PDA

View Full Version : Flat Battery

steely_resolve
09-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Anyone had any issues experiencing a flat battery ?

My problems started two months ago, initially getting 'low battery, charge while driving' displayed on the driver console. The warning would normally disappear after making a journey, then after a week I would get the message on a daily basis.

After a few weeks I experienced a flat battery, despite taking the on a good run of 50 miles to put some charge back.

The car went into the dealership, they couldn't find the cause but did replace the 'battery management control unit'.

Within a week I had another flat battery.

The car went back into the same dealership, they couldn't find the cause but did replace a relay (didn't say which).

Within another week I had yet again another flat battery.

This time the car went to a different dealership to investigate. They said that car was registering a power pike which when the car was left standing resulted in charge being draw from the battery. They have now had the car in the workshop for over two weeks and unable to find the cause despite admitting there is a problem.

If anyone has had similar issues I would appreciate knowing, as yet I have a car that is baffling all the Audi experts and getting really concerned. I love the car to bits but at this rate, two months on I'm thinking of getting rid and having another car sadly not another Audi.

Regards

Dave

steely_resolve
25-03-2011, 06:10 AM
This is the latest news on my car.
Audi Uk last week asked Stoke Audi to compile what is known as a DIS report. I think this is a highly detailed log of events and faults the car has produced over the months.

This DIS report thingy got scrutinized by the boffins at Audi Technical based at the HQ in Milton Keynes and suspect the cause of the fault is down to something called the Convenience Unit. I think this unit monitors and regulates all the electrical devices on the car and determines what can function at any given time in relation to the state of the charge in the battery.

Stoke are ordering the part and after it's been fitted, leaving the car standing for a week to see if it nails the problem.
Keep you posted on the outcome.

steely_resolve
05-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Collected the car today from Stoke Audi. The Convenience Control Unit has been replaced and the car tested by being left to stand for a week.

Hopefully this has resolved the problem for good and thank you to those of you who have replied and also offered words of support.

I'll post again in the near future once I'd had chance to use the car to see if the gremlins have gone for good.

Dave

steely_resolve
21-04-2011, 09:30 PM
At the weekend I got another flat battery.

I'd been valetting and vacuuming out the inside of the car with the door open for a few hours, which I have done on numerous occasions over the past few years without a problem. I made sure no interior lights remained on whilst cleaning the car. Although this may have contributed to the battery going flat I don't really know, but it shouldn't be the case I'm sure. I've owned mainly cars in the past and done exactly the same without any issues with battery, also I know someone who owns a TT and accidentally left his interior light on overnight without any problems.

RAC Assistance checked the battery and reported a reading of 10.73 volts and a bad cell.

I reported this to Stoke Audi when I dropped off the car the following day. Since then they have reported a fault with the battery and replaced it today with a new one.

Again I'll post in the near future once I'd had chance to use the car to see if the problem seems to be fully resolved for good.

Dave

northernangel
22-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi Dave
This may be of some help or may not but its worth a go.
I had the same problem with my Audi A4 cab... Drove o.k but when I was going out in the morning to start the car the battery was dead? Noticed like you it seemed to be when I had been in the boot. i,e cleaning the car and I had the boot open. I ended up taking the bulb out of the boot as suspected it may have been staying on when closed? I was told it was a common problem!! Touch wood not had any more problems.
Hope it helps