PDA

View Full Version : Please Help EML after remap..

burkey1
14-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Folks,

I just had a 45bhp remap done today to bring A4 (below) from 150 to 195bhp.

I am happy with the power gain but from time to time the EML starts to flash when I floor it. The car will also labour when this happens. Eventually the EML stays on.

Scan results
2 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0302 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
Now, there was zero issue before remap and all 4 coil packs have being changed. Oldest with abt 30k and all at rev R.
The plugs are abt 25k old but are long life ones (not Audi OEM).

Due to the fact I can only feel this when the car is floored, I am inclined to think its not a coil, otherwise I would have expected this to be totally failed.

Could it be the plugs or just plug 2? Or maybe something totally different.

There is no problem to revert back to old program but I am not going to panic and would like to fix this.

Really would appreciate input on this one..

Thanks..

ckrisrok
14-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Can you not just go back to where you had the re map done. ??

burkey1
14-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Can you not just go back to where you had the re map done. ??

All they will do it take it back out. There looking at the file again tomorrow, its just (I could be wrong) but Im not sure its a remap issue

burkey1
14-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Just swapped coil 1 with 2 there

got the following results

2 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0301 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
Sure now it 99.9% the coil. The only thing is the resistance reading on the 2 coils were identical at 390ohms and I happen to know that this is what the were when i put them in from new.

Im just wondering as engine runs perfect when normal is a resistance check on the coil useless if the issue is very slight. Must only be able to detect a dead one using this method.

Anyway, If anyone has any other suggestions before I order yet another coil for this car in the morning, ild be glad to hear it....

STEWY L
14-03-2011, 11:31 PM
standard car,with standard ecu will have "tolerances"or limits,if you like, set as "standard" as it leaves the factory.
alter the ecu by remapping, and the tolerances should be altered to suit,as the unit is going to be reading higher,or lower readings than before.
perhaps the ecu is reading the re mapped figures, but reacting to standard tolerances, if these have not been altered too?
just my two penny worth,
regards,
stewy.

burkey1
14-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Hi Stewy L,

Thanks for the reply.

I will definitely mention what you have said to the remap guy as it sounds quite plausible what you are saying.

I’m fairly certain it is the coil after swapping them but what you said and the resistance reading I got, has put slight doubt in my mind

paul20v
15-03-2011, 01:04 AM
looking at what you have posted the coil would be my first port of call
i would also change the plugs
i know there long life plugs but from experience im not a fan
they may not wear the electrodes so much but they can still break down
25k is a long time for a plug they work hard and are often taken for granted
also a bad plug will ruin a coil pack as the coil has to work extra hard to supply the spark at the electrode
just my 2p worth
Paul

burkey1
15-03-2011, 11:07 AM
looking at what you have posted the coil would be my first port of call
i would also change the plugs
i know there long life plugs but from experience im not a fan
they may not wear the electrodes so much but they can still break down
25k is a long time for a plug they work hard and are often taken for granted
also a bad plug will ruin a coil pack as the coil has to work extra hard to supply the spark at the electrode
just my 2p worth
Paul

Thanks also for your input, I am planning to change the plugs once I get the issue sorted for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

With the remap they will no doubt be working even harder. Coil ordered today so fingers crossed.

burkey1
15-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Also, can anyone in the trade tell me the latest revision number on these coils.

I thought they were rev "R". R being the last letter on the part number, but was told today they are now at "D"

Have these coils gone full circle with the revision numbers or are they a different part even?

Thanks

burkey1
15-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Yip coil was issue.... Sick of it now, with Audi's effin s@#te (s@#te) coils!!!

All I can say is thank god for VAG COM. What a great tool....

burkey1
16-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Can anyone tell me are the NGK BKR6EQUP spark plugs are correct for a 1.8T AVJ. They are a 3 pronged plug.

I have being running with these for the last 25k+ but when i checked out the correct plug is appears the NGK PFR6Q single pronged plug is correct.:(

Some more digging and it appears the plug I am currently using is for a BMW!!!

Does it make a difference? am i correct?

cheers

paul20v
16-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Both plugs have the same heat range
this is determined by the number 6
but if your meant to be running a specific model then you should be
the variations in numbers also donate different air gaps at the electrode
as well as the obvious electrode differences and thread sizes etc
it would seem plug manufacturers think we are incapable of gaping a plug these days
oh and the coil issues are not just VAG im afraid
all coils in heads and bolted to heads can be an issue due to the heat produced by the engine
its one of the worst possible places to put any electrical components
glad its all sorted thou

Paul

burkey1
16-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Cheers Paul,

Yes it appears the 6 heat range is correct for my engine type with some saying the 7 (colder type) should be used for remaped engines. I went with the OEM in the end as they are also the NGK PFR6Q.

Main difference in both BKR6EQUP and PFR6Q is the life span apparently. PFR6Q being the longlife (platinum) and there twice the price!!

I not sure about the coil in heads issue being all car related. Ive being around a lot of cars myself and have never witnessed anything to this extent. Ive done more coils at this stage then oil changes.

Disgraceful they cant get it right. My car is pushing 9 years old now, how long do they need!!!

paul20v
16-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I not sure about the coil in heads issue being all car related. Ive being around a lot of cars myself and have never witnessed anything to this extent.
ive got to agree it is a disgrace
as for other marques and coils you obviously dont work on much french stuff :(
renault especially sell there coils in packs of 4 there that unreliable
and there more exspensive than the VAG ones
fords and vauxhall as well drop out coil packs a fair bit
the vauxhall ones are one big pack and very expensive
i must admit as i said before a lot of it is people ignoring plugs too much
cheers
Paul

flapper
16-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I had the same issue on a 20vt engine, the misifre & EML only happened between 5-6000 RPM which I thought was strange.

Turned out it was coils aswell.

Glad you got it sorted

perky85
16-03-2011, 07:47 PM
BMW also have alot of coil issues.

BREMI are the manufacturers that seem to have problems as they supply current BMW & VAG.

Early Bremi didn't have such problems.