PDA

View Full Version : A4 Multitronic - what does 'S' mode do?

vwawudi
27-02-2011, 02:15 PM
As above.

I know the revs change and gets higher but does it do any more? Does it make the engine more responsive, more eager and generally faster? Does the car accelerate better?

I've tried it several times and I don't notice any difference other than a change in 'revviness'. Was hoping that it would release some 'kick' etc.

Guest 2
27-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Keeps the gear selected for longer so you can go to the higher revband ie, power/speed etc. S stands for Speeding ticket :D

vwawudi
27-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Keeps the gear selected for longer so you can go to the higher revband ie, power/speed etc. S stands for Speeding ticket :D

Ok, a little technical :biglaugh:
What do you have to do in 'S' mode for more excitement?

Guest 2
27-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Just put your foot to the floor and the smile will come quickly :D

Ardy
03-03-2011, 02:35 PM
I find pulling away in s mode results in torque steer and muchos spin! - great when overtaking on b roads though. Must remember though - just use the flappy paddles - still seem to forget.

theskyfox
03-03-2011, 04:41 PM
"I find pulling away in s mode results in torque steer and muchos spin!"

Out of curiosity, how do you find the performance and handling of the 2.7TDi? The reason I ask is I know the BHP/Torque isn't far off the 3.0TDi at all...and the 2.7 is entirely front wheel drive..I'm not surprised your getting torque steer. I get that on the 1.9TDi when the 18" alloys are on it. I think on the quattros 60% Is sent to the back of the drivetrain....

-Andrew

Ardy
05-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Performance and handling I find to be spot on - the only time it struggles is hard on the power from a standstill - but if you ease in its no problem - im sure on this point the quattro would be much better? (i just mean at roundabouts and wat not when trying to catch a gap!)

I reckon on the twistys its just great too - you can lay the power on out of a corner and no problems - feels planted. Again though i am sure this would only be enhanced by quattro.

I think there's actually a reasonable difference between the 2 - 190bhp vs 240bhp i think - which makes for around a 1-2 second difference 0-60. But of course its the torque in the diesels especially which is pretty awesome in both.

Dont get me wrong if i could have stretched to the 3.0 quattro i would have. My choice was multi 2.7 over 2.0 quattro.

satsu
06-03-2011, 12:18 AM
What are these "wheelspin" and "torque steer" things that you speak of? Also I am not familiar with the concepts of "easing it in" or "waiting until the way out of a corner to lay on power". :biglaugh:

My last car was a 170hp FWD Volvo V50 which was nice enough to drive day-to-day but understeered and torque steered all over the shop when pushed. Glad to hear that the 2.7 with its big lump of turbo-diesel torque is actually quite manageable. :)

Mclucker
06-03-2011, 10:02 AM
On our 1.8T the S mode does several things that are all very obvious:

More responsive throttle.

Changes the traction control, allows harder acceleration without wheelspin and torque steer.

Revs higher.

legendamongus
06-03-2011, 11:34 AM
From the Owners Manual on the Multitronic S position: Select this position if you wish to take full advantage of the car's performance. This setting makes use of the engine's maximum power output. When accelerating the gear shifts will be noticeable.

The multitronic doesn't have gears, so both manual and S mode simulate them so that you can change up and down. S mode holds the 'gear' for longer before upshifting so that the engine stays in the power band for longer, making it faster.

I didn't think it did anything to the traction control?

Ardy
06-03-2011, 02:34 PM
The multitronic doesn't have gears, so both manual and S mode simulate them so that you can change up and down. S mode holds the 'gear' for longer before upshifting so that the engine stays in the power band for longer, making it faster.

I didn't think it did anything to the traction control?

Agreed - and if it is suppose to it doesnt work in mine :biglaugh: