PDA

View Full Version : Day Running Lights

ilercom1
14-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi all I am new to the forum and have a 2010 cc gt 140 dsg, its brilliant but god it rattles, in the ******** now while they find them, but anayway back to my question. Can you turn DRLs on yourself? is it a dealer thing? etc. all advice welcome as well as pics with them on, I dont want to retrofit LEDs just want the same as the current golfs, polos etc. You will all laugh but having spent time in scandanavia I think DRLs are the way to go.

Gregmeister
14-02-2011, 12:31 PM
it can be programmed via the VCDS (Vagcom) system apparently

see this thread for more info (third page is probably most relevant for you)
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=113750

Drifty
14-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi all I am new to the forum and have a 2010 cc gt 140 dsg, its brilliant but god it rattles, in the ******** now while they find them, but anayway back to my question. Can you turn DRLs on yourself? is it a dealer thing? etc. all advice welcome as well as pics with them on, I dont want to retrofit LEDs just want the same as the current golfs, polos etc. You will all laugh but having spent time in scandanavia I think DRLs are the way to go.

Welcome aboard mate :beerchug:

Your CC rattles? :confused:

ilercom1
14-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the info, that looks scary to a layman like me, can the dealer do it if so will they charge me???

thanks for the welcome

ilercom1
14-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Yes rattles.....from around the key slot when cold, around the radio when warm, glove box when hot, parcel shelf most of the time, v disappointing but hopefully it will come back from the dealers all sorted.

Drifty
14-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes rattles.....from around the key slot when cold, around the radio when warm, glove box when hot, parcel shelf most of the time, v disappointing but hopefully it will come back from the dealers all sorted.

Wow, that's awful... not something you'd expect from a VW and especially not on a 2010 model of anything. I hope you you manage to get it fixed otherwise it'll drive you bonkers :yikes:

ilercom1
14-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Aye not had much luck so far, only 4500 miles and it has needed a water pipe, and got all the rattles then got scraped by a council road sweeper. Bugger Bugger Bugger.

SC03OTT
14-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Can you not activate the DRLs in the same way as the Mk6 Golf using the indicator stalk?

hartry
14-02-2011, 10:42 PM
If you have the xenon then you will have drl from the factory via the full beam section of the lens albeit via a different bulb 24/7. if you have halogen you can enable the drl (dipped beam only - no rear light) and have it selectable via the mfd with the following two codes:

Central electric byte 15 bit 7 to 1
Central electric byte 11 bit 2 to 1

then you can do drl via the mfd, when you tick it you get front dips no other lights when the HANDBRAKE IS OFF ONLY (hint for when programming it and thinking it's not working!) but you should probably also consider drl dimming cent electric byte 24 - do about 66% when on normal dip from what i remember on my b6.

Fill those boots!

hartry
14-02-2011, 10:44 PM
oh and a quick p.s:

this is based on my MY2011 car (post build week 45 2010) which I gather is a LOT different from the 2010.

:aargh4:

ilercom1
15-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks all, its on halogens, and no for some reason the DRLs dont cpme on when you do the stalk thing, followed the instructions in manual but no joy, I dont want to start messing with codes etc. way too scary for me, as knowing my luck with this car i will bugger something up which will cost a fortune to put right.

And now it got a nail and needs a new tyre......nice.

ilercom1
21-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Got car back all rattles fixed, dealer says DRls cannot be switched on by them???????

hartry
21-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Got car back all rattles fixed, dealer says DRls cannot be switched on by them???????

that's cos they don't have vcds and apparently it's not qite as straightforward with the dealer vas tool

Scooby-Doo
29-03-2011, 01:34 PM
I thought DRLs were mandatory after Feb 2011 ?? When do they come on,is there a minimum speed ?? My March 2011 doesn't appear to have DRLs.I don't particularly care one way or another,but just curious.I have halogen not xenon headlights.

hartry
29-03-2011, 02:20 PM
I have no idea how true this is, but I definitely read on one forum that new models introduced from Feb 2011 onwards have to have them, but it's not a requirement for newly produced examples of existing models introduced prior to that date.

FastEddieVW
29-03-2011, 03:04 PM
The 2011 updated CC (mine is March 2001) have Daytime Running lights, you activate them in the Convenience menu on the MFD.

hartry
29-03-2011, 03:12 PM
The 2011 updated CC (mine is March 2001) have Daytime Running lights, you activate them in the Convenience menu on the MFD.

I have turned that on in my car (Feb 2011) with VCDS, so now I can turn the DRLs on or off in the MFD like yours, but it wasn't like that from the factory :confused: Mine is definitely the 2011 model (new dash etc). Do you have Xenon lights as I believe all Xenon CCs, even prior to the 2011 ugrade, had DRLs on/off via the MFD and they are a separate bulb in the inside portion of the headlamp cluster?

hartry
29-03-2011, 03:13 PM
mine is March 2001

Presume you meant March 2011?

johnloaderuk
29-03-2011, 07:04 PM
This seems to suggest as of February this year all new cars should be supplied with daytime running lights in the UK.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/info-runninglights.pdf

hartry
29-03-2011, 09:28 PM
This seems to suggest as of February this year all new cars should be supplied with daytime running lights in the UK.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/info-runninglights.pdf

That document tends to back up what I said that not new vehicles but new vehicle types introduced and 'type approved' from Feb 2011 is what the DRL law applies to.

FastEddieVW
30-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Do you have Xenon lights as I believe all Xenon CCs, even prior to the 2011 ugrade, had DRLs on/off via the MFD and they are a separate bulb in the inside portion of the headlamp cluster?

I do have the Bi-Xenons yes, the DRLs are indeed a seperate bulb, like sidelights. I'm thinking of changing the bulbs actually as they are a little yellow for my liking especially with having Xenons.

Presume you meant March 2011?

I did, ha!

Drifty
30-03-2011, 10:46 PM
actually as they are a little yellow for my liking especially with having Xenons.

Can i ask a favour please? If you do this, could you post some info on what you bought, how easy to fit, etc - I was thinking about this the other day when I saw a cc with it's DRLs on.

ddave05
30-03-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't get why the CC doesn't have LED DRL's. I drive on the motorway on the way home and I see Mondeo's with LED DRL's (pretty bright and visible).

I thought VW were pushing the CC a bit more upmarket - looks so crappy with halogen sidelights/DRL's

prb1971
02-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi

I cant see an option to do this via the MFD?

thanks

Gregmeister
02-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Hi

I cant see an option to do this via the MFD?

thanks

It needs to be enabled as an option using vcds

hartry
02-04-2011, 04:12 PM
It needs to be enabled as an option using vcds

Ahem, the 'NASA tool' ;)

FastEddieVW
02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Ahem, the 'NASA tool' ;)

Which is? :confused: I'm after getting the mirror down option added to the list!

hartry
03-04-2011, 11:59 AM
An old joke ;)

You can't have mirror down unless you have memory seats unfortunately ;/

ednaroad
05-04-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't get why the CC doesn't have LED DRL's. I drive on the motorway on the way home and I see Mondeo's with LED DRL's (pretty bright and visible).

I thought VW were pushing the CC a bit more upmarket - looks so crappy with halogen sidelights/DRL's

:confused: Someone correct me if i'm wrong - but can't you just replace the existing filament bulbs with an LED one like this http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/DRLFOG-LED/H11/V-LEDS-HID-5K-WHITE-28-p8824328-1-2.html ?
Would that not give the desired effect?

Drifty
05-04-2011, 04:35 PM
:confused: Someone correct me if i'm wrong - but can't you just replace the existing filament bulbs with an LED one like this http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/DRLFOG-LED/H11/V-LEDS-HID-5K-WHITE-28-p8824328-1-2.html ?
Would that not give the desired effect?

Hi, I started to have a quick look at this - I contacted Autobulbs and they did confirm they had LED bulbs that could be used as direct replacements for DRL's but wanted me to confirm the existing bulb info so they could let me know what my options were.

Could you tell me what bulb is being used for DRL on the Xenon cluster headlamps pls?

ednaroad
06-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Got this list off the Osram site which might help

2011 VOLKSWAGEN CC (With halogen capsule headlamps)

Low beam headlamp
H7
H7SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
H7ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
H7XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
H7CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

High beam headlamp
H7
H7SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
H7ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
H7XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
H7CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

Parking light
2825ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
2825LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front turn signal
7506ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7506LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear turn signal

Tail light
921ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
921LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Stop light
7440ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7440LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

High mount stop light
Assembly

Fog/Driving light
H11
H11SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
H11ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H11XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

License plate
6418LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Back up light
921ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
921LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front sidemarker
2825ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
2825LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Glove box
2821LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Map light

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light
6418LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Trunk/Cargo area
2821LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

ednaroad
06-04-2011, 07:49 PM
And the Xenon list

2011 VOLKSWAGEN CC (With HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps)

Low beam headlamp
HID-D1S

High beam headlamp
H7

The rest are the same.

rmccardal
06-04-2011, 10:54 PM
^^
The HID (Xenon) setup in the CC is Bi-Xenon, so there is no low and high beam bulb. Just the one HID bulb and a clever electromagnetic shield that moves to create the high and low beams.

Drifty
08-04-2011, 11:42 AM
This is a pic of the DRL bulb for those that have the Xenon headlight cluster.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb459/driftyrob/38484b7b.jpg

I'm going to start looking for a whiter replacement and will let you know what I find out.

ednaroad
08-04-2011, 09:50 PM
How about these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Beetle-Passat-3B-3C-CC-Phaeton-SIDE-LIGHT-LED-BULBs-/270663429152?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f04cc2c20#ht_5370wt_1222

rmccardal
08-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Pic above is a P21W so would need something like

http://www.topsellings.com/en/68-smd-led-1157-2057-380-tail-stop-p21w-bulb-white-12v-p11302.html?language=en&currency=GBP

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=79

Drifty
09-04-2011, 01:14 PM
I was thinking something like this...

http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/Canbus%20white%2027%20SMD%20LED%20BA15s%201156%203 82%20bulbs

The CANBUS replacement appear to be the ones with a built in resistor so the onboard systems will not see it as a LED. Some other LED replacements need a separate resister to be fitted - the CANBUS options just seem simpler.

But at £20 a pop - I'm going to do more digging before I splash out. More into to follow....

ednaroad
10-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Had a closer look at the headlight setup on my halogen equipped car (see photo and ignore the dodgy photoshop work!)
The sidelight bulb is very small and a bitch to get at, so changing it may be difficult.
I also read somewhere else on here that the turning light is the fog light. This is not true on the halogen setup. There is an extra bulb with a shield around it which lights when the wheel is turned. This is much easier to get at and is a larger H7 type bulb that only operates when turning at slow speed. Maybe our resident Nasa Tool could figure out a way to use the fogs as a turning light and the existing turning light as a DRL?

Drifty
10-04-2011, 04:44 PM
this is an off topic comment - @ednaroad - loving your avatar!!!! :beerchug:

ednaroad
10-04-2011, 10:49 PM
this is an off topic comment - @ednaroad - loving your avatar!!!! :beerchug:
Ta, i'd love to say it's one i drew up earlier but there is already evidence of my photoshop skills on the previous post!! :D

logiclee
11-04-2011, 06:34 PM

Yeh even the new B7 has tungsten bulb for DRLs and they have even downgraded the rear lights from the B6's LED cluster back to tungsten bulbs for the B7. You only get LED if you raid the options list.

The new Mondeo (Apart from basic models) gets LED DRL's and LED rear light cluster.
I can't see why VW are holding back, Audi have really made a statement with their LED lighting, are VW afraid of stepping on Audi's shoes.

The new E Class really does make a statement with it's multi LED and Xenon front lighting and the massive rear LED cluster.
In contrast the rear of the new B7 Passat saloon looks like some Korean economy special.

Cheers
Lee

ednaroad
21-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Has anyone got any closer to an LED solution yet?
If someone can confirm for sure the type of bulb in the side light I will buy something to try out.

JonMarsh
22-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Just an observation in relation the fitting LEDs and the fact that some people report that the normal ones appear a little yellow. I’m probably being a bit thick here but I’ve seen reference to a percentage figure related to DRLs on various VCDS readings. Does the percentage figure relate to the percentage that the DRLs are illuminated (ie, not driven with the full voltage) implying that the brightness can be controlled. If this is the case then will LEDs be suitable if they are driven at a lower voltage?

hartry
22-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Just an observation in relation the fitting LEDs and the fact that some people report that the normal ones appear a little yellow. I’m probably being a bit thick here but I’ve seen reference to a percentage figure related to DRLs on various VCDS readings. Does the percentage figure relate to the percentage that the DRLs are illuminated (ie, not driven with the full voltage) implying that the brightness can be controlled. If this is the case then will LEDs be suitable if they are driven at a lower voltage?

I don't think so. AFAIK LEDs cannot be dimmed the way you would dim a normal filament bulb by reducing the voltage - they just stay lit down to a certain voltage then flicker and turn off below that voltage.

JonMarsh
22-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't think so. AFAIK LEDs cannot be dimmed the way you would dim a normal filament bulb by reducing the voltage - they just stay lit down to a certain voltage then flicker and turn off below that voltage.

That's what I thought - so the question is, are the DRL's running on full voltage or are they dimmed?

hartry
22-04-2011, 07:32 PM
That's what I thought - so the question is, are the DRL's running on full voltage or are they dimmed?

OK I see what you mean. Yes the DRL voltage can be dropped with the percentage setting in the CECM but if you want to run LEDs you would just set it to 100%.

JonMarsh
22-04-2011, 07:44 PM
OK I see what you mean. Yes the DRL voltage can be dropped with the percentage setting in the CECM but if you want to run LEDs you would just set it to 100%.

Is that something a garage will do or is it down to using VCDS?

hartry
22-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Is that something a garage will do or is it down to using VCDS?

Depends if the garage has got VCDS or not! Doubt that a VW dealtership will do it for you though.

JonMarsh
22-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Depends if the garage has got VCDS or not! Doubt that a VW dealtership will do it for you though.

In that case, what is the default setting for the DRLs and is it worth looking for an LED equivalent if they won't work without tweaking with VCDS (I haven't got my car yet and I'm getting via a lease - not sure what the consequences of changing settings on a lease vehicle)

hartry
23-04-2011, 08:40 AM
In that case, what is the default setting for the DRLs and is it worth looking for an LED equivalent if they won't work without tweaking with VCDS (I haven't got my car yet and I'm getting via a lease - not sure what the consequences of changing settings on a lease vehicle)

I think 100%

ednaroad
14-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I got bored of waiting so I went out and bought some LED 501 sidelights from Mylitco on Ebay - I've fitted them today and will post some pics when it gets dark so you can see the effect!

hartry
15-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Where are the photos then?

ednaroad
15-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Sorry had a few drinks last night and forgot.
Here they are - third pic with Headlight and sidelight, first and second pic sidelight only. Had to take some of them off centre as they are quite bright head on.

JonMarsh
16-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the pictures. It's a difficult thing to photograph and get a good idea of what they look like. The key point is: what is your subjective view? Do you like them and do they look a lot better than the standard ones?

Also, were they easy to fit and have you got a link to the ones you used?

ednaroad
16-05-2011, 11:41 PM
I just wanted something to use as a brighter DRL than the standard filament bulb, and in that respect they fit the bill as they are certainly brighter. There may well be better ones out there or even better LED's for different fittings in the headlight or foglight but for a £10 trial they are ok. The ones I bought are here - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/501-W5W-No-Canbus-Error-LED-Sidelight-Interior-Bulbs-/280587962572?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41545888cc#ht_4340wt_1228 - and you get two for your tenner.
They are easy enough to fit, a wiggle and a tug of the lamp holder and it pops free. They are polar sensitive so test and turn if necessary before you push the fitting back in.