PDA

View Full Version : Help car wont lock and windows go down

Crouchy...
06-03-2011, 04:40 PM
hello,

I have a 1.6 audi a3 1997! and everytime i go to lock the car and pull the key out of the lock, the whole car unlocks and the windows go down! if you hold the key in the lock postion it will stayed locked, but as soon as you pull the key out it unlocks and the windows start messing about!

any help will be great!

thanks

JimC64
06-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Is your interior light ok?

The reason I ask....Is my wifes Passat (54 plate ) central locking stopped working, electric windows were inop and the interior lights stopped working as well.....turns out it was the 10amp fuse needded replaced and cost£0.52p

Worse case scenario - have you got wet carpets behind the passenger seat? Not sure if its the same but on the Passat the ECM is located under there and gets wet with water ingress ( drain holes blockage ) and it buggers everything up.....I'm probably wrong and hope I am....If it is there is a write up here about it somewhere....do a search

Good luck :beerchug:

Crouchy...
06-03-2011, 10:07 PM
cheers for the reply buddy, the interior light works fine! aswell as the map lights! also the central locking works it just wont stay locked!

when you hold the passenger side window switch, the window goes up but when it gets near the top it trys to come back down! drivers side is fine tho!

gonna check fuses tommorrow! but surely if there working it wont be a fuse!

im new to these cars!

thanks

Zenerdiode
07-03-2011, 12:18 AM
The door lock switch going faulty can cause this too. Diagnosis of the Central Convenience Module will show if it thinks the switch is active all the time. It will be in Measuring Blocks for the doors.

rinupanu
07-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi,

My friend has this, his window gets half way up then goes back down because it thinks something is jamming it, it's either the motor(worst case) or the plastic clips inside, there are walkthroughs online if you search google, I've hard it's a it's a bit of a pain taking the whole door card off and getting to the glass etc, hope this helps.

NickPicks
07-03-2011, 01:05 PM
There's 2 issues here.

The easy one is the passenger side window which is sticking in the track and causing the resistance switch to wind it back down again. This is usually due to either the plastic clips cracking, or the rubber runners needing a bit of silicone lubricant.

The other issue is the car unlocking and opeinig the windows. This sounds like the lock switch is stuck as if the key is held in the unlock position, which unlocks the doors and opens all the windows.

I think the next step is as Zenerdiode suggests, to use vag-com measuring blocks on the central locking / central convenience to see what the door switches are electronically telling the module - if it's showing that driver's door unlock is active at all times, then that's the problem.

Crouchy...
10-03-2011, 08:12 PM
cheers guys, little update i can lock the car from the passenger side, so nick i reckon you could be right with the lock switch! and also the windows do take there time going up, so i reckon the rubbers need playing around with! thanks for the help! gonna try and get another lock switch and see what happens!

Crouchy...
22-03-2011, 07:21 PM
All sorted now was a simple fix!

for other people that may have this problem in the future it was the door lock where the key goes in! just soaked it in wd40, locked and unlocked the car a few times and now its fine!

cheers for the help!