PDA

View Full Version : Please Help What's the plastic tube coming out of the battery?

SteveSmythe
23-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi, I'm an Audi newbie and I need some help.

I need a new battery. The one in the car (brand: "Moll") has a small corrugated plastic tube coming out the side just underneath the + sign and it disappears into the ns wheelarch. What is it and do I need it? If so, does that restrict the range of batteries I can buy?

Also, how is the battery fixed in place (i.e. where do I have to unclamp it)?

Thanks

kite
23-02-2011, 11:43 AM
The tube is a vent pipe, it stops the build up of gas, your new battery will have a hole to plug the pipe into.
The clamp is at the front of the battery, if you ease the loom that runs in front of the battery and look down you'll see the clamp, think its a 7mm hex.

Crasher
23-02-2011, 11:48 AM
It also prevents the smell of the gases (Hydrogen Sulphide?) getting into the heater intake.

SteveSmythe
23-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Brilliant - thanks for the quick replies guys. So I can just pull out the vent tube can I? (I don't like to pull at things unless I know what I'm doing).

I notice I have lots of water swimming around under the battery. I guess the drain holes must be blocked - I assume that will be easy to do once I have the battery out?

kite
23-02-2011, 12:00 PM
get rid of the water in the bulk by cleaning the drains, there is on on each side, under the battery and under the servo.
Check your front pax footwell for damp !!!