PDA

View Full Version : A5 which engine?

audidriver1
01-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Hello.
Thinking of getting a A5 but with the variety of engines, i am utterly confused. Just wanna do my research before the dealers trying to sell me the most expensive car they got

I got a budget of 23k to spend on a second hand model but i dont know whiich engine to go for?

I am wary of fuel prices but i only do 20 miles a day to work so might not be an issue. I am also prefering a good acceleration car and so far seems the diesel is as quick as petrol

I just needed help/advise so i can target down one particular engine so i can start looking.
Thanks

robotplant
16-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Good question one I'm considering myself. Based on your needs though I believe the 3.0tdi would fit the bill , fuel economy is still good and performance is top notch. If you went down the route of a 2.0tdi you may regret the fact that you wished you could have more performance instead of saving a few quid on fuel a year.

The compromise would be the 2.7tdi. With a 23k budget you would be able to buy a tidy low miler 3.0tdi or 2.7tdi quattro. It's nearly summer time now but don't forget those bad winters we seem to be getting.

onemanparty
16-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Hello.
Thinking of getting a A5 but with the variety of engines, i am utterly confused. Just wanna do my research before the dealers trying to sell me the most expensive car they got

I got a budget of 23k to spend on a second hand model but i dont know whiich engine to go for?

I am wary of fuel prices but i only do 20 miles a day to work so might not be an issue. I am also prefering a good acceleration car and so far seems the diesel is as quick as petrol

I just needed help/advise so i can target down one particular engine so i can start looking.
Thanks

For your Budget I would go Petrol not Diesel 2.0T not a 1.8T. You need to do over 20K per annum for a diesel to pay off

robotplant
16-04-2011, 09:13 AM
not if you want the grunt;)

onemanparty
16-04-2011, 02:10 PM
not if you want the grunt;)

I had a 3.0TDI A4 B8 and have driven an A5 2.0T both nice engines but the 2.0T is more fun

Puresilk
20-12-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't think you can get the 2.7 tdi in quattro! 3.0 tdi all day long

BAA
21-12-2011, 09:44 AM
If you only do short journeys, then a diesel is probably not a good idea...have you not seen the reports of problems with the DPF on diesel engines when people do not do longer journeys often enough ?

Also, for the lower mileage, fuel cost is relatively unimportant, so petrol is best (and it does not stink like diesel when at the fuel pumps ;o)

I am going for the 2.0 TFSI petrol engine, so obviously that would be my recommendation.