PDA

View Full Version : overheating 1.8 turbo

big-ste90
13-03-2011, 08:17 PM
hi guys, wondered if you could offer any advice. My audi A3 1.8 turbo has been overheating recently and also the first fan has not been working but when the car car gets to 105'c both fans kick in, ive changed the thermostat and the radiator fan switch, ive also changed the coolent, im waiting for a new temperature control sensor.

just wonded if anybody could offer any advice.

Cheers.

Crasher
13-03-2011, 08:55 PM
More than likely the water pump impeller has failed, it is a common problem.

big-ste90
14-03-2011, 07:02 PM
More than likely the water pump impeller has failed, it is a common problem.

Thanks for the quick reply. im putting my hands up, im kind of a novice, i only know little bits and bobs. Is the 'impeller' part of the water pump, in which case replace the pump, or is it something on its own.

Cheers.

Sly
14-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Yeah, replace the whole pump, if it's the old type with a plastic impeller, and you won't know until you take it out, you'll more than likely find half of it missing, the replacement will be metal. Depending on your mileage or when you last had it changed, it will be well worth changing your cam belt and tensioner too as they come off to access the water pump anyway. You should be able to get all the bits yourself for about £180 but only a DIY job if your confident/competent as if you fit the belt wrong, even by one tooth, it can be catastrophic!

Before all that though, you may be able to check if there is little or no coolant flow to confirm the pump is knacked, when the engine is hot there should be a flow of coolant from the little pipe on top of the expansion vessel. Also if the flow is poor you may find your heater is rubbish.

Good luck!

Crasher
14-03-2011, 11:20 PM
The impeller is on the back of the pump, it means a new pump which also means pulling the timing belt off.

big-ste90
20-03-2011, 12:58 PM
cheers for the advice, ive been to a local garage and they have quoted me £300 for parts and labour, and they are also going to replace a pipe that is leaking.

Hopefully will be all good after.

Cheers.