PDA

View Full Version : battery problems ???

andy757
11-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Audi Coupe 16v, 2 litre year 1995.

Every now and then, the car struggles to start. The volt meter shows plenty of juice but when the ignition key is turned, all I get is a clicking sound and the engine struggling to turn. After a while, few minutes, the engine starts but all the time leading up to actual start, there is this clicking noise.

Any ideas ??

Also, the carpet behind the drivers seat is soaking wet and with obvious signs of water entry, does anyone know of any problem areas I should check. The carpet is like a small pond !!

burkey1
11-03-2011, 03:27 PM
On the newer audis whats known as the plenum chamber fills up with water due to a blocked rubber drain. This is located at the back of the enging bay under the battery. Removal of the battery in necessary to unblock. I dont know your engine bay layout but this might be your water issue.

On the starting issue. The clicking noise is the solenoid on the starter engaging/disengaging. Could be faulty but is more likely to be not enough current in the battery to drive it.

Try a new battery or start your car with a GOOD set of jump leads. If it now fires then replace

andy757
11-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. The battery on mine (1995 model) is at the front of the engine compartment so unlikely to be the cause of the water behind the driver seat (I assume).

When I jump start the car with leads, it goes ok. So that being the case, are you saying to replace the solenoid ?

Forgive my ignorance, where is it located and can a run of the mill bloke like me do it ??

burkey1
11-03-2011, 04:31 PM
[b][i]
thanks for the reply. The battery on mine (1995 model) is at the front of the engine compartment so unlikely to be the cause of the water behind the driver seat (i assume).no , im not saying the battery is causing the water issue. What i am saying is the water issue could be caused by a blocked drain in the plenum chamber at the back of the engine bay. On the newer models this blocked rubber drain plug is under the battery. Lift the bonnet and have a look around the chamber area below your front windscreen. Look for water build up/puddles in this area. It should be dry. If there is water build up then you need to fing the drain plug and unblock it.

when i jump start the car with leads, it goes ok. So that being the case, are you saying to replace the solenoid ?

no, it appears you have a faulty battery

forgive my ignorance, where is it located and can a run of the mill bloke like me do it ??.

andy757
11-03-2011, 04:39 PM
ok with you now. Faulty battery and a blocked drain plug maybe.

Good advice, thanks

fourringsrus
11-03-2011, 09:55 PM
At the botton edge of your windscreen there is a plastic panel/cover which covers your cabin filter ( n/s ) which sits directly above your heater motor.
What I had was the rubber seal at the bottom of the screen was perished/damaged and allowed water to go through the cabin filter ,through the fan motor, along the heater duct
and onto the floor of the car. Worth inspecting the condition of the screen seal as it could be your issue.
Starting problem certainly points at a weak battery as mentioned above

micheal balbrig
12-03-2011, 12:00 AM
ok with you now. Faulty battery and a blocked drain plug maybe.

Good advice, thanks

There is also a drain to the side of the fuse box. Water can exit through a channel to inner wing. This can block up with leaves, try poking it clear with
something flexible, there is also one on n/s as far as I remember.

andy757
13-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys. One curious thing though. Water is only sitting in the rear footwell behind the driver seat. All other carpets are bone dry. Surely if water was coming in through the front, then the front carpets would be wet.

I'm starting to wonder if moisture and/or rain is getting in through the rear o/s window. Broken or perished seal maybe but there are no signs of this.

The way to soak it up I guess is to use a sponge, then somehow dry out the carpet and see how soon it happens again :aargh4:

micheal balbrig
13-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys. One curious thing though. Water is only sitting in the rear footwell behind the driver seat. All other carpets are bone dry. Surely if water was coming in through the front, then the front carpets would be wet.

I'm starting to wonder if moisture and/or rain is getting in through the rear o/s window. Broken or perished seal maybe but there are no signs of this.

The way to soak it up I guess is to use a sponge, then somehow dry out the carpet and see how soon it happens again :aargh4:

If the floor level in the rear is lower, then it is possible the water is pooling here although it may be flowing from the front area. There is a good thickness of sound deadening material under carpet so water could travel underneath, as well as soaking the material, this may only be evident by lifting front carpet.

fourringsrus
15-03-2011, 09:56 PM
The water travels through the ducting and exits via the vent under your front seat and thus into the rear footwell.
Of course you may have poorly rear door seals