PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie please..

tannerman
14-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi Guys, I have just bought a Passat 130 TDI estate for the mrs, the car is great but for 2 things. On driving down the motorway it is fine pulls clean no smoke etc, but then when you stop at say some traffic lights and pull away their is a very slight flat spot but loads of smoke. If you boot it from the lights you get nothing at all. It has done 52k with VW sh...any ideas..also the boot started opening and closing on the way home, when i opened the boot then closed it it opened again so i manually locked it but the selanoid kept going , it has finally given up the ghost and i can only open it manually..Is there an aftermarket part i can buy and if so where and how much, but the main one is the smoke....Please help John :1zhelp:

tannerman
18-04-2006, 12:09 PM
I am suprised to see 27 views but not one reply? I thought these forums were here to discuss issues, best practices etc on VW and Audis...Obviously not...Maybe if i posted want to put 25ins chrome rims on my Polo i would have got more response...:confused:

Phil155
18-04-2006, 01:20 PM
I had the same problem on here:zx11:
A bit cleaky me thinks!!!
Try here instead
http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/VWPassat/page/0
hope you get it sorted!

tannerman
18-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Cheers Phil, i have booked it in for a diagnostic check this weekend, the guy seems to think it may be the MAF sensor and it is over fuelling at low revs, thanx for the reply
Try here instead
http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/VWPassat/page/0
hope you get it sorted!

Sam
20-04-2006, 10:05 AM
I am suprised to see 27 views but not one reply? I thought these forums were here to discuss issues, best practices etc on VW and Audis...Obviously not...Maybe if i posted want to put 25ins chrome rims on my Polo i would have got more response...:confused:

<laughing> Please don't put 25s on a Polo, it'd fall over.

Perhaps those who viewed your post weren't able to help, so rather than giving you misinformation, decided to walk on by.

I can't help with the smoking issue but the boot solenoid is an easy one, well documented on this site >http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=710< this should, I hope help you out. If not, I'm sorry, but I tried.

Try here instead
http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/...WPassat/page/0 (http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/VWPassat/page/0)
hope you get it sorted!

Cliqué is a bit unfair, this is a fairly new site, and personally, I think Stuart has done a great job, sending people to other sites isn't in the spirit of this forum. These are of course, my opinions.

Sam

Phil155
20-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Sam,

You're right, I appologise!:beerchug: that probably was a bit out of order!
:biglaugh:

danski
21-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Gotta admit I was about to just exit without answering...this is a good site, i just saw the title `Help A Newbie...` but I dont know anything about the diesels....so I`m one of the viewers, but I cant help, now if you want any information about supercharging a V6.....?
Anyway, hope you get sorted:burnout:

tannerman
22-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Cheers guys, sorry if it sounded a little "ner ner i don't want to play anymore"....Got the car back this morning from a full diagnostic and it isn't the MAF or any of the sensors, He said it had 2 error messages on the ecu which he deleted and then took it for a spin everything was ok for a while but it has come back..He said it might, he explained that the ecu on my car needed reprogramming but this could only be done at the dealers as they have the access codes. He said he had one a couple of years ago that did the same and the reprogramming never helped so he had to have a new ECU..about £800:( I have a friend who works in the admin department of my local Vw shop so she is going to get one of the mechanics to look at it one saturday afternoon (cash in hand). I don't know what to do at the moment as i have always been under the assumption that when you start to spend big bucks it never stops there so i am not sure whether to sell via an auction or not. If it is the ecu i need can you buy one from a breakers with the same part number etc...Not sure what to do, i will let the main dealer look then weigh up my options...Sorry for being ****** again but i will keep you posted..cheers guys:beerchug:

danski
22-04-2006, 06:05 PM
If it turns out to be the ECU, they are expensive - I had to get a new one for the girlfriends Polo, you can get one from a scrappers, but what if it isnt n good shape either? there are quite a few places that reurbish ECU`s, and I bought one of those, cost about a third of getting a brand new one, then it just needs Vag-Comming in. The place I got hers off even gave me cash back for the old one. If you need their contact details let me know - I cant think of their name right now, but they were very helpfull.

tannerman
24-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Cheers danski, i will pm you if it comes to that...Hopefully not:confused:

tannerman
03-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Hi guys after several attempts to resolve the situation (unsuccessful) i took it to a friend of a freind who works for VW audi and £40 later and hey presto sorted....When on the ramps the air intake pipe at the front of the car that feeds the turbo air had split where it was clipped, at a certain rev it flapped allowing the turbo to loose pressure so the ecu overcompensated for the loss of power with extra fuel...hence the flat spot and smoke...change the flexi rubber pipe and turbo boost up no loss of pressure right fuel air mixture no smoke or flat spot...:D :D The ecu was re checked and the error codes that were deleted have not returned so we are assuming these were from a earlier repair...hope this helps you guys in the future will keep you all posted..cheers john :D