PDA

View Full Version : Safety Camera Apps

PHPsauce
16-02-2011, 12:30 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but for those iPhone owners there is a great little app cameralert that warns you of speed cameras.

I was dubious but I've been using it since the weekend and its brilliant for warning about fixed cameras. You do need a annual subscription to catch the latest mobile cameras.

It's just a shame the app can't be added to the vag sat nav.

SammoVWT
16-02-2011, 01:48 AM
I use my garmin pretty much wherever I go, its so handy not so much for directions but it gives warnings on speed/cameras which is what i find most useful.

These cars are often so comfy you dont even realise your speeding at times, epecially after booting it in a 2stroke kart for a few hours >.<

If anyone knows how to sort out the layers on google maps (android) to add speed/camera info to it please let me know! :D

Eshrules
16-02-2011, 09:15 AM
also available on appbrain

http://www.appbrain.com/app/cameralert/com.pocketgpsworld.cameralert

Sam - there doesn't (afaik) seem to be a way to add a layer for speed cameras on google maps.

However, if you get the cameralert app with the gpsworld camera database added, you can run the app in the background and use googlenav for navigation. If you approach a camera (that's in the d/b, obviously) the cameralert app will flag up a warning accordingly.

Sadly, there appears no way to properly integrate warnings into google nav, which is a shame tbh - you still can't beat a dedicated GPS unit imho.

Guest 2
16-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Also available on Installous ;)

SammoVWT
16-02-2011, 10:01 AM
also available on appbrain

http://www.appbrain.com/app/cameralert/com.pocketgpsworld.cameralert

Sam - there doesn't (afaik) seem to be a way to add a layer for speed cameras on google maps.

However, if you get the cameralert app with the gpsworld camera database added, you can run the app in the background and use googlenav for navigation. If you approach a camera (that's in the d/b, obviously) the cameralert app will flag up a warning accordingly.

Sadly, there appears no way to properly integrate warnings into google nav, which is a shame tbh - you still can't beat a dedicated GPS unit imho.

Ah nice one Esh, cheers. I heard google are working on it, but its all rumors and heresay. It would definately rock if they allowed you to integrate databases. I guess I can live with the background application, thats quite handy.

Guest 2
16-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Just downloaded this, it's really good. Apparently there is only 1 fixed Gatso camera in Northern Ireland and the rest are mobile units.

Highly reccommended.

Eshrules
16-02-2011, 10:32 AM

appbrain = android, the alternative to iphone's store - try to keep up dear :approve:

phil miller
16-02-2011, 07:28 PM

is it this that is the product of a jailbreak:p

Guest 2
16-02-2011, 07:52 PM
is it this that is the product of a jailbreak:p

It may be! After the heated discussion earlier, I do not advise to use Installous. Far better to use the AppStore :)