PDA

View Full Version : Question AMI compatibility with ipod nano 6th gen

HotChip
10-03-2011, 09:32 AM
I've just bought an ipod nano 6th gen (the wee square one with the touchscreen) in anticipation of my forthcoming A4 which will have AMI installed, along with the B & O sound system..mmmmm.

I've also just bought a JBL docking station for the kitchen with a remote control, but on my daughter's 6th gen nano she can't get access to some menus (e.g. playlists) through the remote and reading some blurb on the interweb it appears this is a problem with the 6th gen nano. That got me thinking maybe the same problem would occur when trying to control mine through the AMI.

So my question is, has anyone with AMI installed used it with a 6th gen nano? If so can they confirm that it works ok and you can access all the menus. If not then it's not too late for me to return my nano and go retro with an older gen nano.

Thanks

HC

simfin
10-03-2011, 11:29 AM
The first thing I would check is that the Ipod is at the very latest firmware revision.

streetfighter-r
13-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Just a thought...if there is a compatibility issue why don't you just buy a 16-32gb USB stick as the AMI comes with both cables.

I had a very old nano for the car but only 4gb and was not enough so I was contemplating buying the iPod classic but couldn't justify the money for a very dated bit of kit. I ended up buying a 16gb USB stick and managed the folders like my iTunes and it works a treat! I know it's only in the glove box but having to do frequent swaps is a hassle.

As there's no album artwork displayed I can't really think of any additional benefits of hiding your new nano in the glove box

ScottyUK
13-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I had a very old nano for the car but only 4gb and was not enough so I was contemplating buying the iPod classic but couldn't justify the money for a very dated bit of kit.

Very dated as in terms of size yes but what else does what it does? I bought one and hence have instant access to any of my music. Nice and simple and seamless integration.

Big Bird
13-03-2011, 03:28 PM
My kids have a 6th gen nano- i'll just pop out and check if it works or not!!

Big Bird
13-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Good news- the nano 6th works fine.All menus etc are just the same as my 5th gen nano, so stop worrying!!

(Ps, i have AMI and B&O too).

HotChip
14-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I did consider the USB stick but I wanted something that I could play in the house too, not just stuck in the glovebox permanently. Glad to hear that the 6th Gen works on the AMI, thanks BB. All I have to do now is rip the extensive Daniel O'Donnell collection onto itunes......

HC

Big Bird
14-03-2011, 08:17 PM
No problem.

Daniel O'Donnel??? Wish i hadn't bothered now..................;):1zhelp:

mick72
18-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi all
I have just bought a brand new A4 avant S-line special edition with all the toys including i pod connection. Problem is that the ipod is not recognised by ami, but ipod battery is charging. Selecting media menu, but the ami is not highlighted and won't let me select. Tried x2 ipods incase mine was at fault but same result. Dealer replaced the ipod cable but same result. They are now saying the car has to be booked in to be checked.
I am pretty pi**ed off for a couple of reasons:
This should have been checked and passed during PDI.
Car was delivered without the ipod cable
It took a month to get the cable from the dealer, only to hand it to me after i showed up in person.

Any suggestions before i booked the car in as i dont want billy PS3 the kid playing around with settings

Regards

Big Bird
18-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Any suggestions?

Oh yeah- i'd be going into Audi and kicking up a stink!!! as you say, you would think they would check that stuff (although, to be fair, unless they connect up an ipod, how do they know it'll work??) and ensure it's all ok for delivery.

Pretty poor service.......:mad:

mick72
18-03-2011, 06:58 PM
If you spend top dollar on a new car you would think and trust that all functions would be checked and passed, billy PS3 the kid would have probably already had his i pod already jammed in his ears while by-passing the obvious!

Still, before i take it back to kick ***, any suggestions from forum friends??

I pod has the latest firmware by the way.

ScottyUK
18-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Reality check time. You're not spending top dollar in their eyes. The A4 is about as middle of the road, bread and butter as it gets. It's not right and it's not good but on the Audi scale, the A4 is the common everyday purchase. If you was buying an RS6 or an R8 then I'd agree.

Do you really expect them to check every perceivable function on every car? You're lucky if they go through the tick list to ensure you got the right car with all the options. e.g. mine didn't have quattro or any parking sensors.

As much as I'd like to say we should all be treated as the most important things in their lives, I'm afraid we're not.

MFGF
20-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi all
I have just bought a brand new A4 avant S-line special edition with all the toys including i pod connection. Problem is that the ipod is not recognised by ami, but ipod battery is charging. Selecting media menu, but the ami is not highlighted and won't let me select. Tried x2 ipods incase mine was at fault but same result. Dealer replaced the ipod cable but same result. They are now saying the car has to be booked in to be checked.
I am pretty pi**ed off for a couple of reasons:
This should have been checked and passed during PDI.
Car was delivered without the ipod cable
It took a month to get the cable from the dealer, only to hand it to me after i showed up in person.

Any suggestions before i booked the car in as i dont want billy PS3 the kid playing around with settings

Regards

There are two different iPod AMI cables - one for 2G and one for 3G cars. Your dealer should really know which one to provide for your car, but I suppose it's possible they may have supplied the wrong one?

MF.

Snet form my fumblefingers
iPhon 5 usig Tapatalk

Hippogriff
20-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Half the people in Sales don't understand MP3, WMA, iPod, Bluetooth, AMI, USB or other such wonderful things. I would never expect too much from them. It's their job to understand, sure, but they don't. To them... it's magic. Magic that may or may not work as the magic is advertised. If it doesn't, then you've obviously ran out of mana.

Seriously, I half expect Audi to come out with their own branded Audi music player so they can only support that and then get rid of all this annoying interoperability stuff... like they tried with the joke of an Audi Centenary AMI hard drive.