PDA

View Full Version : A6 new model tail light bulb

westiej
02-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Anyone know how to change the taill light bulb on the new (>2004) model A6. My helpful dash tells me that both stop and tail on passenger side have failed (I know it's one bulb) and the manual says I need a dealer to do such a complex task. I've searched the forum and found the refernces to the A4 but cannot for the life of me find a screw holing in the lamp unit. Anyone know where Ican find this illusive object? :confused:

TIA

Peter D
03-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Email me at info@3DAssociates.co.uk with the exact year and date of the dar as they change in 10/04 and is it an avant or saloon. You mentioned a screw, that is true of the A4 but not the A6. I'll send you the details. Regards Peter

PlatinumV
28-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi Peter,

Any chance you can post that info here?

Thanks,

Peter D
28-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I've tried posting on the forum but the files are quite large and the document losses it's format. Email me as above

steebee
25-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Hello Peter, I also had this message on my dash today. Audi A6 avant 2007. Grateful if you could email this on to me as well and i'll have a go . Thanks Steve

Savant
25-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I have an Audi A6 Avant Le mans 2008 tdi, and in the office I have a couple of sets Ultraled tail light/stop light bulbs ex a Disco 3, so i was intending to put these on my new car now as they last forever. So, also would appreciate advice ref fitting these. (They have the lugs or whetever they are called that are at different levels if you get my drift!). Discovery 3s are forever blowing stop light bulbs so these were a necesssity!
Also can dealers retro fit approved Xenons?
Thanks in advance.

PlatinumV
26-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the help Peter.

After fixing the passenger side bulb on the Audi, a week later the driver side dipped bulb went.

Even after more help from Peter, I still havn't managed to change it as was finding it impossible to figure out how to remove the air intake.

Anyone else changed a driver side dipped bulb?

true
27-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the help Peter.

After fixing the passenger side bulb on the Audi, a week later the driver side dipped bulb went.

Even after more help from Peter, I still havn't managed to change it as was finding it impossible to figure out how to remove the air intake.

Anyone else changed a driver side dipped bulb?

Nope, but I want to know how easy/difficult the job is as I want to change my DRL bulbs on both sides!

This guide shows how to replace the rear lamp units on an Avant with LED ones but could be used if you just wanted to replace the rear bulbs:
http://www.tcs.uk.net/fifteenyears/audi_led_tails/Audi%20A6%20Avant%20(C6)%20LED%20Tail%20Light%20Re trofit.pdf (http://www.tcs.uk.net/fifteenyears/audi_led_tails/Audi%20A6%20Avant%20%28C6%29%20LED%20Tail%20Light% 20Retrofit.pdf)

PlatinumV
27-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey True,

Changing the bulbs on the passenger side is fairly easy. You need to loosen the power steering thing and move it out the way.

Then you should have a very tight access to the back of the headlight enclosure. You can just unclip the rear of panel and squeeze your hand in to change the bulbs.

The driver side is a bit more compicated. First you have to take out 2 screws that are located at the front of the air intake (just above the front grill), this will let you remove the front of the air intake.

I then got stuck after this as I could figure out how to remove the rest of it in order to get access the the back of the headlight compartment.

I'm gonna give it another shot this evening. Will post back if I have any success.

yesheadjon
16-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Well, nearly a year on from the last post and this has really helped me out. Thanks Peter for the guidance.

Here is my "UK idiot's" guide to changin the bulb (in my case rear drivers side)....

When you open the boot, on the grey/black boot trim liner that runs parallel with the vertical part of the boot lid you will see a black plastic grommet about 1.5 inches in diameter. It is directly in line with the left hand side of the platic rear light cover as you face the car. Prise this out with a screwdriver. Underneath is a plastic nut about 1 inch depth. Remove this with a socket set.

Remove the thin black platic trim inside the boot lid that covers the left hand end of the plastic rear light cover. Tease it out as it is fairly thin and has a few clips on to the light cover.

The right hand side of the plastic rear light cover (the part that is almost flush with the body work) is held in by two spikes on the inside of the cover that push in to hollow rubber bungs in the bodywork. I removed this by sliding a flexible plastic kitchen spatula (the sort they use to get cream or batter out of a bowl) between the bodywork and the plastic light cover and levering it out.

The actual bulb hold3er can then be release by prising out the four clips situated at each corner (beleive me this is easy once you have the plastic light cover out of the mounting. You can then replace the bulbs.

Follow the instructions in reverse to replace the cover.

Sorry for the crude description and use of kitchen implements but sometimes I find a blunt blow-by-blow account is teh easiest to understand. Any problems email me at jd1.dunnington@ntlworld.com

Oh yes, my car is a July 2004 A6 2.4 saloon (new shape)

Cheers

Jon

Akash
16-07-2008, 10:03 PM
This task is actually user do-able and is stated in the user manual of the car on how to do it!

One of the very few things that Audi let the normal customer do to their cars

yesheadjon
16-07-2008, 10:43 PM
This task is actually user do-able and is stated in the user manual of the car on how to do it!

One of the very few things that Audi let the normal customer do to their cars

Then you have a different owner manual to mine. I have the authentic manual (I bought the car from a main dealer in Aylesbury in December 2007). It DOES NOT tell you how to do it. The relevent section is on page 366 "Fuses and Bulbs" and only tells you that you should have it changed by a "qualified mechanic".

There is no explanation and no diagrams.