PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant Clutch replacement.

simon.bradburn1
05-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Has anyone replaced a clutch on an A4-Avant ( R-plate) recently?

I'm following the bible according to Haynes, and i'm at the point where to get access to the starter motor it wants me to dismantle the front of the car!! (remove the bumper and slide the whole of the grill and lights forward) does anyone know of an easier way? or is it just a case of 'man-up' and just get on with it???

Cheers in advance.

green A8
06-03-2011, 12:08 AM
[QUOTE=simon.bradburn1;622167]Has anyone replaced a clutch on an A4-Avant ( R-plate) recently?

I'm following the bible according to Haynes,

I'm surprised Haynes haven't sent you to the Audi main agent! That seems to be their favorite ploy.

Having said that, I seem to remember that it's the air con compressor that get's in the way when you're trying to get at the starter motor bolts. So I suppose it would be logical to put the lock carrier into the service position. And remove the front bumper ect.

The car we were playing with was a '99 1.9 TDi (AFN) With a knackered starter motor. If I remember correctly, there is also a support bracket for the turbo that get's in the way and has to be removed. I don't know if your car is a TDi or not. I think that in the end we did indeed remove the front bumper and move the lock carrier forward. I suppose like many jobs it could be fiddled without taking half the car to bits, but in all honesty, you'd probably end up wasting hours, in order to avoid spending an hour or so removing the front bumper and putting the lock carrier into the service position.

It's fun working on these Audi's isn't it? :biglaugh:

Kind Regards.

Paul.