PDA

View Full Version : VW Golf Mk3 Central Locking Problems

Pyrotekniks
01-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi all,

I have a 1994 1.6 Golf, whos central locking has just failed on me. Can open the doors manually but there is no sound of any motor as if it is trying to open the locks.

This may help with why it happened....

I was replacing the cigarrette lighter housing so I pulled the dash off so I could see what I was doing (didnt want to yank anything off by accident), when I moved the dash forward a bare wire must have made contact with the chassis, as a few sparks went off. All the electrics are fine apart from the cig lighter now doesnt work and the central locking failed after this. Not sure if its related but it happened at that point.

Again not sure if its related but I checked all the fuses and they all look ok.

Please help!
Thanks
Gareth

Flash2
01-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Check all your fuses again. At least one must be blown. Also, I think the central locking on your vehicle is pneumatic and not electric so you wont hear the motors. There is an air pump in the boot. It's no the O/S (drivers side) somewhere if I remember correctly. Try and find the pump and work the central locking and see if you can hear the pump operating. Perhaps you have a leaking pipe, but I think it is more likely a blown fuse.

Regards - Jim.

Pyrotekniks
03-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks for reply Jim,

Although the locks work on pneumatics, there must be a electric circuit somewhere to activate it no? I'll check the fuses again but if theres nothing going to the pump are there any wires anywhere behind the dash/doors that could be affected.

Only query this after the spark from the other wires caused this I think.

Cheers
Gareth

shadowstalker
05-07-2007, 11:14 AM
I did this with my mk 3 golf, the problem IS a fuse if there was a spark. i cant remember which one it was but if you look in a haynes manual it will tell you, i think the fuse might be about the third in from the left (side where steering wheel is)
hope this helps
craig

Pyrotekniks
06-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Heh, thanks guys, I got it sorted...it DID turn out to be a fuse...just the only one I couldnt see myself, was hidden away to the right behind a bit of plastic.

Took it to a sparky and he spent an hour on it then only charged me a tenner for his work.

Thanks for the replies
Gareth

Flash2
06-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Gareth, glad to hear you got it sorted.

Nice to hear you found a sparky who didn't try to rip you off too. Perhaps you should give him a plug on the forum so others in your area can use him too.

Cheers - Jim.

Pyrotekniks
09-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah good idea.

Its in the East Leeds area, place called Kippax. Guy is called Andy and his 1-man company is Mobilec, working out of SAC Autos. The guy will also come out to see your car too if you cant get to him. He's on yell.com if you want to track him down.

Cheers
Gareth