PDA

View Full Version : Attention Another insurance scam

gazza57
01-03-2011, 01:24 PM
So we hear the ECHR has ruled it illegal to discriminate on grounds of gender for insurance quotes, has the world gone stark raving bonkers?
The quotes are based on risk, statistics show that lots more of us lads speed and more importantly claim than our female counterparts.
So the ECHR is going to force insurers to avoid the issue of gender altogether, so I hear some of you clapping your hands together expecting a 25%-30% decrease in your premiums...yeah right.
So the insurance industry will have to completely scrap all it's quote software, tables, databases and start again, no prizes for guessing who will pick up the tab for that.
My prediction is that the female premium will rise by 25-30% in line with the male and that will be that, decrease? you're having a laugh , NEVER EVER in more than 35 years of paying insurance premiums have the premiums ever decreased.

If you think that's also the end of it, think again, those of us in our 50's will see value of annuities reduce for us because statistically we live shorter lives than our female counterparts, yet do I hear any cries of discrimination here...no the silence is deafening.

There is one one sure thing you can bank on without a shadow of a doubt, that is that everything will continue to rise in price all ways every way and in the end you end up with diddly squat in your wallet.

Gazza57:zx11:

SammoVWT
01-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Lots of greedy buggers in the world unfortunately, all driven by the big money industries, such as insurance and investment banking.

It has a knock on effect to everything. Its disgusting, but noone wants to regulate it properly through fear of businesses upping sticks and leaving.

macmillions
01-03-2011, 10:49 PM
I was so outraged when I heard this I was rendered speechless.
I hate to admitt it, but male insurance premiums are high for a reason. But to raise womens' and not lower mens' accordingly so there is a happy medium, is just damn right daylight robbery.

Although, if the insurers went for a drive with myself and then my sister, I think they would certainly have a rethink with our premiums...

MalcQV
02-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Why stop at sex discrimination? Add age discrimination, why should I in my middle age pay less than my daughter?

Guest 2
02-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Location discrimination aswell if that exists. Northern Ireland pay the highest insurance in the UK because where we are :(

kodkod.84
02-03-2011, 10:05 AM
This is actually not very good news for me- I enjoy relatively reasonable insurance on my A4 and my Golf as:

1. I am the main driver with my partner named on the A4
2. She is main driver with me named on the Golf.

With the prices probably coming into line for both genders looks like I am gonna be paying more for both policies now :(

gazza57
02-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Why stop at sex discrimination? Add age discrimination, why should I in my middle age pay less than my daughter?

This is exactly why this policy is complete and utter PC claptrap, as you say MalcQV, why stop at sex? what about age, or location, or even how often you get your car serviced? it could be argued that those who service their cars regularly are less likely to have an unplanned failure which could lead to an accident.
The possiblilties are endless which is exactly why this head up your own backside thinking is a prime example of what we should be telling those chinless EU goons in Brussels.
Mind your own business and stop interfering in things that have nothing to do with you.
all this policy has done is to raise premiums, this along with pay cuts, job losses, pay freezes and food and fuel increases is making this country a bloody awful place in which to live, now the home secretary is cutting police pay, well some may applaud this, but that coupled with the fact that many more people are going to resort to theft will result in the largest spike of crime ever to hit this country in the next few years.

Ben
02-03-2011, 01:53 PM
So we hear the ECHR has ruled it illegal to discriminate on grounds of gender for insurance quotes, has the world gone stark raving bonkers?
The quotes are based on risk, statistics show that lots more of us lads speed and more importantly claim than our female counterparts.
So the ECHR is going to force insurers to avoid the issue of gender altogether, so I hear some of you clapping your hands together expecting a 25%-30% decrease in your premiums...yeah right.
So the insurance industry will have to completely scrap all it's quote software, tables, databases and start again, no prizes for guessing who will pick up the tab for that.
My prediction is that the female premium will rise by 25-30% in line with the male and that will be that, decrease? you're having a laugh , NEVER EVER in more than 35 years of paying insurance premiums have the premiums ever decreased.

If you think that's also the end of it, think again, those of us in our 50's will see value of annuities reduce for us because statistically we live shorter lives than our female counterparts, yet do I hear any cries of discrimination here...no the silence is deafening.

There is one one sure thing you can bank on without a shadow of a doubt, that is that everything will continue to rise in price all ways every way and in the end you end up with diddly squat in your wallet.

you beat me by 15 mins gaz http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=115846

SammoVWT
02-03-2011, 03:17 PM
This is exactly why this policy is complete and utter PC claptrap, as you say MalcQV, why stop at sex? what about age, or location, or even how often you get your car serviced? it could be argued that those who service their cars regularly are less likely to have an unplanned failure which could lead to an accident.
The possiblilties are endless which is exactly why this head up your own backside thinking is a prime example of what we should be telling those chinless EU goons in Brussels.
Mind your own business and stop interfering in things that have nothing to do with you.
all this policy has done is to raise premiums, this along with pay cuts, job losses, pay freezes and food and fuel increases is making this country a bloody awful place in which to live, now the home secretary is cutting police pay, well some may applaud this, but that coupled with the fact that many more people are going to resort to theft will result in the largest spike of crime ever to hit this country in the next few years.

I said exactly the same thing to the mrs yesterday. People will go on the rob out of desperation.

gazza57
03-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Sammo ,
I think you're right, people will go out and steal as with the cuts in the police, the chances of being aprehended fall from almost nothing to absolute zero.
There will be some people who may steal out of desperation, but there are a hard core of people who have never worked and see no reason why they should start now, and whilst some of these unwageable oafs are perhaps in their early 20's there is an increasing proportion who are in their 50's and have never worked.
This is why this government's blunt instrument approach to tackling the welfare burden is the same old tory panacea of one size fits all.
Why not make it more attractive financially to work and of course stop cutting as this inhibits growth, no growth, no jobs.
All this bunch of clowns has done is pare everything to the bone, because of this we will be the last country to recover and will have a longer deeper recession than any of our european counterparts.

Gazza57:o

SammoVWT
03-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Couldnt have put it better myself, they need to reduce the amount we shell out in taxes to get more people working.

Why work for £16k NET in tescos when you can get the same or more in benefits.

By the time you get taxed and pay your bills you have nothing to show for it, and they expect people to survive.

Its the same throughout, if they want more people to spend, stop making it so expensive. Obviously a balance must be found, but really they need to have a softer approach.

The evidence is quite clear that the economy is shrinking (mostly driven by job losses), but they carry on bull headed with the current plan. Also with a shrinking economy, the tax pool will be smaller, so how do they expect to pay things off quicker?

From an engineering point of view, to make things more stable you need to make gradual changes, if you make a system massively unstable, expect a large negative response before it starts to stabilise.

What im worried about is that the response is going to be so negative its going to sink things badly.

To be honest, ive wanted to start up a couple of business ideas - but im getting crippled at the moment, let alone getting on the housing market.

Everyone is on the take these days. The moral compass has gone haywire.

fat controller
03-03-2011, 05:11 PM
<snip>

- but im getting crippled at the moment, let alone getting on the housing market.

Everyone is on the take these days. The moral compass has gone haywire.

Got to agree wholeheartedly with you mate - I would be the first to admit that my earnings are quite good, yet we are battling like hell now. Aside from the ever increasing cost of running our car (which now is only used pretty much to get us to and from work, and shopping), we have the increasing cost of our household energy.

The real cracker on top of all this, is the antics of the banks and finance houses - we have a joint credit card that we have had for a number of years; we used *** for large purchases, and would invariably pay it off in chunks of £500 or so a month til we had paid what we owed, and then buy the next thing. Credit limit is around £7k.

A couple of years ago, I used the card to buy a car (£3k), some bits to restore the car (£1k), and then followed it up with refurbishing our bathroom and kitchen (£3k, rented flat that we had been in for 8 years, and the landlord was skint but happy to let us do what we wanted, and rent was correspondingly cheap). All this on the credit card with an APR of 12.9% which going by previous form would have been paid off inside the year.

Almost immediately after (the day after I finished installing the new bathroom to be exact), our landlords shop caught fire (below the flat) and was destroyed (he was uninsured); we had to move, and fast, and ended up where we are now (not complaining about the house) with a rent £500 a month more than we were paying. This meant we were left paying the minimum payment on the credit card, while we waited for a loan to finish and then we would pay more - within a matter of months of moving here, the credit card company hiked our interest rate to 29.9%!!! Not a missed payment, nothing - they just felt like it. The net result of this is that we have been stuck paying the minimum payment for two years and next to nothing has come off the balance.

What is worse, we asked our bank to extend our loan to get shot of the credit card - they refused on the grounds of affordability as we had been using our overdraft each month; the loan payment would have gone up by £10 a month, and we wouldn't be paying £210 a month to the credit card, so we would be £200 a month better off - yet the computer says no!

More like they could see that we were going to accrue bank charges over the coming year or so, and saw the opportunity to milk us while we struggled :aargh4:.

Until tactics like this are sorted, we all may as well give up.

SammoVWT
03-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Similar story for me mate minus the fire etc, but with the bank and my loans, I would have paid them off much quicker, but they insist on changing interest and making new charge schemes to make more money.

You don't see them paying back what they owe us though. Not even a thankyou.

Basically my policy now is to not borrow anything, and just make do with what I have and try to save (which is becoming more difficult). I used to do this until things went wrong and I was forced to borrow.