PDA

View Full Version : Multitronic - Reversing when cold

ymisyd
14-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Hello,

A quick question for all multitronic owners out there.

Does your car feel odd when reversing from cold. When I try and reverse out of the drive (level ground) from cold, the engine revs like I'm slipping the clutch in a manual. It feels as though the car is really reluctant to move.

It can be a bit embarrassing too when somebody (eventually) stops to let me out. They're sat there waiting, I've got my foot pressed to the floor, and the car creeps out like it's pulling a bloody great big bag of sand along the ground.

Is this normal or should I be concerned? It only does it from cold and also, when I try to put my foot down sharpish from cold, the car lurches and judders forward.

p.s. my friends at Audi Coulsdon say it's quite common and nothing to worry about

iwaters
14-03-2011, 12:17 PM
My multi doesn't do that.

Ardy
14-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Never experienced anything like that even through the depths of winter.

drpellypo
14-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Mine does it. Has got progressively worse as it started where I just had to leave car running for a min or so to counteract the problem but now it doesn't make any difference. My local inde has told me it's the valve case (mine is also juddering on deceleration which is what made them sure of this.) £1,000 for the part alone. There's no way I could even afford half of that so I'm just going to have to live with it and hope the weather warms up!

drpellypo
14-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Oh, forgot to mention that a double flush of the oil might help. I am saving up to have this done in hope it might lessen the problem. The previous owner of my car changed the ATF but didn't flush, so doing this might help a little.

Zafi
15-03-2011, 12:56 AM
I always reverse park.

Far safer.... regardless of transmission ;)

vwawudi
15-03-2011, 01:22 PM
I think the multi is generally less self-assured in reverse. Hesitates and revs higher than Drive etc. Not sure if it's designed to do so...

Hippogriff
15-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Mine doesn't do that.

vwawudi
15-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Mine doesn't do that.

Not even a pause? I've always thought the pause was normal after you engage reverse.

Hippogriff
15-03-2011, 10:39 PM
What I meant, really, was that mine doesn't do what the OP is describing, i.e. the activity in reverse that you might expect of an asthmatic snail dragging a dead squirrel around. Pause? Maybe, but I've not noticed anything I'd class as untoward, cold or hot.

J_B204
15-03-2011, 11:05 PM
I now have an image of a snail with an inhaler desperately trying to get the squirrel somewhere safe.... not adding a bit to the conversation but what use would a snail have for a dead squirrel?

Great analogy :biglaugh:

Hippogriff
15-03-2011, 11:08 PM
...what use would a snail have for a dead squirrel

I thought we all knew that snails hunted squirrels, for sport? They can't stop themselves. Are you possibly new to the country?

J_B204
15-03-2011, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=Hippogriff;626055]I thought we all knew that snails hunted squirrels, for sport? They can't stop themselves. Are you possibly new to the country?[QUOTE]

Amazing, learn something new everyday, that's why I love this forum! My mum never warned me about squirrel hunting snails - I shall share this with my kids, might even get them to draw a couple of pictures to help us identify the pesky molluscs! . Bet German squirrels aren't hunted by German snails - they prob wouldn't be able to find them if they were using German (Audi) satnav (yes just read that post too and entirely agree!):biglaugh:

pitch3110
17-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Chaps,

I will post a full run down on mine over the odd issue and trips to the dealer I have had.

Up shot is.........a new gearbox is being fitted tomorrow!!!!!!!

I will start a thread once all is confirmed.

Ta
Pitch

golfgt140
17-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Chaps,

I will post a full run down on mine over the odd issue and trips to the dealer I have had.

Up shot is.........a new gearbox is being fitted tomorrow!!!!!!!

I will start a thread once all is confirmed.

Ta
Pitch

Wow, that's interesting & a bit worring!

Looking forward to hearing about it.

I have never had an issue with reverse, but have had a strange thing haPpen in "first" gear.

It has only happened twice in a year- when pulling away in what would be first gear in a manual, the gear box didn't change up. It held the same ratio and the car was revving very high and going nowhere fast. I stopped, fiddled with the gear lever, drive to sport and back again etc and all was fine!

Will have to mention to dealer at next service. Hoping it's not an issue as has only happened twice.

pitch3110
21-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Wow, that's interesting & a bit worring!

Looking forward to hearing about it.

I have never had an issue with reverse, but have had a strange thing haPpen in "first" gear.

It has only happened twice in a year- when pulling away in what would be first gear in a manual, the gear box didn't change up. It held the same ratio and the car was revving very high and going nowhere fast. I stopped, fiddled with the gear lever, drive to sport and back again etc and all was fine!

Will have to mention to dealer at next service. Hoping it's not an issue as has only happened twice.

Will explain when I get my car back....if I can remember what colour it is and what it looks like and if I can find it in their car park.

Pitch

Sportwag
22-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Will explain when I get my car back....if I can remember what colour it is and what it looks like and if I can find it in their car park.

Pitch

Sorry to hear this Pitch - did they loan you anything interesting in the meantime?

pitch3110
22-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Manual SE TDI, not to great.
New box not here until Friday now so swapping for something else tomorrow as I need phone prep.

Trust all is well with you matey.

Pitch

Sportwag
24-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Manual SE TDI, not to great.
New box not here until Friday now so swapping for something else tomorrow as I need phone prep.

Trust all is well with you matey.

Pitch

HHHmm hope the "with phone prep" is something a bit more exciting!!

Hope they get it sorted for you soon Pitch - all is well thanks!

pitch3110
24-03-2011, 09:09 PM
It's home!!!!!!!!!¡@

When I am at the PC next I will update.
Nice folk fitted me an iPhone4 cradle as a sorry for the probs. Bless

Pitch

Bozman1878
10-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Hello,

A quick question for all multitronic owners out there.

Does your car feel odd when reversing from cold. When I try and reverse out of the drive (level ground) from cold, the engine revs like I'm slipping the clutch in a manual. It feels as though the car is really reluctant to move.

It can be a bit embarrassing too when somebody (eventually) stops to let me out. They're sat there waiting, I've got my foot pressed to the floor, and the car creeps out like it's pulling a bloody great big bag of sand along the ground.

Is this normal or should I be concerned? It only does it from cold and also, when I try to put my foot down sharpish from cold, the car lurches and judders forward.

p.s. my friends at Audi Coulsdon say it's quite common and nothing to worry about

Hi there,

I am new to the forum but found this having done a search for a similar problem. I have a 57 plate A5 3.2 multitronic. I bought it 2 months ago and am suffering the exact same problem. It is at the Audi dealership as i type this and they have called to say they couldn't find anything on the diagnostic test. I would love to hear what the final outcome was for you or if anyone else has suffered similar problems and has got to the bottom of the cause. The 3 month warranty i got when i bought it expires soon so i am keen to get to the bottom of this before that elapses!

Thanks for your help in advance.

drpellypo
09-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Old thread revival here, but just for people's information, this problem doesn't happen on mine any more since I replaced the Air Mass Meter. Also, before that, I changed the air filter and it reduced almost completely the juddering. Air filter was changed well under service interval but was really gummed up. Can only assume living on a dusty country road caused it.

converse420
09-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Mine can be damned scary when reversing (especially if up an incline) as the car does not creep, and when the throttle is feathered the car takes of like a shot!