PDA

View Full Version : Living with the 7

s1dnk
12-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Well I've just spent the last 3 weeks living with my 2007 Q7 after trading in my old RS6. I bought the 7 after only driving approx 10 miles on a test drive, maybe just as well because if I drove it more I might of changed my mind.

The car was delivered while I was away working so I had to wait almost 2 weeks knowing it was waiting for me to come home to. After what seemed like a life sentence I finally got to jump in and take her out for a proper drive. There was no time for reading manuals or checking things over, it was straight in and away I went. It was then that the disappointment started.

To begin with there was the tiniest spec of blue paint on the black leather seat, blatently obvious to me but amazingly nobody else who had been in the car before I got home had seen it. Anyway that was eventually cleaned. The second, and more annoying, thing was a suspension fault light up on the dash. Again the girlfriend knew nothing of this, she had driven the car once just after it arrived and she swears the light was not on.

So it was not a good start and the disappointment didn't stop there. I bought the 4.2TDI as I thought althought it's not going to come close to the performance of the RS6 it might be a worthy replacement. I am not a fast driver but I do like having a bit of power and speed just in case it's required especially for overtaking. The Q7 felt incredibly slow, I just could not get used to it. Also I was getting so frustrated with the delay in power when taking slow corners or coming out of junctions.

I then had it into town for the first time and it was a stressful experience to say the least. Driving about town was bad enough but the multi-story car park almost tipped me over the edge. At this point I really did feel like I had made one massive and costly mistake.

Over the next few days I played about with the MMI a little more, learned how most things worked and slowly became happier with the car. It doesn't have much more tech than the RS6 but what it does have is a lot newer and better to use although the plastics do feel cheaper in the 7. I also had the car back in the garage to get the suspension fault fixed, turned out it was a sensor on the passenger side front which had water ingress causing a short. While the car was getting repaired I was given a Saab 9-3 turbo, what an awful car! It was that bad it helped me appreciate how good the 7 is.

As the days went on I used it more and more and it started to grow on me. My driving style started changing, I was driving most places below the speed limit and enjoying the journey. The level of comfort really started to grow on me and overcame my need for speed. I also seemed to learn how to drive the car by getting used to what I first off thought was a delay in power when taking slow corners but it seems to just be that it was different to what I was used to. Day to day driving no longer became a chore but a pleasure.

As my 3 weeks at home came to an end I was feeling completely converted to a new way of driving, a way where you don't mind being stuck in a queue of cars or fell like you have to dodge every little bump on the road. I realised I made the right call getting rid of the RS6 and buying a beast like the Q7.

The RS6 will possibly always be the best car I'll ever own for the few times I actually drove the car the way it was designed to be driven but as an ever day car the Q7 is in so many ways better.

I got off to a bad start with the 7 and I am in no doubt it effected my judgement of the car but even after just 3 weeks I can appreciate what this car is all about. No doubt along the line a few hefty bills might test my feelings for this car but for now I am more than happy with my purchase and look forward to more stress free driving.

The RS6 is dead, long live the Q7.

pld118
12-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Well I've just spent the last 3 weeks living with my 2007 Q7 after trading in my old RS6. I bought the 7 after only driving approx 10 miles on a test drive, maybe just as well because if I drove it more I might of changed my mind.

The car was delivered while I was away working so I had to wait almost 2 weeks knowing it was waiting for me to come home to. After what seemed like a life sentence I finally got to jump in and take her out for a proper drive. There was no time for reading manuals or checking things over, it was straight in and away I went. It was then that the disappointment started.

To begin with there was the tiniest spec of blue paint on the black leather seat, blatently obvious to me but amazingly nobody else who had been in the car before I got home had seen it. Anyway that was eventually cleaned. The second, and more annoying, thing was a suspension fault light up on the dash. Again the girlfriend knew nothing of this, she had driven the car once just after it arrived and she swears the light was not on.

So it was not a good start and the disappointment didn't stop there. I bought the 4.2TDI as I thought althought it's not going to come close to the performance of the RS6 it might be a worthy replacement. I am not a fast driver but I do like having a bit of power and speed just in case it's required especially for overtaking. The Q7 felt incredibly slow, I just could not get used to it. Also I was getting so frustrated with the delay in power when taking slow corners or coming out of junctions.

I then had it into town for the first time and it was a stressful experience to say the least. Driving about town was bad enough but the multi-story car park almost tipped me over the edge. At this point I really did feel like I had made one massive and costly mistake.

Over the next few days I played about with the MMI a little more, learned how most things worked and slowly became happier with the car. It doesn't have much more tech than the RS6 but what it does have is a lot newer and better to use although the plastics do feel cheaper in the 7. I also had the car back in the garage to get the suspension fault fixed, turned out it was a sensor on the passenger side front which had water ingress causing a short. While the car was getting repaired I was given a Saab 9-3 turbo, what an awful car! It was that bad it helped me appreciate how good the 7 is.

As the days went on I used it more and more and it started to grow on me. My driving style started changing, I was driving most places below the speed limit and enjoying the journey. The level of comfort really started to grow on me and overcame my need for speed. I also seemed to learn how to drive the car by getting used to what I first off thought was a delay in power when taking slow corners but it seems to just be that it was different to what I was used to. Day to day driving no longer became a chore but a pleasure.

As my 3 weeks at home came to an end I was feeling completely converted to a new way of driving, a way where you don't mind being stuck in a queue of cars or fell like you have to dodge every little bump on the road. I realised I made the right call getting rid of the RS6 and buying a beast like the Q7.

The RS6 will possibly always be the best car I'll ever own for the few times I actually drove the car the way it was designed to be driven but as an ever day car the Q7 is in so many ways better.

I got off to a bad start with the 7 and I am in no doubt it effected my judgement of the car but even after just 3 weeks I can appreciate what this car is all about. No doubt along the line a few hefty bills might test my feelings for this car but for now I am more than happy with my purchase and look forward to more stress free driving.

The RS6 is dead, long live the Q7.

A really good review. They are not perfect but they are good cars.

The main difficulty that most people will doubtless find is the bulk of the car around town/ parking. I sometimes feel that it's like trying to turn a cruiseliner on a sixpence when turning tight corners.

If the Q7 is in a nice spec and well looked after, it always looks the part and it is a quality prestige car.

You are right to expect some painful running costs and maintenance bills.

Anybody whose car does not have an extended warranty, I would make sure I got a good one. They are expensive to have but on balance, for me anyway, it has more than paid for itself.

And then there is the cost of driver error in such a big beastie... my 'Fender Bent' post is testament to that. That little faux pas will be costing £365 to remedy!

I hope that it's a good car for you. :beerchug:

wsamuel
27-03-2011, 07:38 PM
I think you make a good point about driving style. I have the same model as you and I now drive in a much more relaxed manner. However it is a massive vehicle and that creates issues in everyday driving situations like parking. This restricts my use of the car around town. It comes into it's own on long trips when it is unsurpassed in my opinion. One other thing to consider is getting the car remapped. I have had mine chipped (376bhp) and if you are so inclined the car will fly. I have had a trip out with my mate in a Porsche Boxster and in a straight line unto the speed limit they are neck and neck. Corners are a different matter though!!!

richardsh
27-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Where did you get yours chipped?

wsamuel
28-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Superchips. They read the particular chip and then remap.

richardsh
29-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Are you pleased with the results and does it affect your warranty?

s1dnk
01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm really temped to get mine chipped. There's a Superchips centre nearby so might give them a call. I'm guessing it costs around £400, is that about right? I've not heard of anybody having problems due to having their 7 chipped, anybody heard any different? I know some bleat on about the added stress to the drive train but are there any instances of this happening with a 7?

Sportingmac
15-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Had mine chipped for several years now - quite a different driving experience altogether - recommended upgrade. I used Superchips but have just done my motorhome through Celtic Tuning - superb job - would consider them as an alternative to Superchips - worth looking at.