PDA

View Full Version : Your views on engine type and quattro please

Johnners
02-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Morning Gents, here goes my first post. I'm looking to buy my first Audi, a B7 Avant. I'm after a TDI, but i'm undecided on a couple of points and I'd appreciate people's views on the following:

I'm not sure which lump to go for. What are people's views on engines - 2.0 TDI or a 2.0 TDI (170ps)? Does the obvious extra power come at the expense of a not so obvious trade off such as reliability or something else?

Secondly, Quattro. I won't miss what i've never had, but i'm tempted to buy a quattro. I just don't know if I could be getting into unneccessay issues such as cost and reliability for very little benefit. Or am I missing something here? Is it worth getting, even if it's just a resale bonus?
Cheers

MarkBS
02-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi, I decided to get a TDI last year and have a A4 B7 2.0TDi 140 saloon. The 140 is no sluggard but test drive both engine types to seethe difference. I have heard that the 170 is slightly more punchy but haven't driven one myself.
Depending on your finances, the 170 is 3 insurance groups higher (15 instead of 12) and if you go for the quattro then the emissions will put you in a higher road tax bracket. This may not worry you but just a couple of useful points in case.
As far as reliability goes no faults so far...except oil burning for first 8-10,000 miles, mine has done almost 12 now and doesn't seem to smoke or burn oil anymore.
Hope this helps
Mark

Johnners
02-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks Mark. I hadn't appreciated their would be a 3 group hike in insurance or the higher quattro emission either, so thanks very much. Food for thought.

prolfe
02-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks Mark. I hadn't appreciated their would be a 3 group hike in insurance or the higher quattro emission either, so thanks very much. Food for thought.

I have driven the 140 in a Leon, Golf and A3 and also the 170 in a Golf and in my A3. There is a big difference in between makes of the same engine and also between the 140 and 170.

The 170 has a bigger surge of power that comes in a little bit later than the 140. 170 at 2000rpm.

The A4 is a bit heavier though so it might not be as noticeable.

Take them both out on the same day and in the same spec.

A 140 with 18" alloys will feel different to a 140 with 17" alloys.

Johnners
03-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks Prolfe.

For my benefit, can you explain why the car would feel different with smaller alloys please?

Regarding the power @2000rpm - I guess this is the lag i've been reading about that some people are not too happy with.

:beerchug: for the info

prolfe
03-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks Prolfe.

For my benefit, can you explain why the car would feel different with smaller alloys please?

Regarding the power @2000rpm - I guess this is the lag i've been reading about that some people are not too happy with.

:beerchug: for the info

You get lag in the 140 as well, I think its up to about 1650rpm, others could confirm. I don't really get caught out with the lag, i guess it depends what speed and gear you are in.

As for the feel of the different alloys. I drove a S-line with 225/40/18's and it felt really bumpy. I then drove a sport with 225/45/17's and it felt much much better. Less bumpy, and less annoying.

That kind of comparison might transfer over to the A4, both the Sport and S-Line have the harder lower suspension.

onzarob
03-07-2007, 10:58 AM
A 140 with 18" alloys will feel different to a 140 with 17" alloys.

It due to less sidewall height on a lower profile giving better handling in the corners, but harsher ride due to less flexing in the tyre, which can be annoying on the motorway or uneven road surfaces.

As with anything, Sport suspension and wheels are great, But its best to go for the best setup for the type of driving you do.

Johnners
04-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys

marcus
31-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I have a 56 plate A4 B7 170 SE 2.0 TDI and the first Audi i have ever owned and must say that to start with the lag was a bit strange, however i found that after a very short while you adjust your driving style to suit and now dont find it a problem. I have just had her remapped and boy what difrance!!!. You still get the lag but has been reduced slightly down to around 1800 but the power band is far greater making her a far more responsive vehicle!!!

Fastlad
06-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Hello

I cannot venture an opinion on the 140 but I have driven the 170 2 wheel drive Avant and the Quattro Saloon.

Both are very good cars to drive, but push them that bit harder, especially round the twisty stuff and only one put a smile on my face and made me feel secure in knowing that my nerve would give up before the grip.... it was the Quattro for me.

Perhaps with winter fast approaching and coming from an X5 I would miss that grip too much.

Hope this helps

First poster

RickT
06-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Just a quick post here regarding re-sale, you are always going to get that extra grand on the resale value with the Quattro..

Plus.. duing the winter months it will help you out loads.. i know we dont get much snow other here these day's, put try setting off in 2 inch deep snow running 235/35/18's wheel on a FWD car.... you dont get too far...

Just to give you an idea... I have a A4 B6 FWD and my Dad has a A4 B6 Quattro... and i was amazed how he manged to get out of the road (uphill) when i only got about 50 yards..

RickT

timmee62
17-10-2007, 01:33 PM
The 170 Quattro is very neutral in corners, I think. If you like that, it's great, loads of torque out of corners and grip to go with it. No torque steer like in the FWD car. I think the 4WD is 50/50 split??? This seems to make it understeer a little if anything. I have read the new A$ has the 60/40 to the rear Quattro, and I reckon that would be worth trying :biglaugh:

Fastlad
18-10-2007, 01:57 AM
I am sure the latest version of the Quattro is the 40/60 split that is currently being used in the A4....but I could be wrong.

judgefudge
13-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Being a tight wad i went for the 1.9tdi B7 and have no complaints - cheaper tax/insurance but mates call it a grandad mobile ! Quattros are great in the snow but any other time you'll see a noticeable drop in mpg and could be harder to sell secondhand in the long term....

skymaster
14-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Quattro is great... but some people seem to think it will bring them more than it really can...

On snow and ice a quattro will certainly get up those steep hills where most 2wd cars fail.... but in Bath where I live there have been some hills even I would not dare go near, even with quattro. It wont help you one bit if you are going sideways down an icey lane though...

The near neutral handling characterists it brings in the B6 / B7 50/50 split has made me a fairly lazy driver in many ways... When I had my old MK4 golf, chipped, running on Konis but with 2WD and no traction control I used to anticipate corners better and be acelerating round them in the right gear at the right speed to make sure I didn't fly off the road... My quattro A4 means I can basically get all this wrong and still come out the other side in one piece...

Wheel spins are a thing of the past... and if you need to pull out of a junction super fast and floor it ...it's great.... max power down and it all sends you forward... no scrabbling for grip while the ESP light goes crazy....

The down side to Quattro is that whe you come to upgrade you will want it again... so it cuts the selection of used cars down considerably...