PDA

View Full Version : Rear Lights, Backward Step?

logiclee
02-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Followed a B7 today, I quite liked it in the showroom although a little dissapointed at the new spec and pricing. One thing today really stuck in my mind though.

The B6 was one of the first mainstream saloons/estates with an LED rear cluster and IMO it still looks sharp and impressive when you're following one. As such all the premium brands soon followed and of course you now expect the more expensive BMW,Audi's and Merc's to have LED rear lights.
Not to be outdone more mainstream cars now have LED clusters the higher spec Toyotas, Peugeots, Mazda's, the new facelifted Mondeo and even the next facelift Superb.

So the SE B7 I followed today with the standard tungsten filiment bulb lighting looked rather down rent. I find it really strange that VW have made the LED rear light cluster and option and even then I believe the indicators are not LED in that.

Cheers
Lee

The Fingers
03-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Led rears come with upgraded head lights i think. I think projectors have gone from up front also.

I agree totally but i had both my rears in the B6 replaced under warranty due to water ingress killing them. One of them was like a little fish bowl for a while. I am pretty sure this will have something to do with them not mass installing them over the whole range.

Also all the kit they have added as standard for not much of an increase over same B6 model had to be paid for somewhere. To add all the extra's to my se B6 would have cost a small fortune back in 2008 (DAB, Highline, Multi function wheel, auto lights / mirrors, bluetooth, cheap flat tire thingy)

Still not seen one on the road yet, been up close and personal with a few on VW stockport forecourt and i actually think its better. still not sure on the whole rear end yet though but how much do i actually look at that bit.

Mine will be here in about 10 days due to arrive vw stockport next monday.:biglaugh:

logiclee
03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Led rears come with upgraded head lights i think. I think projectors have gone from up front also.

Haven't noticed the headlights but any improvement on the B6 projectors will be welcome.

I agree totally but i had both my rears in the B6 replaced under warranty due to water ingress killing them. One of them was like a little fish bowl for a while. I am pretty sure this will have something to do with them not mass installing them over the whole range.

Not picked up that as a problem but I'll keep an eye on mine. The LED clusters were fitted on the Passat Saloon and Estate, Jetta, Eos and Golf Plus.

Also all the kit they have added as standard for not much of an increase over same B6 model had to be paid for somewhere. To add all the extra's to my se B6 would have cost a small fortune back in 2008 (DAB, Highline, Multi function wheel, auto lights / mirrors, bluetooth, cheap flat tire thingy)

The B6 had been specced up since 2008 though, the Highline had MFSW and highline display and the Highline Plus had Bluetooth and SatNav, both had full alloy spare and leather heated seats. Spec 2010 B6 HighlinePlus and a 2011 B7 SE to the same spec and the new B7 is around £1000 for the same kit.
I think that's fair for a new model but the B7 is more expensive than the 2010 B6 with the same spec.

Still not seen one on the road yet, been up close and personal with a few on VW stockport forecourt and i actually think its better. still not sure on the whole rear end yet though but how much do i actually look at that bit.

Mine will be here in about 10 days due to arrive vw stockport next monday.:biglaugh:

Sat in a grey SE in the dealers and had a good look around and I do like it apart from the bland looking rear end. Following a red one on the road just confirmed my feelings, the standard light clusters and the bland rear end could have come from any cheaper manufacturer. Certainly doesn't make a statement of being a premium product as many of the newer bright styled LED Clusters do.
I really like the front end styling but wish they had tried a bit harder on the rear.

I'm sure you'll enjoy driving it though, the Euro5 CR engines are the quietest most refined 4 pot diesel I've heard.

Cheers
Lee

RicardoA4Sline
14-03-2011, 02:11 PM
No surprise really, look at the new Audi a4, only the s-line and above with xenon gets led rear lights, and the decent looking drl at the front.

Even the 3 series bmw has gone from led rears on the previous model to normal bulbs on the new model