PDA

View Full Version : A5 manual gearbox. Difficulty getting it in first gear.

LaChris
02-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi.

At least once every time I drive my A5 2.0 TFSI I cannot get it into first gear and it doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm (and the car is standing still when trying).
Mostly I can correct it if I choose another gear first or rev up the engine and then I'm able to use first gear. It has happened that that didn't work, so I had to start in second gear. It is very annoying and frustrating - especially when there are other cars behind me, but my dealer has had it for a check and looked at it and says that there is nothing wrong with it. In fact he said that in an A5 the sporty synchronization, or something like that, makes first and second gear a bit... eh, I don't know the English word for it, but the meaning should be the opposite of smooth.
Can anybody confirm that? Or experience the same thing?

tlionhart
02-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes and reverse is a bit like that too. Its common on both Audis and vw cars. If your new to audi then it will take time to get use to. The clutch is heavy so you need to ensure the clutch is fully down before engaging gears. I know what you mean it only happens once every blue moon. Im use to it so it happens very rarely. But reverse its damn annoying gettin it into gear. Feels like it gets stuck or doesn't want to do it. Rather than take it into another. Take it back to nuteral then try again, whilst ensuring the clutch is depressed then pressed again. On the second attempt it should work.