PDA

View Full Version : What software for my new vag cable link inside

nickeym1
14-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi fellas got my vagcom cable in the post today and i downloaded vagcom 409.1 and also vcds lite and the cable just doesnt seem to work with any of them. I installed them both plugged cable in to car and laptop and nothin happens tried starting both programmes and nothin with 409.1 and vcds lite starts and asks which com port or somethin but i tried com 1 2 3 and 4 and none of them work.

Can anyone tell me where im going wrong :confused:

nickeym1
14-02-2011, 01:04 PM
sorry heres the link for the cable i bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320654068912

Issac Hunt
14-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Can anyone tell me where im going wrong :confused:

Buying a non-genuine Ebay rip-off version ?

You'll need to contact the seller for 'support' if they offer any. Its not a proper genuine cable so you'll get no assistance from Ross-tech.

I imagine the problem is with the drivers for the USB cable, as the cable is a ripoff/copy of an old version. I imagine you need a serial/USB driver for your laptop.

nickeym1
14-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Buying a non-genuine Ebay rip-off version ?

You'll need to contact the seller for 'support' if they offer any. Its not a proper genuine cable so you'll get no assistance from Ross-tech.

I imagine the problem is with the drivers for the USB cable, as the cable is a ripoff/copy of an old version. I imagine you need a serial/USB driver for your laptop.
Believe me i tried getting a genuine cable from ganden but they would not ship to ireland so i had to resort to ebay.There was very little difference in the price anyway.

I plugged the cable into the laptop and windows installed something automatically i think it was driver but not sure. Also a driver disc came with the cable but its one of them small discs and i have a slot loading drive in my laptop so i cant use the disc

Hex69
14-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Believe me i tried getting a genuine cable from ganden but they would not ship to ireland so i had to resort to ebay.There was very little difference in the price anyway.

I plugged the cable into the laptop and windows installed something automatically i think it was driver but not sure. Also a driver disc came with the cable but its one of them small discs and i have a slot loading drive in my laptop so i cant use the disc

There's your problem then, try either burning the small disc to a full size one on another PC, or to a USB flash drive and then installing the drivers from there.

Oh, and btw, once you've installed the drivers, don't forget to turn the ignition on once connected. :D

HTH.

nickeym1
14-02-2011, 01:31 PM
There's your problem then, try either burning the small disc to a full size one on another PC, or to a USB flash drive and then installing the drivers from there.

Oh, and btw, once you've installed the drivers, don't forget to turn the ignition on once connected. :D

HTH.
Oh right i thought whatever windows installed auto when i plugged in was the drivers and it would work ok but i will try get the small disc on to usb and try again cheers mate :beerchug:

nickeym1
14-02-2011, 05:16 PM

HTH.
Right mate i got vcds working but cant get vagcom 409.1 to work i have a fully working version. But when i click on it the timer just comes up for about 5 seconds and then nothing what am i doing wrong. I tried to contact the seller but guess what no response. Does the cable need to be hooked up to the car for the 409.1 to come on or should it come on the same as vcds without connecting it to car. Or actually are vcds and vag com the same

Hex69
14-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Right mate i got vcds working but cant get vagcom 409.1 to work i have a fully working version. But when i click on it the timer just comes up for about 5 seconds and then nothing what am i doing wrong. I tried to contact the seller but guess what no response. Does the cable need to be hooked up to the car for the 409.1 to come on or should it come on the same as vcds without connecting it to car. Or actually are vcds and vag com the same

VCDS Lite is the new version of VAGCOM.

I'd get it hooked up to the car to see what's coming up 1st.

Sam
14-02-2011, 05:32 PM
VCDS lite replaced 409.1 which is no longer supported.

(I type slow, Hex beat me to it)

nickeym1
14-02-2011, 07:26 PM
now i got vcds on and working so i thought and every scan i do it says cannot find controller or something like that

nickeym1
14-02-2011, 09:36 PM
is there any way of getting 409.1 working guys a friend of mine gave it to me on disc and its all i have at the moment. I tried vcds lite but i cant do anything with it really apart from what i can do on my cheapo code reader i bought last year. When i click 409.1 nothin happens at all. Surely there is some way i could use it still:confused:

nickeym1
14-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Tried 409.1 on a vista laptop and it went straight on to it but when i try to scan or do anything else the message NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLLER comes up. Does anyone know if there is any way to increase the rpm in vcds lite or does it have to be the fully registered version

burkey1
14-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Bit long winded but might help you!!!

Suspect your OBD11 cable is USB. If so the small disk is the driver for this lead, for Serial to USB conversion.

This disk has nothing to do with VCDS only to establish comms between PC and OBD11 port on car.

Once driver is installed correctly you will most likely need to select the correct comm port manually on your PC. For some reason with alot of non serial port laptops, the USB to serial converter device does not automatically select the correct comm port.

For XP operating system, plug in lead to PC and car and ignition to 2 or car started.
Go: start/control panal/system/hardware/device manager/ports/usb serial port

box will appear. Go: port settings/advanced and from here start at com1 in the port select box working your way up and checking for comms each time. Ok out of this when each variation is selected.

In VAGCOM (VCDS) go to program options and select com1. you may need to go through a few to find the one that works for you.

for my PC it is com 4 on both PC and VAGCOM.

nickeym1
14-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Bit long winded but might help you!!!

Suspect your OBD11 cable is USB. If so the small disk is the driver for this lead, for Serial to USB conversion.

This disk has nothing to do with VCDS only to establish comms between PC and OBD11 port on car.

Once driver is installed correctly you will most likely need to select the correct comm port manually on your PC. For some reason with alot of non serial port laptops, the USB to serial converter device does not automatically select the correct comm port.

For XP operating system, plug in lead to PC and car and ignition to 2 or car started.
Go: start/control panal/system/hardware/device manager/ports/usb serial port

box will appear. Go: port settings/advanced and from here start at com1 in the port select box working your way up and checking for comms each time. Ok out of this when each variation is selected.

In VAGCOM (VCDS) go to program options and select com1. you may need to go through a few to find the one that works for you.

for my PC it is com 4 on both PC and VAGCOM.
Cheers mate but i did all this and worked for vcds but i need 409.1 and i tried on a vista laptop and it worked got the comport working but when i scan or do anyting it just comes up no response from controller i spent half the day tryin to get it workin :zx11:

nickeym1
14-02-2011, 11:32 PM
the 409.1 software was on the disc that came with it so i assumed it should work perfectly with it

burkey1
14-02-2011, 11:40 PM
there is a 409.1-S and a 409.1-US. S is the one you need.
I also believe you can not have 2 versions loaded on the PC at once and must manually uninstall/remove all componants/files before loading the correct version.

With 409.1-S, the driver correctly installed and all variations of comms ports on BOTH pc and program tested, then you most likely have a faulty device.

nickeym1
15-02-2011, 12:12 AM
there is a 409.1-S and a 409.1-US. S is the one you need.
I also believe you can not have 2 versions loaded on the PC at once and must manually uninstall/remove all componants/files before loading the correct version.

With 409.1-S, the driver correctly installed and all variations of comms ports on BOTH pc and program tested, then you most likely have a faulty device.
i havnt a clue which one it is it just says 409.1. Vcds lite works through the cable so it couldnt be a faulty cable. And it installs ok and everything on vista laptop but when connected and try to scan or do anything it jsut comes up NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLLER. I was thinking 409.1 would not run on my laptop because its windows 7 64bit maby:confused:

burkey1
15-02-2011, 12:27 AM
when you open 409 it will tell you what version it is on the top of the screen. I.E. Release 409.1-S.

XP and a 32 bit system is what I have it installed on. Sorry but Vista is a disaster....

nickeym1
15-02-2011, 01:08 AM
when you open 409 it will tell you what version it is on the top of the screen. I.E. Release 409.1-S.

XP and a 32 bit system is what I have it installed on. Sorry but Vista is a disaster....
ah ya i see its us but i have s aswell and tried it on windows 7 still no luck double click and nothing. Im thinking of putting xp on the other laptop and see if it runs smooth but the hassle of it :( plus its a laptop im selling so if it does work its only temporary solution and if it does not work ill be very annoyed after going to the hassle

burkey1
15-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Could you not try it another borrowed XP laptop first, just to check. Would be alot less hassle then loading a new operating system.

Dont have Win 7 but as far as i am aware, there is on XP option on this. This will allow you to run older programs with it.

Even the 409 manual highly recommends XP for usb operation, although this was written when Vista and 7 were not around

Sam
15-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Have you tried to run it XP compatibility mode?

nickeym1
15-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Have you tried to run it XP compatibility mode?
Yep tried them all vista xp all service packs 2000 95 none of them work i double click the vag com icon and the timer comes up for about 5 seconds and then nothing

nickeym1
15-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Could you not try it another borrowed XP laptop first, just to check. Would be alot less hassle then loading a new operating system.

Dont have Win 7 but as far as i am aware, there is on XP option on this. This will allow you to run older programs with it.

Even the 409 manual highly recommends XP for usb operation, although this was written when Vista and 7 were not around
I know it would be a lot easier but everyone i know is on either 7 or vista :( tried compatability mode but didnt work either

Sam
15-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Might be time to man up and get a proper cable then?

nickeym1
15-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Might be time to man up and get a proper cable then?
I would mate but they dont ship to ireland :zx11: and theres nowhere over here to get them

Sam
15-02-2011, 12:53 PM
There's a registered distributor for VCDS in Ireland, try them?

http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.html

nickeym1
15-02-2011, 01:14 PM
There's a registered distributor for VCDS in Ireland, try them?

http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.html
I rang them they want 349euro for it. Is he for real?? its a cable

Sam
15-02-2011, 01:22 PM
It's not just a cable though, it's a software licence, support, updates...

Your other option is to find a local member with VCDS or pay your nearest dealership to do whatever it is you want doing.

nickeym1
15-02-2011, 01:33 PM
It's not just a cable though, it's a software licence, support, updates...

Your other option is to find a local member with VCDS or pay your nearest dealership to do whatever it is you want doing.
Ya but if uk would ship the cable to me it only around 25 euro and i could buy a licence direct from ross tech for 99 dollars so where does the 349euro come from what i can see its 25 pluss 99 =124euro. Maby im missing something here

kite
15-02-2011, 01:36 PM
A genuine cable is around £250.
The 99 bucks is to register VCDS Lite....

nickeym1
15-02-2011, 03:47 PM
My apologies guys the link i was given was not a genuine cable http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGUSB.html but it states its from official ross tech suppliers whatever that means. I noticed in that link also it says 409.1 will not work on windows 7 with this cable but the ebay seller rang me today and i told him everything i had done to try get it working and he said there was nothing more i could do only send the cable back but he did say it works with 7 which is a lie because the software wont even start up never mind even getting to the driver stage.

Well i cant afford 350 euro so i may just get xp installed on other laptop and use 409 on that see how it goes thanks for the help guys :beerchug: