PDA

View Full Version : gearbox noise

lcbandit
10-03-2011, 02:40 PM
hi all

hope you can help, having recently purchased an audi 3.2 quattro sport on a 53 plate but a 2004 model I believe, the car has just over 60k on it and was a police seizure, it had been stood for a good 12 months before we bought it, anyway the clutch went, this has just cost me a hefty bill and £1500 to replace the clutch, mass flywheel etc, but now the garage are saying the car is making a 'noise' in 3rd gear, doesnt do it all the time apparently. There wasnt anything wrong with it before the clutch went so was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and could maybe shed some light onto what it could be, they have also had to change the gearbox oil as they said it was as black as any thing and crappy!! so thats cost an exgtra £80!!

the car was towed by the rac at below the recommended speed of 30 mph and only for 5 or 6 miles so I'm hoping that the towing hasnt caused the problem!!

thanks

mandy

s3david
30-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi

My box on my 07 S3 has just died at 60k! The noise was worse at about 2200rpm in 3rd gear, a kind of rumble. Just had it rebuilt with Sachs clutch and DMF for £2000.
Sorry but it might be another bill!

s3david
30-03-2011, 10:40 PM
They also say that when you replace any bit of the drive-train on a car, the next weakest part will break.