PDA

View Full Version : droaning noise

markaudia419tdi
10-03-2011, 11:35 PM
i have a droaning noise sounding from the front iv had both wheel bearings replaced on the drivers side and the droaning still persists and sounded like it was coming from the gearbox like the diff bearings .

iv now had a replacement gearbox fitted and the droaning has still carried on my mechanic has tried yet another wheel bearing on the front drivers side and a cv boot to see if that solves the problem it still droans

it droaning sounds worse when you turn to the right when the weight of the car is shiting to the right hand side

does any 1 have any ideas ????
or has anyone had this problem

hibbsy21
11-03-2011, 12:33 AM
shiting to the right hand side

:yikes:

Anyway, have you check the rear bearings yet?

Also, does the pitch or tone change when you change gear/dip the clutch?

EDIT: and it sounds like its on the left side, as turning right would make the weight shift to the left.

Sidewaystrev
11-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Whats the tyre situation? If they are out of shape (run your hand over the tread to feel if it is smooth) they can make a noise, also very cheap tyres can make noise, try swapping them front to back.

hibbsy21
11-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Check the brakes too, as a warped disc could have the same effect. Does the noise stop when you brake. (should of asked this the first time round lol)

markaudia419tdi
11-03-2011, 09:40 AM
sorry its when you turn the wheels left to go round a left bend

we have changed both the wheel bearings front/rear on the drivers side

the pitch or tone doesnt chance with gear/dip the clutch

thanks for your input

markaudia419tdi
11-03-2011, 09:42 AM
all tyres and brakes are fine we also tried that lol
this has puzzled me cant get my hand round it

hibbsy21
11-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Wow thats puzzling. Only thing i can think of now is the tracking is out, or some of the front suspension links are worn. Or the driveshaft has a slight vibration.
Can you feel any vibration through the pedals?

hibbsy21
11-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Wow thats puzzling. Only thing i can think of now is the tracking is out, or some of the front suspension links are worn. Or the driveshaft has a slight vibration.
Can you feel any vibration through the pedals?

markaudia419tdi
11-03-2011, 02:31 PM
the tracking cant be out because it stays strait wen u let the steering go and im sure the drive shaft would been looked at when my mechanic changed the box

stew2
15-03-2011, 07:46 PM
i have a droaning noise sounding from the front iv had both wheel bearings replaced on the drivers side and the droaning still persists and sounded like it was coming from the gearbox like the diff bearings .

iv now had a replacement gearbox fitted and the droaning has still carried on my mechanic has tried yet another wheel bearing on the front drivers side and a cv boot to see if that solves the problem it still droans

it droaning sounds worse when you turn to the right when the weight of the car is shiting to the right hand side

does any 1 have any ideas ????
or has anyone had this problem
i have the same problem, the car has just passed its mot and the changed a track rod end but noise is still there im guessing a bearing on mine goes in next week so will let you know if it goes,

fourringsrus
15-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Mileage ,...... are you c/v joints wearing and I mean inner aswell as outer joints

stew2
15-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Mileage ,...... are you c/v joints wearing and I mean inner aswell as outer joints
my1998 A4 has done 60,000 genuine miles

fourringsrus
15-03-2011, 11:04 PM
What about the op