PDA

View Full Version : Coupe leaking rear light seal

cleggn
01-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi there!

I've got a '94 Coupe which seems to be collecting water in the boot. I've read that the rear light seals are a common problem and can cause leakage. I've also noticed that the cluster seems to have approx 1cm of water in it and plenty of condensation.

So I've been trying to get the drivers side cluster out to clean it up and reseal it. I removed the six nuts and disconnected the lock mechanism but I just can't get the cluster to come out (not even with persuasion from a hammer!).

Do I need to remove anything other than the six nuts? I can't see anything else holding it in place.

Regards

cleggn

scotty33
01-07-2007, 09:23 PM
If you have all the nuts off, then it must be the sealant. I found it needed to be prised off slowly. Allegedly VW dealers will sell the sealant strip by the metre, but Audi don't??

cleggn
02-07-2007, 06:50 PM
It was the old sealant keeping the unit in place. I've managed to get it off now by removing the number plate surround and prising off the clusters as suggested.

I cleaned them up and replaced the sealant with a generous bead of 'DumDum'.

Keeping fingers crossed for the next time it rains.

sox
10-07-2007, 08:06 PM
hi

i had a similar problem,

if that dont work it will probably be the boot seal. i came to my car one day to find nearly an INCH! of water in the bottom of the boot in the corner.
water could be getting in through the boot seal and into the light that way.
boot seal will sort it. cheap and well easy to fit.

rich

cleggn
10-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Rich,

Looks like it was the sealant around the light clusters as since I resealed them with 'DumDum' there's been no more water in the boot even though we've had some heavy rain.

I now seem to have another small problem since fixing the leak. The right hand tail light functions have 'gone to pot'. When I'm indicating right and braking, the rear fog light switch on the dash starts to flash (and the rear fog light itself flashes) - all is well indicating whilst not braking or braking whilst not indicating.

Could it just be water/damp in the wiring following the leak and will probably dry out in the coming days?

cleggn

Trickey Dickey
11-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Have you checked the earth connection ? sounds like it trying to find an earth to me, check for corrosion where its grounded on check the multiplug for corrosion, im sure a gentle clean with a scourer and a bit of wd 40 will sort it

cleggn
13-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks Trickey,

I'll give it a try over the weekend and let you know how I get on!!

Regards

cleggn

cleggn
14-07-2007, 05:34 PM
All working again.

It was a dodgy connection on the multiplug - cleaned it up and reconnected.

Job done!

cleggn

Trickey Dickey
15-07-2007, 08:18 AM
glad its sorted, your mind tends to make you think its far more serious than a dodgy earth, especially when light start flashing when they shouldnt!
easy fix