PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Noise?

StuartMoore
12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Passat PD 130 2001. Accelerating produces a rather loud air rushing noise. It seems to be turbo related since it appears to happen during boost. The car performs well - it's just the noise. Anyone have any ideas?

6Speeder
16-04-2006, 01:14 AM
I've driven mine with the window down and can barely hear the turbo spooling up...sounds like you have a burst/leaking hose or intercooler. Could maybe be something simple like a mis seated airbox cover...anyways its not right.

StuartMoore
16-04-2006, 12:44 PM
I agree it's not right. I have had the car from new and it has covered 83000 miles - I have never heard anything like this before. It started quite suddenly - one day it was fine, the next morning it was there. I am quite 'tuned-in' to my car noises so I don't believe it started gradually. It is very loud. There is nothing to see under the bonnet and it is not possible to produce turbo boost whilst stationary so it looks like a visit to my friendly VW main dealer.

COLIN
02-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Stuart,

I have exactly the same problem, even though i can hear air escaping from the drivers side of the engine bay whilst stationary with a small increase in revs. I have had a quick look to see if i can find where the air is coming from, without any luck.
Please come back to me with what the main dealer says, and prices, as i may have the same problem.

Cheers

Colin

StuartMoore
02-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi, it was a split high pressure hose. It was located underneath the turbo I think because they said they had to remove the under tray to fix it. The main dealer fixed it while I waited (1 hour) and it cost £160 (about half-and-half labour and part.