PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre foglight behaviour

MacHighlander
13-03-2011, 11:16 PM
I purchased an 8 month old Golf Match last Friday which I'm loving, although with it being the weekend, I've hardly driven it (can't wait until the commute to work tomorrow ;) )

So I headed out with the kids and the wife on Saturday afternoon - I drove the Ford S-Max and I let the wife get a shot of the Golf in the daylight, so she could get used to it (although it's my baby).

Driving back from the mother-in-laws I passed the Golf and noticed the strangest behaviour from the fog lights. It was around 6.30pm so it was dark and the dipped headlights were on and the fog lights were switched off. Anytime an indicator went on, the fog light on that side lit up as well. The fog light didn't blink - it just stayed solid. So the fog light lit would change depending on whether the left indicator or right indicator was selected (both fogs never lit).

As I say, I have a Match and the fog lights don't come as standard. So they've either been fitted when bought as new, or retro-fitted after. They are genuine VW fogs. I actually purchased the service manager's car from my local VW (company car), so it wasn't owned by a member of the public.

Either way, if the job was done at build time or if the job was done in my local VW garage, it's been botched. It's obviously been wired up wrongly.

I know the answer to this one before I ask it, but thought I'd ask it anyway. Is this intentional behaviour? Some sort of new safety feature?

Guest 2
13-03-2011, 11:20 PM
It's normal, seen a few VAG cars with this feature. I think it's to give you more visability when you're turning left or right. Totally normal and nothing to worry about :)

On the loan A8 I had, the fogs were activated on turning the steering wheel and the appropriate one would illuminate when the headlamps were on.

kenney
13-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Yes this is a new safety issue,and is working correctly;)

MacHighlander
13-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I stupidly posted this without having searched and have found another couple of threads outlining the same behaviour.

As you say, it's quite normal and is classed as a safety features.

Berisford
13-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Should /will only be activated at speeds below 25mph though!

kenney
13-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Should /will only be activated at speeds below 25mph though!Lights on,speed less than 40km/,steering or indicator turned to the one side

MacHighlander
13-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I tested it with the car stationary in the driveway using the indicators and the fog lights came on.

I didn't realise that they also came on when turning the wheel as well.

Keithuk
14-03-2011, 01:40 AM
As its been said its normal but I've never checked if mine do that. If you don't like them you can turn them off with VCDS or get the dealer to do it. If I find mine on then I'm turning them off.

AxeMurderer
14-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Yours will be doing it Keith. All Mk VIs do it (if they have fog lights).

Rorry
14-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I stupidly posted this without having searched and have found another couple of threads outlining the same behaviour.

I wonder how many VW customers have ranted at their dealer about this!

Mercedes cars with Xenon lights have done this for years but cornering lamps still seem a rare feature in the UK. I was in Germany a couple of months ago and it seemed like half the cars there had them.

MacHighlander
14-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Well, that's exactly what I was about to do this morning (not rant though - just query!).

Of course, if I had been talked through this feature when I had bought the car....

I wonder how many VW customers have ranted at their dealer about this!

Mercedes cars with Xenon lights have done this for years but cornering lamps still seem a rare feature in the UK. I was in Germany a couple of months ago and it seemed like half the cars there had them.

Hughesynights
15-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Cornering fog lights rock.
Excellent feature!

JON76
15-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Bizarre foglight behaviour? I see lots of that near where I live. Usually involving youths in Saxos and Corsas!

Keithuk
17-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Well I've tried to get mine to show but they won't, maybe its because my DRLs are off?

AxeMurderer
17-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Well I've tried to get mine to show but they won't, maybe its because my DRLs are off?

Don't think so. My DRLs are off but the cornering lights still come on. Unless you nobbled them with VCDS rather than the stalk?

(Curiously, the DRLs off is key-specific so they are on for my wife('s key) and off for me).

hartry
17-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Yours will be doing it Keith. All Mk VIs do it (if they have fog lights).

Not true. GTIs and GTDs don't.

Keithuk
17-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Not true. GTIs and GTDs don't.
Cheers.

hartry
17-03-2011, 11:37 PM
As I've posted on here before, GTI/Ds are just designed to go around corners too quick for the cornering lgiht to be of any use, so the boys in Wolfsburg omitted them.