PDA

View Full Version : ABS Modulator: Free advice

Highermileage
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Afternoo'

I just wanted to share my experience with my ABS.

On the way home up the M5 motorway where I was not crusing at 100mph for 3 hours to Glawstershire, I had the ESR and ABS light flicker and then subsequently stay on.

I left it over night and in the morning it was ok for about an hour, but it then came on again.

After 2 visits to two different garages...and Audi, it was very clear the ABS modulator was "cattle trucked" rhyming slang for its fxcked!

Anyway, if you experience the same, I would suggest that you dont drive the car. Then, log onto www.ecu-testing.com (http://www.ecu-testing.com) purchase by exchange, a Bosh Reconditioned Modulator. It will come with 2 years warrenty and costs around the £225 mark.

Audi wanted £499 for the same part, but only offer a 6 mth warrenty.

In all, the costs saving by using an independant has been around £300 - that will help me in my 200,000 mile service next month.

If anyone is looking for a good independant in south Glaaawstershire, I would recommend John Watson of Maylane, Dursley.

I hope this helps someone else save a few quid...and of course be safe on the road.

Kindest Regards

MalcQV
04-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write that up ;)

onzarob
04-07-2007, 11:36 AM
top advice, cheers

adamss24
04-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Usually, one of the wheell sensors may be damaged/not plugged all the way or the wiring broken. If the dealer/independent cannot ''talk'' with the ABS controller, then check the wiring/conector and clean if necessary. If it still does not work, then the electrics are shorted/ corroded. Reconditioning involves opening the controler, clean the corroded components and resolder all the conections. Its fairly low curent, aprox. 5 volts so, not a great deal off damage might be done ! Anyway, its easier for the dealer to put a new part at buyer expense but give it a try and it might work...