1 petrol 2 diesel), one of the diesels a Vectra 1.9cdti was fitted with a tuning box giving 193bhp, I'm currently driving a 2.2 d4d Avensis T4 which has a very high spec (£4000 of extras compared to the Passat SE) & was was good value to lease. The Avensis has also been 100% reliable over the 2 years 70,000 miles I've had it.

I'm looking at the Passat (I've looked at the 1.6tdi Octavia & the sportline Golf estates, neither which fit the bill, even though I could have loaded them with all the extras, leather, xenons etc), I've driven the old shape 2.0tdi Passat but the cost of the lease means I could either have a standard spec 2.0tdi SE bluemotion or a 1.6 with the 510 touch screen stereo & blacked out rear windows in candy white. I just don't know if a 1.6tdi has enough go for the car that size.:confused:

I went for the 2.0TDI SE (manual) Candy White at 119g/km as the 1.6 is only 5g less so the tax difference is not that great. Coming out of a 2.0 tdi SE DSG B6 with 172g/km the tax saving is massive!!!

I would say the 1.6 tdi will be pretty much like the old 1.9 (105) unit but you will need to wind it up a lot to get the best out of it. The passat is a pretty heavy car and i wonder how long these 1.6's are going to hold up to dragging all that weight about.

out of the two i would go 2.0 tdi se and then tint the windows yourself £100 (rip it out at end of lease, or leave it they dont care if its done right) and upgrade the radio and then re sell the 510 when you are done

Three more get ups................:D

cameraman
18-03-2011, 07:30 PM
That sounds like a plan, I've ordered a 48hour test drive of the 1.6 so I'll see then how it compares to my 2.2D Avensis before I make a decision, but white is the new black imho especially on large cars

walker77
30-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone

I am hopefully taking delivery of my new passat B7 on the 31st March :D. I have ordered the 1.6tdi se saloon in Island Grey Pearl. I have not seen this in the flesh yet, but opted for this over Urano Grey.

Whilst in my local dealer recently I noticed a number of B6 saloons in Island Grey Metallic - is this the same as the Pearlescent I have opted for - or is the metallic a different finish???

I look forward to your comments.

Many thanks

JC

Is your delivery still on for tomorrow?

I'm still in 'negotiations' with my company over what the lease can get me - but hope to get it resolved this week.

Would be keen to see any photos of the Island Grey. I can't decide between that and Deep Black at the moment.

Cheers,
Scott

Spanky5317
31-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Hi Scott,

It's arrived and I am really happy that I went for the Island Grey over the black :D It looks great against the chrome as it is still a fairly dark colour, I imagine it will fend off the dreaded swirls that are usually very apparent on black vehicles. I will try and post some pics soon!

Good luck with the negotiations!

Regards

JC

logiclee
01-04-2011, 03:54 PM

Get the 2.0SE.

Once you have the car get the RCD 510 off ebay for £300 and get your windows tinted for £150.

When you hand the car back you can remove both.

Cheers
Lee

logiclee
01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
, but white is the new black imho especially on large cars

We are still waiting for the Candy White B7 owners to get their finger out (and camera) so here's my 8 month old B6 to give you some idea.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/logiclee/tints5.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/logiclee/tints10.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/logiclee/tints4.jpg

Cheers
Lee